JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's my problem:...

I have house and shop and small chunk of land in the middle of the city, nothing is secure and safe about any of that.
I want a small (at least 10ft) Cargo container outside of my shop when i can lock away excessive ammunition, reloading supplies, survival equipment, food etc. My wife will not allow it and thinks I've lost my mind for wanting a hideous cargo container in my backyard.

I've considered a standard wood or metal shed from costco or sears, but would like to have something sealed, and blast proof if possible.
I know with a cargo container and the quantities of scrap steal i have i could make it blast proof in a couple of days.

Also considered sending her out of town and burying it in my yard.. easier to ask for forgiveness?

What have you guys done to work around this?
If you've had similar issues help me out!

No wife here to tell me no, so I just bought I felt I needed and then increased that amount by 50% so i should be fine.

Personally I would do it, buy it and bury it in pvc tubes while she's not looking and don't even tell her about it, shtf she will love, if it does not hit the fan, then she does not need know, does she.

Sorry ladies, that is just would thing if it were me, I would go ahead and not tell you about if it were me.

Hope someone here can help with that one

Not a direct answer to your question, but when it comes to hiding/storing things a level of deception is in order. A shiny new storage shed with a giant padlock screams "break in - there are goodies in here!"

Think of places around your home, inside or out, that a thief would not suspect he would find ammo/items. Better yet, spread stuff around geographically. Some at a friend's house, etc.

I always am aware that there is a risk of being burglarized so spreading it around makes sense. Not all my eggs are in one basket, in fact, they are spread out over 30-50 miles.

One of the arguments against having physical metals, whether that be lead, silver, gold is that 'someone can rob you!' To that I say it is far easier for me to be robbed of things I entrusted to money men/banksters - any of that can be stolen with a keystroke.

Move farther out of town... I'm unfortunate to have to work in Medford, I wouldn't want to live there as well (and no I don't live in Ashland!, I prefer to keep my neighbors at rifle distances:p)

Maybe look for some smaller, locking metal tool boxes like those found on construction sites? Something <broken link removed> on Craigslist? Or maybe a <broken link removed> like this? Something you can put behind the shop. Or, you could look into getting a storm shelter that you bury in the yard to store things.

The best stuff is in the house w/ 135# Bull Mastif and visible alarm. Garage has iron bars and a triple latching and locking door. Also use stealth hidey holes and I chain and cable large objects together. It helps that I'm retired and am mostly at home. Good luck with your dilemma!
P.S. I assume that you have a gun safe. I also have a second large safe that holds a lot of our ammo. Both safes are securely bolted to the floor.

Last Edited:
Thanks for all your replies if i were to burry a container it would be this container V or very similar and i would design a waterproof and secure hatch i could hit under something heavy.
<broken link removed> like this? Something you can put behind the shop. ]

I would like to do something big enough where i can use as storage, and someplace to lay incase of SHTF and use as a workshop where i can reload ammunition, build guns or whatever.

I dig all the posts! and i will be moving out of town within the next 5 years, rifle distance is indeed where i want to be, instead of bb gun distance.
And as far as geography i do have a large stash of food firearms and ammunition in Ashland, but that won't solve my problems in this town.

I should have specified a little bit, would like something big enough to walk around in and reload, or hide if needed.

There are 50 gallon SmartBin containers available at Wal Mart, as well as large coolers. The SmartBins hold an amazing amount of supplies (Use them for batteries, ammo, guns, clothes, propane tanks, etc...) and can be sealed tight with a good bead of caulking and taped shut tight... put some dessicant in there of course, and any guns/ammo need a polybag. Coolers (cheap styro ones about $7, big Igloo types about $59 on sale) are used for your food, as they insulate and help protect against temperature changes. In the city, these can be stored under your house, even BURIED under your house... or in the garden or yard of course. No need for the wife to see any changes, and she will thank you later. This aside, get outta the city or find a place to go to and bury supplies THERE....

Thanks for all your replies if i were to burry a container it would be this container V or very similar and i would design a waterproof and secure hatch i could hit under something heavy.

I dig all the posts! and i will be moving out of town within the next 5 years, rifle distance is indeed where i want to be, instead of bb gun distance.

Out of town is the place to be:cool: I was just out splitting some more firewood, shut off the splitter to take quick break and heard some branches
breaking not too far away, took a glance around and a 3 point buck was putting his horns into some deadfall trying to get some attention. I guess its
his lucky day that I'm not a hunter, but I would in if things go south.

I remember seeing several postings by people that bought shipping containers and made above and under ground shelters out of them. One guy went as far as to weld three together into a small cabin.

Try doing a Google for Shipping container shelters.:s0155:

Jack...:cool:

just put up your storage container with your padlock then throw up a cheep plywood building over top of it with a small lock then mama is ok with the thing being there and it doesn't yell break into me

just put up your storage container with your padlock then throw up a cheep plywood building over top of it with a small lock then mama is ok with the thing being there and it doesn't yell break into me

Thats a good idea, cost me a little more but to a burglar would probably break into my shop before a wood shed.
Wife would be happy. i'm going to look into this, i appreciate all the replies!!

I wish i had deer here haha but worst case i have a family of garbage eating coons and a skunk here lol....
Fresh!!!!

A few welded on Tabs and 2x4s on the side and prefab trusses on top (Often cheaper than you can buy the wood)will take siding and a basic roof. With a little for thought even give you a option to insulate. and make it look like a basic shed.

Looks like you have a solution. I have a 40' conex along the tree line not far from the house - the wife said something the other day about wanting to paint trees/shrubs on the side so it will blend into the trees better the other day - I guess she just found a new project for me... While I'm at it I think I'll add an awning off the side so I can park an extra car or two under it out of the snow and rain.

Looks like you have a solution. I have a 40' conex along the tree line not far from the house - the wife said something the other day about wanting to paint trees/shrubs on the side so it will blend into the trees better the other day - I guess she just found a new project for me... While I'm at it I think I'll add an awning off the side so I can park an extra car or two under it out of the snow and rain.

Your wife sounds awesome! Is she any good at field fortifications?

One thing to be aware of: A 40' uninsulated storage container (conex) WILL cave in with 3' of soil on it. They are designed to support the weight on the corners and the top will cave in without additional support. I have seen 2 caved in containers, thankfully that was before I bought mine. They are wonderful storage, the insulated ones can be kept warm and dry with very little effort. Hot mop seal the roof and, if you bury it, provide additional support for the roof.

Hot mop seal the roof and, if you bury it, provide additional support for the roof.

Excellent point. Most of the "rain and wind tight" containers I have seen have something wrong with them that is not readily evident. I use them for dry lumber storage and if you climb up on the roof and look closely, there are dings, holes, and leaks that don't show from the ground. Hot mop is a great idea. I think. Is that something that you can just buy the stuff to do it at Home Depot, or do you have to hire the roofer guy with the big boiling kettle of black goo?

Why not take her to Home Depot and pick out a nice backyard shed slightly bigger than your planned 10 ft cargo container. conceal the container in the pretty shed. Have double security, keep mom happy and still accomplish your objective, without deceit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top