JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Here we go again for 2010! We took on a couple month project from Nov-Feb, so we're getting back on track for the spring to tackle public land cleanups once a month! Here is our tentative months schedule (no dates set as of today 3/2)

- March 27th, East of Salem in Silverfalls State park there is a recreational shooting area that needs cleaning. Google Maps Location

bf01dz.jpg

- April 24th(earth day - 22nd) I received an email from a Central Oregon hunter disgusted with dumping that's taking place on public land where he hunts, including items like regular garbage and a hot tub.
Horse Butte Road FS RD 1815
China Hat Rd-FS RD 18
It's SE of Bend in the Deschutes National Forest.
4/24 starting at 9am

- May 15th another group of local WA recreation shooters is requesting help on a cleanup they're trying to organize;
Info: Gravel Pit Cleanup
Date: May 15, 2010
Time: 0830

- June (exact date?) Received report of an area near Pigsah Home Rd. in the hills about 5 miles west of Scappoose. Debris includes TVs, Propane tanks, wood frames, etc.

Come join us if you can and make sure when you're out there you take out what you took in!! :s0155:

I would love to join in on the April cleanup. I don't know the area very well as I have only been shooting out there once and my hyundai isn't exactly the best off-road vehicle so if anyone else is heading out that way I would like to tag along.

Let me know to about the March cleanup too. One spot that could use cleaning up is off NFD 3000 by Mary's Peak. They have an open area, gravel lot) littered with Shotgun shells and random brass I can take a pic tomorrow when we head out there if the weather isnt bad.

I'd be willing to help with the cleanup at Silverton State Park depending on the weekend. One area I know of that really could use some help is Memaloose outside of Estacada. The first 6.8 miles have already been closed to shooting. There's a gravel pit just beyond that and some side roads further up that are really terrible. Shells everywhere, trash, and a few larger items.

Great thread! Keep up the good work!

Just hauled out a full bag of trash from Darrington and didn't even make a dent. I think if everyone hauled out one bag every time they went up we could keep some of these places open. We might even convert some of the idiots who dump the stuff into decent people.

I always pack out my garbage, I think I'm going to start bringing a big hefty bag and picking up stuff when I go and hopefully keep areas along the 26 clean and clear. There are a couple spots I go that are good that only have some brass on the ground, but there are others that have all sorts of garbage there. I think I'll start shooting there more often and getting that one clean.

Let me know what date you plan on going in March.

I just went there on Monday with my wife and friends. We picked up some trash when I was done shooting but there is just so much.

In another thread someone suggested taking a rake and shovel, which I'm going to do next time I'm up at Memaloose. Even hauling a few extra bags of trash out of where ever you are would help.

Yep :s0054: Seriously, If the forest service or the dump would foot the bill I'd spend a whole day with a trailer cleaning up.. They may if it was an organized event to clean an area up.

^What else are you gonna do with it?

Thanks phathom for your brilliant comment:s0155:

Yep :s0054: Seriously, If the forest service or the dump would foot the bill I'd spend a whole day with a trailer cleaning up.. They may if it was an organized event to clean an area up.

That's the direction I was heading with my question. The cost of disposing of the trash is what is a hindrance to me. I'd love to go clean up the garbage out their but I can't afford it. Have any of you ever contacted ODF about this?

Well right now I'm in apartment so I pay a flat fee for garbage pickup each month without a usage limit, so I'll try and pick up more for you other guys who can't. I'm also going to be picking up an actual target stand and paper targets so I won't be tearing apart as many cans and bottles out there. The bottles themselves aren't that hard, but the little chunks tend to want to hide and stay behind.

It's also my understanding that shooting at anything besides paper targets or other targets designed for firearms is against law at this point. So I think bottles and cans could wind up getting a person a fine if a deputy wanted to be a stickler. Not saying that I don't ever shoot at cans and bottles.....:D

^ Who's to say tin cans aren't made to be targets though? They have a long history of it, since the early 1900s. :)

But ya I know what you mean, I think it's really to discourage littering in state forests, which is where that regulation applies.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top