JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is just another reactionary piece written by someone who is clueless and wants to legislate against stupidity.

<broken link removed>

I posted a comment there (I'll post here too) but of course it won't get through to the very dim Nicole Brodeur:

accessbob said:
Nicole - Your article is full of just plain stupid and ignorant remarks.

You wrote, "Clearly, Washington state needs to establish tougher gun laws that, at the very least, require guns be locked up around children. Trigger locks would help, too."

Why is that clearly? Are you really that naive to believe that making the laws tougher are really going to change things? No, it just glosses over the fact that people make stupid mistakes and sometimes those are fatal. It happens with cars when people hit the accelerator instead of the gas. Shall we pass tougher laws requiring a special button be pushed along with the gas pedal when accelerating so that the brake and accelerator can't be mixed up? Or cars also hit and kill people (actually the ones driving the cars hit them). What do you propose for that? They even hit people who are in the crosswalk. Shall we enable tougher laws to keep that from happening?
Also, in one of the cases, the parent of the boy who took the gun to school, was not even supposed to have guns in the house. So, a gun lock law would stop that? Sure, a felon who doesn't follow laws isn't going to mind following another law which states that they must have a gun locked up when children are around. That is sheer stupidity to believe that.

The lesson that should be taken out of this is that people do stupid things all of the time. Even people in authority positions like police officers. You can't legislate against stupidity. You just can't. It won't fix anything. Stupid will still happen. And there are currently enough laws to punish those who were stupid and caused a tragedy to occur through their actions. It is called negligence.
So, GET A CLUE! No more trying to add law after law after law to deal with stupidity. It just will not work.

Reading the news out of Washington, and some of the comments over on another thread about some guy worrying because his one year old child promised not to touch his gun, but went ahead and did so anyway, I come away with the impression that there are some truly magnificent morons out there.

It's not a difficult concept; you got kids around, lock up your efing guns.

I welcome legislation that emphasizes the responsibility factor of gun ownership: Your gun hurts somebody, it's on you, unless you have taken serious measures to prevent that.

What I find so overwhelmingly unbelievable is that such legislation would be necessary. Jesus, this is not rocket science.

Reading the news out of Washington, and some of the comments over on another thread about some guy worrying because his one year old child promised not to touch his gun, but went ahead and did so anyway, I come away with the impression that there are some truly magnificent morons out there.

It's not a difficult concept; you got kids around, lock up your efing guns.

I welcome legislation that emphasizes the responsibility factor of gun ownership: Your gun hurts somebody, it's on you, unless you have taken serious measures to prevent that.

What I find so overwhelmingly unbelievable is that such legislation would be necessary. Jesus, this is not rocket science.

There oughta be a law! But where does it end? What are serious measures? Think those measures won't be used to take away your self defense rights? Look at the prescription requirement for sudafed. Im a poor bastard with a bad cold looking for cheap relief and the next day I need a doc's permission slip and 2-3x more cash. All because I might be a drug seller/dealer/user. Has it worked in stopping the scourge of meth? Not really. Those bilboard ads and websites showing people what happens to meth users has probably been more effective.

I am probably not the best guy to use a drug prohibition example on to make your point...I don't believe that there should be any drug prohibitions. I believe education and treatment are far more effective than creating a very lucrative black market.

And I am not necessarily a huge supporter of more laws; I am, however, a huge supporter of responsible gun ownership.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we were not having this discussion because every moron out there, who believed that because they told their kid something, their kid was listening / understood / obeyed; and had suddenly realized that their kid is a kid, and doesn't have the faculties to comprehend and, just perhaps, they ought to lock the efing guns up.

So until that glorious day when these ignorant hillbillies decide that kids with holes in them is not conducive to convincing those left and right wing fear mongers that guns are not the problem but rather "idiots with guns" is the problem (stolen from a compatriot over on the liberal gun club), and put away their toys... I guess legislation is the next best thing.

I am probably not the best guy to use a drug prohibition example on to make your point...I don't believe that there should be any drug prohibitions. I believe education and treatment are far more effective than creating a very lucrative black market.

And I am not necessarily a huge supporter of more laws; I am, however, a huge supporter of responsible gun ownership.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we were not having this discussion because every moron out there, who believed that because they told their kid something, their kid was listening / understood / obeyed; and had suddenly realized that their kid is a kid, and doesn't have the faculties to comprehend and, just perhaps, they ought to lock the efing guns up.

So until that glorious day when these ignorant hillbillies decide that kids with holes in them is not conducive to convincing those left and right wing fear mongers that guns are not the problem but rather "idiots with guns" is the problem (stolen from a compatriot over on the liberal gun club), and put away their toys... I guess legislation is the next best thing.

I am not for any prohibitions...how about that. If you had no gun laws at all...any, the general public would have no more "accidents" or missuse of firearms then the Law Enforcement community has now, and they are about as trained and controlled as to "gun safety" as it gets. Stupid. The State and National constritutions say your "Right" to bear arms shal not be infringed..If everyone wasn't so uptight about guns on airplanes, 9/11 could have never happened....think about it...gun control is hitting the target. The only way you will stop car accidents is to take cars off the road completely.

It has been shown that those that are afraid, are afraid of themselves, and assume everyone else could possibly do the same. If you want to lock up all your firearms so they are inaccessable to anyone, they will be inaccessable to you too. think about it.

I started wearing seatbelts in 1958 (when you had to special order them)...and I used mine. But, you know what, I think seat belt laws are an infringement on our freedoms and I am totally against them, drug laws, any nanny government law. If you wanted to park a fully opperational Abrams tank or Cobra heicopter in your yard and you lived next door to me...I would not care,,,verstehn> It means nothing to me unless you damage my property, or threaten my life...if you want to be free you have to allow the other guy do his thing..OK?

First of all, as a "hillbilly" I resent that remark. Secondly, in the instant cases, one was a felon and shouldn't have a firearm anyway, one was a cop and laws are written to exclude them. Only in the third case was the individual a person a law would address....so you want all guns locked up in the presence of children. So if I am carrying my sidearm and a kid comes over I have to take it off and lock it up? (not what you suggested, but the way the law would probably be written. )

Ignorant Hillbilly? Hum...I have a Masters and an MBA, retired from owning my own business. Oldest daughter is a graduate nurse (from the big school there in OR) graduate Suma *** Laude, her husband just got out of the military and is working on his PhD in GIS...youngest daughter graduated from WSU Magna *** Laude with a dual major, animal science, and Fine Arts.

Am I, are we, hilbillies? well, depends on what you call a hillbilly...we live 20 miles outside a small town (<1000), 2000' above the valley on the side of a mountain, in a cabin, with 5 miles of dirt and gravel road between us and blacktop....Hillbilly? Maybe...I do not find the term derogatory,,,,, Ignorant? I don't think so.

Lock up your guns. Who's the ADULT PARENT in the house? My family, 9 kids. My wifes family,11 kids. Guns and ammo in eather household where ever locked up. Never saw the need. Starting at diaper stage, hands off the guns! No debate or discussion! Don't get it? Leather applied to butt clears any issues child has about touching guns. When child was old enough it was time to start to teach them how to handle and fire the guns. 8 year old wants to shot Grandpa's double barrel 12ga? Show him how and let shot it. Knocked me on my a##, but I did it. The kids friends in the house?? Where is the suppervising PARENT??

When are properly taught, guns are no longer a big deal to them. Nothing cool, they are just there.

L. Who's the ADULT PARENT in the house? My family, 9 kids. My wifes family,11 kids. Guns and ammo in eather household where never locked up. Never saw the need. Starting at diaper stage, hands off the guns! No debate or discussion! Don't get it? Leather applied to butt clears any issues child has about touching guns.

That worked for me, never was anything was locked up, and I knew where they were, but I knew better. Not once while my brother and I was growing up was there a problem. Against being forced to lock them up. A locked gun, is as good as no gun.

Didn't work on me, when home alone I shot every gun in the house when my parents were gone from the time I was 12. They never found out, but they were kind of clueless. Guns were always hidden in the closet, never locked.

Even though both my kids shoot with me often, mine are always locked, even the pellet guns.

I our house, guns are locked up unless they are in the personal control of my wife or me. Keeps them from being stolen and keeps unauthorized folks away from them.
That means that if I (or she) feels the need I have one with them (in hand, bedside, one table/floor beside them, etc.) they are not locked or locked up and they are loaded.
What the hell good would it be to me locked up or unloaded? Wait, wait, BG wait, I need to get my defense weapon and make it ready to use!!!
Ed

So, you're for creating laws for everyone based on the stupid actions of the few?

So you're for creating a ban of making it so your car can't go above 70mph? After all, why do you need a car to go faster than any posted speed limit? Lets go one step further...because kids die from drowning, you need to have a fence around your pool if you want to own one to protect kids from drowning.

What am I saying? Kids die all the time from stupid crap...that's right, I said it. Plain stupid crap. Someone left the oven on with their kid on the counter and someone left an item small enough to swallow but big enough to choke on the floor. What does that mean? That means that stupid people do stupid things. Kids do things that we think are stupid as well...but they don't know any better. Sometimes accidents happen...and sometimes you did a stupid thing (like leave a gun within an arm's reach of a child). Who should be punished? You. Why? Because you made a decision to place the gun there, the stove on or leave the child unattended around a pool. Does that mean we should all suffer? No. Anyone that thinks otherwise should probably check themselves, because if you ever left a knife out for your child to cut them self then just did what the aforementioned did...except times ten. He did a stupid thing...no doubt, but not all gun owners should suffer.

Well I may be a hillbilly. Being ignorant means you don't know something. Being stupid means your a flatlander that thinks feeding his family means going to the store or McDonald's.

Hillbilly's - damm straight.
Ignorant No. we anit liberals

35678m.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads