JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Especially for leaded pistol barrels, I would swab them with JB bore cleaner and let them sit for several hours or overnight and then use a Lewis Lead Remover. This was years ago. There are probably as good or better copper and lead cutting solutions today, but this is what we did back in the day.

Lead needs to be attacked seperately from the copper.

Lead: Chee-to is on the money with the Lead-away cloth. Very thick (almost canvas-like), impregnated with a yellowish abrasive.

Copper: Blitz is probably right down my alley with his suggestion (but I use Montana Extreme Copper Solvent).

And now you can check the website statistics for how many Members there are, and prepare yourself for at least that many different suggestions as to how to clean a gun. (You will note that I did not contribute to that flood. I merely was a parasite riding on Chee-to and Blitzkrieg.)

Lead: Chee-to is on the money with the Lead-away cloth. Very thick (almost canvas-like), impregnated with a yellowish abrasive.

Copper: Blitz is probably right down my alley with his suggestion (but I use Montana Extreme Copper Solvent).

And now you can check the website statistics for how many Members there are, and prepare yourself for at least that many different suggestions as to how to clean a gun. (You will note that I did not contribute to that flood. I merely was a parasite riding on Chee-to and Blitzkrieg.)

:s0155:

I have had good luck with KG Products. They offer products specifically for what you are having issues with. Different formulas for copper, carbon, and so on. They also have a product called "bore restore" which works pretty well for caked barrels. Good luck!

A DIY electrolysis tank while mainly for rust removal with out damaging the remaining finish, I have found they do a fantastic job on old mil-surp bores. Dark pitted bores have come out shinny with smaller appearing and fewer pits.

Before
receiver.jpg

After
receiverafter.jpg

Yeah, what he said...OR...have you tried plugging the bore either at the breech or muzzle, and pouring it full of Hoppe's No. 9 or a copper solvent or a lead solvent, letting it sit overnight and then taking a phosphor bronze brush to the mess?

You've got to be careful with certain abrasives because they just "might" mess with your rifling. Not saying they will, but they Might.

I glued end caps on pvc pipe just longer than my longest barrel and sliced off the side to make a bathtub for my barrels thart are leaded up(or copper)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top