Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Secret recipes for stubborn dirty bore?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by taylor, May 20, 2012.

1. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I got 2 guns, 1 rifle+1pistol with cruddy, leaded, copperized barrels. No matter how much I scrubb , its still filthy.
    What do you guys do with removing years of crud?
    What about soaking in white vinegar?

2. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

3. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Especially for leaded pistol barrels, I would swab them with JB bore cleaner and let them sit for several hours or overnight and then use a Lewis Lead Remover. This was years ago. There are probably as good or better copper and lead cutting solutions today, but this is what we did back in the day.

4. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

5. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Lead needs to be attacked seperately from the copper.

Lead: Chee-to is on the money with the Lead-away cloth. Very thick (almost canvas-like), impregnated with a yellowish abrasive.

Copper: Blitz is probably right down my alley with his suggestion (but I use Montana Extreme Copper Solvent).

And now you can check the website statistics for how many Members there are, and prepare yourself for at least that many different suggestions as to how to clean a gun. (You will note that I did not contribute to that flood. I merely was a parasite riding on Chee-to and Blitzkrieg.)

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  6. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

:thumbup:

7. Mason3379

Mason3379 Oregon City Active Member

I have had good luck with KG Products. They offer products specifically for what you are having issues with. Different formulas for copper, carbon, and so on. They also have a product called "bore restore" which works pretty well for caked barrels. Good luck!

8. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

A DIY electrolysis tank while mainly for rust removal with out damaging the remaining finish, I have found they do a fantastic job on old mil-surp bores. Dark pitted bores have come out shinny with smaller appearing and fewer pits.

Before
    receiver.jpg

After
    receiverafter.jpg

9. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Wow you really did a great job , How long did it sit in the tank to get it like that? did you get similar results inside the barrel?

10. Ramjet12

Ramjet12 PNW Member

I want to know more about the DIY electrolysis. I could use that on other things besides gun parts.

11. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yeah, what he said...OR...have you tried plugging the bore either at the breech or muzzle, and pouring it full of Hoppe's No. 9 or a copper solvent or a lead solvent, letting it sit overnight and then taking a phosphor bronze brush to the mess?

You've got to be careful with certain abrasives because they just "might" mess with your rifling. Not saying they will, but they Might.

12. acp

acp Tangent Active Member

I glued end caps on pvc pipe just longer than my longest barrel and sliced off the side to make a bathtub for my barrels thart are leaded up(or copper)

13. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

The two top stickies here are DIY E tanks. You need a larger plastic tank, 10-20 bucks at Bi-Mart. A battery charger (wall wart), some wire and sacrificial metal.

DIY tank