JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to buy and save packets of heirloom seeds for a year or two with success by storing in an airtight jar and putting in the fridge. Same with the seeds from our garden. But now I just buy one of these every year and store them away in case of emergency. They are packed properly and the shelf life is longer:

Food For Health

Plus I have a couple of books on saving and storing seeds that can be referred to in an emergency.

Heirloom seeds are key If I remember right most will last a few years if they are stored correctly. Most plants have been bread to not produce seeds at this point because consumers don't want to pick seeds out. If you plant near someone else with a different strain you also risk cross pollination and your crop not producing seed.

It all depends on the seed, some will last a few years, some 1 or 2 and the germination rate crashes. The best thing you can do is grow a small amount each year and practice your seed saving. I used Seed Sowing and Saving: Step-by-Step Techniques for Collecting and Growing More Than 100 Vegetables, Flowers, and Herbs (Gardening Skills Illustrated): Carole B. Turner: 9781580170017: Amazon.com: Books this book to get me started. There are a few different ways to do it depending on the plant. I think this will be my 3rd generation on my peas 4th on my potatoes and second on my various greens.

I used to buy and save packets of heirloom seeds for a year or two with success by storing in an airtight jar and putting in the fridge. Same with the seeds from our garden. But now I just buy one of these every year and store them away in case of emergency. They are packed properly and the shelf life is longer:

Food For Health

Plus I have a couple of books on saving and storing seeds that can be referred to in an emergency.

Have you ever opened any of these and tried them out? I'd be nervous about getting ripped off buying a "doomsday" package. I could see somebody selling these neat little milar sealed packages and they turn out to be not what I want or won't grow... Then I'd really be up a creek.

"Yes please pay an arm and a leg for my seeds that you plan to save until SHTF. Oh they're REALLY good, I promise (insert evil laugh)"

Has anyone done this what seeds and methods have you used with success?
I have some organic seeds I bought at Walmart and vacuumed sealed in the regular clear bags and froze... Will this be ok? Does anyone have some more experience in preserving seeds that would be more productive?

Do you actually trust Walmart enough to belive that those are real organic seeds?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top