JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am and have been upgrading my Camera system to a HD 4K IR/Motion Night Vision .
I have a 720P monitor, and only has VGA and DVI. So not going to view the highest resolution on this monitor. My Security systems DVR has VGA and HDMI, but my monitor doesn't..... soooo.

Is a TV monitor or Computer monitor best to view security footage. Its something I am not super familiar with is monitors. The electronics and camera, setups no problem, but Monitor vs TV for security was never and issue until now as near everything was 1080P for along time. I have a 4K computer screen for my office computer and when I copy video its night and day from what I see on the screen I have.
The security system has instant play back, and zoom options on the fly so having a clear image that could see say a license plate clear would help. What I have now is just not enough pixies for anything over 65FT and around 1foot square. But when I copy it and zoom on my PC I can see clear, what I can't on the security monitor.

I need around 22-24" but must be able to use the full 4K, in case anyone is wondering, I am not needing 8K simply because the cameras are decent and cover a clear path where I need without having to over stress coverage. I have a healthy over lap of 8 cameras, that easily cover 50ft wide by 100ft deep.

I also can not go with a larger monitor, as my work space has two monitors approx the same size and there is not allot of room to add a larger screen. So why I realize its easier to get more options on a larger screen it wont fit my application.

I have verified the resolution and specs by downloading the files and using them on my PC which has 4K capability, and a 4K monitor. ( I can't swap as I use the high resolution on my PC for other things) I have software as well that verifies bitrate, FPS and resolution

Some Tech if you need.
  1. HDMI is what I want, I have VGA, Monitor I currently have is only VGA/DVI
  2. Current Resolution is 2560x1994 DVR recording
  3. 31FPS
Its a Samsung/wisenet unit I got because nothing is proprietary, I can add what cameras, drives, mouse I want with no issues. Ive had it a month or so now and works flawless. But noticed they must get some chips or something from China as over three days the price jumped 50.00 on this and other manufactures. Back on thought .............

Thoughts? Ideas, experience.

Do you have a 4K TV?

If not you can buy a 24" for probably $100.

My 55" was only just over $300.

Ive wondered how the TV and Monitor vary, I do see the TV's are allot lower. Just not sure how and why the vary so much. ( my large TV is just 1080P bought it years ago still works, not a huge TV watcher but no 4K , just the PC )

Ive wondered how the TV and Monitor vary, I do see the TV's are allot lower. Just not sure how and why the vary so much. ( my large TV is just 1080P bought it years ago still works, not a huge TV watcher but no 4K , just the PC )

Monitors tend to have faster refresh rates vs TV's for gaming and graphics. Since your using it for video I would grab a cheap one at Costco or somewhere that's having a sale and use it as a dedicated security screen.

My 14 year old 1080p plasma TV died around New Years and I got the same size 4K TV for just over $300 at Costco - less then the cost to even think about fixing the old plasma.

Since I already have a 4K TV my plans are to just hook up my security system to my 3rd HDMI port.

OLED screens run the risk of burn in, but UHD LED screens shouldn't have a problem. I use mine for gaming where HUD elements are static on the screen for hours at a time with no burn in.

I'll just address the DVI/HDMI port. Audio can not be transmitted through a DVI cable. Use an HDMI cable out from the DVR and simply put a DVI adapter plug on the other end to plug into your monitor. Vidio works just fine that way.

I have a LOT of monitors (7), three of them are 4K (one is a TV, the others are computer monitors).

The difference between a 4K TV and a 4K computer monitor is significant. The former is made for watching motion video, the latter is just as good at motion video (especially gaming monitors) but is much better than a TV for text and still images. The contracts and brightness of a computer monitor are much better than a TV but they also cost more.

If you have a 4K video source and you want the best quality image/video, then get a 4K computer monitor.

DVI & HDMI are the same video signal, just a different connector. The difference is that HDMI includes sound in the cable & connector. There are adapters to go from DVI/DVI-D to HDMI and back, but there are different version for HDMI - you need version 2.1 for 4K resolution and up.

There is also DisplayPort (DP) - which I prefer - but it has some disadvantages, e.g., the cable length can only be 3 meters long.

Most computer monitors today will have either DP or HDMI or both. Some will have DVI. You can get adapters to go between the different connectors.

Note that not all HDMI cables are created equal. Many of them do not carry audio out. In addition, not all HDMI ports provide for audio output. You need an HDMI ARC cable plugged into an ARC Port to get audio out. Otherwise, you will have to use HDMI for video and an optical cable for audio.

Oops.forgot to mention that HDMI ports are typically found on consumer entertainment products such as TVs, A/V receivers, DVD players and the like. Display Ports are generally found on PC monitors, computers and devices that use a different method to deliver audio. Display Ports are video only.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top