JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I recently purchased a replacement barrel so I could shoot reloads in my Gen 2 Glock 19. Since it was on sale I picked up a threaded SilencerCo barrel. I don't have a suppressor but who knows when that might change.

The barrel came with a thread protector. How do you secure these? It loosens significantly after just a couple of shots. What do the experienced shooters here recommend to keep this protector on the barrel? I don't like having to cinch it up every few rounds as that puts your hand in front of the muzzle of a loaded gun.

I've just been completely removing the protector while shooting, but I would much rather leave it on the gun rather than have to deal with a small loose part while shooting.

Thanks!

If you're ever in the Hillsboro area, take your barrel to Tornado Technologies and see if they have a thread protector with a tighter fit.

+1 for blue locktite.

Will hold it secure for about forever.

Grab some rubber/leather/rags and a channel lock to loosen it if and when you want too.

I would not use pipe thread tape. It is not designed for high barrel temps.

It sounds like blue Loctite is the way to go.. barring that, maybe try some red RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing)..

Red-1.gif

Before Loctite, we use a drop of varnish for thread locking nearly all things.
Can not remember if it is viable for hot things, but no harm no foul if it doesn't last as it will clean off with lacquer thinner.

Thanks for all the input guys. Good ideas here. I'm going to try a drop of varnish first, as I want to be able to switch between the factory barrel while I carry and the longer threaded barrel when shooting reloads. I should have mentioned this but did not think of it. I apologize.

The RTV is probably the next try. Looking at the barrel I don't think an o-ring would work. I don't think there is enough of a shoulder at the end of the threaded portion to keep a ring from rolling farther onto the barrel. Maybe a drop of nail polish would work like varnish? It would be easy to clean off if it didn't work.

Thanks again for the ideas, I'll give them a try and let you know.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top