JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Taking nothing for pain is not what I meant at all. But having the experience of attending a chronic pain management clinic for a year, I'm of the opinion that it was beneficial. There were 20 people in a group therapy setting and I can say that 100% of those people were better off, more well adjusted, happier, once they learned acceptance of their situation. Fighting it, resenting it, wanting it to just go away, heightens the sensitivity and perception of pain. Then you get a feedback loop that just makes the pain worse. Take your meds. Accept your pain. Life will be as good as it can be.

Yes well, I have diabetic peripheral neuropathy, massive arthritis in my neck and back and too many joints to count, bursitis, tendonitis, neck spasms, and maybe even colon spasms. ;) I attended a pain management group therapy clinic for a year. I'm guessing that the counselors you spoke with felt that you weren't fighting the pain and therefore didn't need a heads up. But the great preponderance of people with chronic pain do fight it, resent it, just want it to go away, thereby making their pain worse and their lives unhappy. The biggest surprise and initial disappointment for me was when I found out that the Pain Management clinic wasn't going to make the pain go away... it achieves a better accommodation with the pain. If you are doing pain counseling, you know that!!
Sorry, I read your previous post as promoting it as a substitute. If we're actually at "why not both" I like that.

Sorry, I read your previous post as promoting it as a substitute. If we're actually at "why not both" I like that.

Yup! See I had the same misperception when I attended pain clinic... I thought they had some magic that was going to reduce my pain... not. Imagine how bummed I was at first. :)

Yup! See I had the same misperception when I attended pain clinic... I thought they had some magic that was going to reduce my pain... not. Imagine how bummed I was at first. :)
Yeah. I didn't go because I was encouraged not to as I was managing on lower doses of meds than the local pain clinic was providing and at the time, they were using opiates and I don't want to go down that path as they do impair me. I don't like feeling impaired. And my current med regimen is pretty straightforward and works for me without any impairment. And when I say works for me, I don't mean the pain is gone. I am just mostly functional.

Yeah. I didn't go because I was encouraged not to as I was managing on lower doses of meds than the local pain clinic was providing and at the time, they were using opiates and I don't want to go down that path as they do impair me. I don't like feeling impaired. And my current med regimen is pretty straightforward and works for me without any impairment. And when I say works for me, I don't mean the pain is gone. I am just mostly functional.
I'm the same way. Pain killers these days don't seem to do much for the pain until I'm half zonked out. I don't care for that at all, and almost never take anything for more than two days because I hate the fog it puts me in. The amount of expired pain killer I've thrown over the years out would probably make a junkie cry.

Seeeeeee, there is no such thing as the pain going away. Patients have to be taught to deal with it!!

@Wombat of Doom So, what's the deal with VR re: breakthrough pain... takes you to a place where you're getting a header or what? Send me a PM please.

I too am in constant pain from my throat rendering me for all practical purposes mute. (can't speak but maybe 10 whispered works a day, but sometimes can't speak for weeks, as it makes my throat feel like it's been sandpapered) shoulder joint/hip pain from being battered from crashing from in-line skating accidents to crashing bicycles to endurance training grind of various sorts taking a helluva toll on my body resulting in painful this or that...

My daily intake of medicine: one 15 mg Meloxicam - that's it.

I've never taken any pain management seminars, but learned long ago that pissing and moaning won't help, so I suck it up and keep on trucking...works for me. Ouch, ow, ow!!! Big deal, ow, ow,...and so it goes!

I'll rest when I'm dead.

The stuff we had in the 70's would at least make the pain bearable without making me a zombie.

Ganja man! Didn't work for me, Maui Wowie and Acapulco Gold just made me more body aware and sensitive, that's why sex is so good when stoned, and I had increased pain. Today's Full Spectrum CBD from the entire hemp plant works really well for my arthritis pain. And I took my first Sumatriptin for tension migraine the other day, since the VA won't let me have opiates any more to control the neck spasms. It worked! But I never had issues with opiates since I used them less than 3 days at a time... anything over that and I became nauseated and couldn't take a leak. Also, weirdly enough, my colonoscopy prep went to 4 days worth of that poison due to both diabetes and vicodin slowing contractions of the colon that move food thru. Not using opiates now, should I look forward to my next colon prep? I don't think so!!! ;)

Ganja man! Didn't work for me, Maui Wowie and Acapulco Gold just made me more body aware and sensitive, that's why sex is so good when stoned, and I had increased pain. Today's Full Spectrum CBD from the entire hemp plant works really well for my arthritis pain. And I took my first Sumatriptin for tension migraine the other day, since the VA won't let me have opiates any more to control the neck spasms. It worked! But I never had issues with opiates since I used them less than 3 days at a time... anything over that and I became nauseated and couldn't take a leak. Also, weirdly enough, my colonoscopy prep went to 4 days worth of that poison due to both diabetes and vicodin slowing contractions of the colon that move food thru. Not using opiates now, should I look forward to my next colon prep? I don't think so!!! ;)
Sounds great, but pot is not currently an option for me. Glad to hear you found something that works.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top