JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just so I understand your question, do you currently use your 870 for HD and also want to use it ( or buy a new one) for hunting/skeet?

If that's the question, then I would suggest getting another 870 with a home defense barrel, an extension tube and maybe an upgraded stock ( maybe even with a pistol grip) Having a dedicated HD shotty is nice and much more convenient.

Just so I understand your question, do you currently use your 870 for HD and also want to use it ( or buy a new one) for hunting/skeet?

If that's the question, then I would suggest getting another 870 with a home defense barrel, an extension tube and maybe an upgraded stock ( maybe even with a pistol grip) Having a dedicated HD shotty is nice and much more convenient.

I already have the 870 with the home defense barrel and extension tube (the one pictured in the link) and would like to either have a different gun to use for hunting/skeet or get a hunting/skeet barrel for my current gun.

Sorry Modeler....I didn't even look at your link. ha,ha...

Anyway, I waterfowl and bird hunt over in Central Oregon and have several shotguns. My response is that it really depends on how into skeet and hunting you're going to want to get. I have a couple of 870's and they're great, but they're not like a true dedicated Benelli or Beretta semi auto shotgun for hunting. There not even on the same planet as far as fun and ease of use. So, what I saying is, if you are going to occasionally shoot skeet or hunt birds, just get another barrel. If you're going to go a lot, look into a nice semi auto shotgun.
All the best!
PS - I like your 870 too!

Do you want one gun or two? Either way it is how much money you want to spend. You can do what you want with either direction. Personally I would go with the barrel. Cheaper and I like mulit-use weapons.

Depends on if you want to remove the barrel and extension tube every time you want to shoot skeet. I would just buy another and avoid the hassle they can be found fairly cheap used.

I like the versatility of configuring the shotgun for the task at hand, I have a Model 1100 that I have both a short and long barrel for, the long barrel has screw in chokes so I can shoot trap/skeet/birds with it. I also have a youth stock and regular stock because my wife shoots the gun as well. I can go from my wifes home defense short stock, short barrel, plug out 5 rounds of 00 buck zombie eradicator to my long stocked, long barrel, full choke bird hunter in just a couple of minuets.

I guess it's the same as the AR upper/lower thing, huh?

"I've got two uppers I can use on this lower, interchangeability is cool!"

"Yes, but then you have to change them out and you only have one gun anyway. Why don't you just pony up the $250 for an extra lower?"

Sigh....

As a registered trap shooter and an occasional skeet shooter, let me say this to answer your question. To do a good job, use the right tool. You can use a wrench to pound a nail. But why would you when a hammer is made to do the job.

Not saying you can't shoot trap or skeet with a pump gun, because many shooters have and have done a good job doing it. But a pump gun is a work gun. Hunting, home defense. Trap and skeet guns are target shotguns. Made for that purpose. Same as target rifles. You can use them for hunting, but why would you. Hunting rifles can be use for target shooting, but serious target shooting, get a rifle made for it. Same with a shotgun.

And while I'm at it, people that shoot a lot of shotguns don't call them "shottys". Sounds stupid. Too much TV. And why would you need a 7 round magazine for home defense. Five rounds in a house is scary enough. Again too much TV.

Excuse you,
4 posts in doesn't make you an expert no matter your pedigree. Lots of people call shotguns "shottys'....and 7 round mags for HD is bad in your eyes? Geez, maybe you should see my Saiga?

Excuse you,
4 posts in doesn't make you an expert no matter your pedigree.
Just because I don't post doesn't mean I don't know to shoot.

"Lots of people call shotguns "shottys'" Only in your little "posting world"

I have no problem with a 7 or even a 50 round magazine. But if you can't hit an intruder in your house in 5, you need to quit buying all the aftermarker hype and go pratice.

Just because I don't post doesn't mean I don't know to shoot.

"Lots of people call shotguns "shottys'" Only in your little "posting world"

I have no problem with a 7 or even a 50 round magazine. But if you can't hit an intruder in your house in 5, you need to quit buying all the aftermarker hype and go pratice.

I never said you didn't know how to shoot. What I can tell you is that every forum loves having the guy with less than 10 posts inflict their opinion on others as it were gospel.
As far as multiple rounds in a weapon, there is a reason a multi-round shotgun exists - its fun to shoot, otherwise the idea of 30 round mags for AR's would have never gotten off the ground.

I'll give you my 2 cent opinion. I have the same HD shotgun and got a separate one for Trap.

The barrel's not the only thing different in Trap. The stock comb is also higher in order to get proper eye alignment. Even if you changed out the barrel you'd be adding a pad to the stock to raise your eyes. Not a difficult task but I think having a separate gun for the sport is the better route.

Another benefit is that if you're tired and don't feel like switching the barrel back you've still got your HD unit prepped and ready. I also think that running the same gun in Trap as HD will give you better handling skills and you'll cycle the pump more successfully with fewer short strokes. No worries about having to replace the barrel, light, remove the stock pad, reload with appropriate loads, etc . . . It's already ready to go.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top