JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planning to sell my property. I am also considering doing some traveling before I buy a new property, and/or taking my time to find the perfect new location and quite probably have some construction happen before I live there. Also, when I do find a property, I will have a shop built on it and that may be the only building on, while I would do some traveling in the winter.

I am thinking of putting almost all of my belongings in a shipping container until such time as I have a building on the property.

I do not plan to store my guns and ammo in the container, but rather in a safe in my kids garage - buried under all the junk they have stored there (it is full to the brim). But I will have other things in the container I don't want messed with. I will enhance the container locking/security.

But where do I put the shipping container such that it is secure? The kids do not have room for it.

If you're talking shipping containers like 40', 40'HC, or 20GP… there's a lot of transportation businesses that deal with containers from the port terminals that will also securely hold containers for any kind of customer as long as you're willing to pay. I'd shop around for best price.

This is also a viable option that may be cheaper depending how much you have.

I've used them once when I moved here from Seattle. Forgot about them. I suppose if they stored the pod in a warehouse not accessible by others, it would be secure.

I would not want a POD that was stored outside - they are much less secure than a shipping container; the walls and the roof are plastic - somewhat thick plastic, but plastic. I would probably need two PODs but compared to buying a container and storing it someplace, this would probably be as cheap and more secure.

I've used them once when I moved here from Seattle. Forgot about them. I suppose if they stored the pod in a warehouse not accessible by others, it would be secure.

I would not want a POD that was stored outside - they are much less secure than a shipping container; the walls and the roof are plastic - somewhat thick plastic, but plastic. I would probably need two PODs but compared to buying a container and storing it someplace, this would probably be as cheap and more secure.
From what I've researched they do store them in one of those large industrial storage bays.

I agree it would be significantly cheaper than buying an actual container from the companies that own them (they may rent you one though).

From what I've researched they do store them in one of those large industrial storage bays.

I agree it would be significantly cheaper than buying an actual container from the companies that own them (they may rent you one though).
I would keep the container for storage anyway, but the problem is where to put it if I don't have a shop yet. A 40' container can be had for under $4K, but then I would have to pay to have it stored. The PODs are about 20' long so I would probably need two of them. Other stuff, not sure how I would store it; an a-frame hoist, a 275 gallon diesel tank, several shop tables, for example - not sure I could get the hoist into a POD.

Maybe I could rent somebody's shop?

I would keep the container for storage anyway, but the problem is where to put it if I don't have a shop yet. A 40' container can be had for under $4K, but then I would have to pay to have it stored. The PODs are about 20' long so I would probably need two of them. Other stuff, not sure how I would store it; an a-frame hoist, a 275 gallon diesel tank, several shop tables, for example - not sure I could get the hoist into a POD.

Maybe I could rent somebody's shop?
It might be worth it to get the 40' container, fill it up and have it shipped to your new location. Which sounds like you going for land. Empty it and turn the container into your shop with a little bit of modifications for electricity and some air flow. Plus a 40' container could make a good part storage and part work space together. 10' of storage and 30' of work space, even then maybe dig out a subterranean storage space and create a walk down from inside the container.

Are there any reasons why you are not considering those self-storage services that are available in many locations? Do you want a container styled storage because you want to be able to easily pick up the entire container and transport it to another location?

It might be worth it to get the 40' container, fill it up and have it shipped to your new location. Which sounds like you going for land. Empty it and turn the container into your shop with a little bit of modifications for electricity and some air flow. Plus a 40' container could make a good part storage and part work space together. 10' of storage and 30' of work space, even then maybe dig out a subterranean storage space and create a walk down from inside the container.
Problem is, it is quite possible I will not have a new location for 6-12 months. I may want to sell, store my stuff, and travel before I buy land again. I want to figure this out before I put my place up for sale as I expect it to sell quickly and the new owners wanting to move in quickly so they can sell their property while the market is hot.

Problem is, it is quite possible I will not have a new location for 6-12 months. I may want to sell, store my stuff, and travel before I buy land again. I want to figure this out before I put my place up for sale as I expect it to sell quickly and the new owners wanting to move in quickly so they can sell their property while the market is hot.
I get it, it was more of a off the cuff idea. Any cool places you plan on traveling to, If you don't mind me asking?

Are there any reasons why you are not considering those self-storage services that are available in many locations? Do you want a container styled storage because you want to be able to easily pick up the entire container and transport it to another location?
Several reasons - self-storage units are notoriously insecure; most are just plywood walls between units and it is not uncommon for someone to rent a unit, break into the neighboring unit, steal stuff, and then be gone long before anybody is the wiser. I plan to travel for 3-6 months, I don't want to worry about my stuff while I am laying on a beach in Tahiti.

And yes, I don't want to pack up and move stuff twice. A container or a POD would allow me to do that only once. I may have to get a unit or something for the bigger heavier stuff like the a-frame hoist.

I get it, it was more of a off the cuff idea. Any cool places you plan on traveling to, If you don't mind me asking?
I want to take a plane to Hawaii, layover there for a week, then fly to Tahiti, spend a week or two there, then a plane to New Zealand for 3 months or more and rent a place there while exploring. I would start doing this when the weather turns bad here.

I may or may not find land before I leave, but either way I don't want to be in a hurry like I was last time. Meanwhile, I would stay at my kids house when I am in the area or rent a small apartment for a short time until I find a new property.

Several reasons - self-storage units are notoriously insecure; most are just plywood walls between units and it is not uncommon for someone to rent a unit, break into the neighboring unit, steal stuff, and then be gone long before anybody is the wiser. I plan to travel for 3-6 months, I don't want to worry about my stuff while I am laying on a beach in Tahiti.

And yes, I don't want to pack up and move stuff twice. A container or a POD would allow me to do that only once. I may have to get a unit or something for the bigger heavier stuff like the a-frame hoist.
This might be what you're looking for:

They have both on-site and off-site containers, you might want to call them and ask if they can deliver the container to your place, have you load it up and then come collect and store it at their location.

Good luck with your move and travels! :)

This might be what you're looking for:

They have both on-site and off-site containers, you might want to call them and ask if they can deliver the container to your place, have you load it up and then come collect and store it at their location.

Good luck with your move and travels! :)
Yeah, something like that, but in the Portland/Vancouver area.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top