JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
^ Who's to say tin cans aren't made to be targets though? They have a long history of it, since the early 1900s. :)

But ya I know what you mean, I think it's really to discourage littering in state forests, which is where that regulation applies.

I never thought about the history behind it. Heck, now if I ever get a fine I'll print that post out and use it as my defense against the fine:s0114:

When you guys haul off trash from these places do you shell out the cash yourselves for disposing of the garbage?

Sorry for the late responses!! I thought I was subscribed to the thread, but I guess not :s0114:

It depends on the cleanup. At times the managing agency for that specific forest has allowed us to use their dumpsters, other times we had to foot the bill.

Silverton date announced - March 27th.

Gaust said:
Yep Seriously, If the forest service or the dump would foot the bill I'd spend a whole day with a trailer cleaning up.. They may if it was an organized event to clean an area up.
That's the direction I was heading with my question. The cost of disposing of the trash is what is a hindrance to me. I'd love to go clean up the garbage out their but I can't afford it. Have any of you ever contacted ODF about this?

With the last two "Adopt A Range" clean ups that have been organized at Brown's camp, the Tillamook State Forestry Service has provided us with S.O.L.V. bags and then hauled them away when we were done. It just needs to be organized and planned in advance. I think they are more than willing to help with disposal, they just don't have the manpower to clean up every mess out there. I'm sure that there is more opportunity for this type of adoption in other areas. If you need a contact with them or are interested in setting something up, just P.M. me and I can head you in the right direction.

With the last two "Adopt A Range" clean ups that have been organized at Brown's camp, the Tillamook State Forestry Service has provided us with S.O.L.V. bags and then hauled them away when we were done. It just needs to be organized and planned in advance. I think they are more than willing to help with disposal, they just don't have the manpower to clean up every mess out there. I'm sure that there is more opportunity for this type of adoption in other areas. If you need a contact with them or are interested in setting something up, just P.M. me and I can head you in the right direction.

This has already been arranged, this is normal procedure for our cleanups. :s0155:

Here's a cleanup just performed on Sat the 13th at Falls Creek Reservoir outside of Springfield.

Full run down is on the blog.
www.projectwilderness.wordpress.com

See everyone on the 27th for the Scott's Mills cleanup!! :s0155:

I plan on coming out for the 4/22 pick up at the China hat-horse butte site here in Central Oregon.
Also, I thought this area was cleared out by the BLM as a 'shooting area'
the 2 cars are gone and it always seems like it has been cleaned up every few months.
Although I pick up a lot of shells when I am there(mine and the extra shoguns and the big cases that are close to help with my conscious), and see a lot of brass-pickers, I know I'm responsible for some un-reusable casings and plenty of .22, I'll be there.

Is there a TIME (I work all night so I'm available all day)

I plan on coming out for the 4/22 pick up at the China hat-horse butte site here in Central Oregon.
Also, I thought this area was cleared out by the BLM as a 'shooting area'
the 2 cars are gone and it always seems like it has been cleaned up every few months.
Although I pick up a lot of shells when I am there(mine and the extra shoguns and the big cases that are close to help with my conscious), and see a lot of brass-pickers, I know I'm responsible for some un-reusable casings and plenty of .22, I'll be there.

Is there a TIME (I work all night so I'm available all day)

Sorry I put earth day (Thur), but the actual cleanup is the 24th (SAT) starting at 9am.

On the way back from the Scotts mill cleanup...we're dirty and we love it!! Great way to spend a morning and early afternoon... Being in the beautiful forest. Pictures and blog to follow...

One of several pictures.

It looked like that shooting pit that was originally shown above had been closed to shooting and bulldozed clean, It looked similar shape, size and layout as well as the GPS coordinates according to my hand-held were the same. So we drove through the forest and found a couple other smaller shooting spots that were trashed.

What exactly are the rules for targets on BLM land?

We typically shoot at split firewood. Stand 'em up, knock 'em down. Sometimes add a small spray paint bullseye. Afterwards, make a neat little pile out of sight and use again next visit.

What exactly are the rules for targets on BLM land?

We typically shoot at split firewood. Stand 'em up, knock 'em down. Sometimes add a small spray paint bullseye. Afterwards, make a neat little pile out of sight and use again next visit.

After the basic gun rules: know your target and what is behind it...

You can't shoot at trees, must have a good backstop
paper, potatos, boxes, or metal stands, wood, just carry out what you brought in.

Everything is set to go for next Saturday (24th) in Deschutes NF. The US Forest service is providing usage of there account at the local dump.

We'll be meeting at the Lost Track Golf Club at 9:30am.

Feel free to call me with any questions if anyone is interested in joining us. 503-484-6292

Hey project wilderness
That Shooting pit in the original post isnt closed down or bulldozed its about two miles up the road from the location in your second picture.

BUMP - Hope to see some of you out there, we can sure use all the volunteer help possible. The NF mapped out some dumped areas that include a hot tube, old couch and a variety of other items. Lets get these off our hunting and shooting grounds!!

We'll be meeting at the Lost Track Golf Club at 9:30am.

Feel free to call me with any questions if anyone is interested in joining us. 503-484-6292

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads