JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hope she learned a lesson on how useless something like that is if you don't know how or are unwilling to use it.
I am of the opinion that the primary self-defense weapon a woman should have is a gun. Not because I think they can't learn to use other weapons, but because in most cases the criminal aggressor is a man, which puts the woman at a distinct physical disadvantage; and most non-gun weapons that I know of are for use in close-quarters to the opponent.

I'm afraid that a lot of self-defense classes for women (and entertainment culture in which tiny women are seen taking out gigantic men alone or in groups) give them a false sense of security in the event of close-in engagements. Maybe the woman in this story had taken classes (or watched YT videos) on baton usage, or perhaps not; but either way, she was easily disarmed by an intoxicated man, and the weapon was then used against her and her father.

This is the lesson we should draw from close-quarters female vs. male altercations: women in general can't physically compete against the man and therefore should look to self-defense measures that work from a distance. In other words, a gun.

Whenever my wife leaves the house, I remind her to take her gun.

I am of the opinion that the primary self-defense weapon a woman should have is a gun. Not because I think they can't learn to use other weapons, but because in most cases the criminal aggressor is a man, which puts the woman at a distinct physical disadvantage; and most non-gun weapons that I know of are for use in close-quarters to the opponent.

I'm afraid that a lot of self-defense classes for women (and entertainment culture in which tiny women are seen taking out gigantic men alone or in groups) give them a false sense of security in the event of close-in engagements. Maybe the woman in this story had taken classes (or watched YT videos) on baton usage, or perhaps not; but either way, she was easily disarmed by an intoxicated man, and the weapon was then used against her and her father.

This is the lesson we should draw from close-quarters female vs. male altercations: women in general can't physically compete against the man and therefore should look to self-defense measures that work from a distance. In other words, a gun.

Whenever my wife leaves the house, I remind her to take her gun.

100% ditto. It's great women take these classes and such. RARELY have I met one who could really do what she thought she could. They take these classes and often have instructors blowing smoke up their butt's. They convince them this works and the women do not put 1/10th of the time into it they need to actually be able to use it. They then end up like this gal did. I am sure she imagined that Asp would drop some guy. When I run into a woman who just refuses to carry or own a gun I suggest other stuff but the gun is the way to go.

100% ditto. It's great women take these classes and such. RARELY have I met one who could really do what she thought she could. They take these classes and often have instructors blowing smoke up their butt's. They convince them this works and the women do not put 1/10th of the time into it they need to actually be able to use it. They then end up like this gal did. I am sure she imagined that Asp would drop some guy. When I run into a woman who just refuses to carry or own a gun I suggest other stuff but the gun is the way to go.
It's not just wimmins, there's tons of "schools" that have believers thinking that if you take their x-brand neckbeard class, you too shall endeavor to persevere!!

It's not just wimmins, there's tons of "schools" that have believers thinking that if you take their x-brand neckbeard class, you too shall endeavor to persevere!!

Oh yeah. We go through that at work. We yearly have to get re certified in how to do takedowns. The classes are great and all but do not work in "real life". I sometimes get the instructors angry when I say this to newbies. They show us all these cute moves. When the SHTF none of it is really done that way. We do what works. Last class it was the take a knife away. She was trying to teach us some strange move. I kept screwing it up because I was reverting to what works for me. After several tries I said "well you see I have the knife now right?" I told her this is great but to teach people this stuff you can't have them for a couple days. They would need to practice it daily for years.

Violence in Seattle.
Wow........who'da thunk it.
Cruise line ships docked in Seattle have been getting so many complaints
from passengers returning from the city that they are considering
removing Seattle from their itinerary.
Too bad we just can't remove Seattle from Washington state.
We could move it down right next to Portland.
Those two cities deserve each other.

Violence in Seattle.
Wow........who'da thunk it.
Cruise line ships docked in Seattle have been getting so many complaints
from passengers returning from the city that they are considering
removing Seattle from their itinerary.
Too bad we just can't remove Seattle from Washington state.
We could move it down right next to Portland.
Those two cities deserve each other.

I grew up in Maple Valley (south of Seattle). In the 70's and early 80's I used to love to go to downtown Seattle and just wander around looking at the cool buildings, do some people watching, take some photos, then amble down to the waterfront to Ivar's and protect my chips from the seagulls. Never had a concern. Never had a problem.

The last time I was in Seattle was in 2000 for a Mariner's game. Parking cost $25 two miles from Safeco Field. No thanks! Around that time, we had a family friend who was leaving the stadium after an M's game who was stabbed through the heart by a sword-wielding psycho. He died right there in the street.

I haven't gone back and don't think I ever will. From what I've heard, I'm not missing much.

I grew up in Maple Valley (south of Seattle). In the 70's and early 80's I used to love to go to downtown Seattle and just wander around looking at the cool buildings, do some people watching, take some photos, then amble down to the waterfront to Ivar's and protect my chips from the seagulls. Never had a concern. Never had a problem.

The last time I was in Seattle was in 2000 for a Mariner's game. Parking cost $25 two miles from Safeco Field. No thanks! Around that time, we had a family friend who was leaving the stadium after an M's game who was stabbed through the heart by a sword-wielding psycho. He died right there in the street.
I haven't gone back and don't think I ever will. From what I've heard, I'm not missing much.

I lived in Seattle from 1967 to 2005. First in the Rainier district, then Kirkland and then Bothell.
In the 70's it was a nice place and after that you could watch it slowly go downhill.
Exactly 10.5 seconds after I retired we moved 100 miles south to farming and ranching country.
Seattle is just another big, noisy, dirty, dangerous, traffic congested and angry city.
Heck, we won't even drive as far north as Tacoma.
That's another stain on society.

Seattle. Portland. San Francisco.

All used to be beautiful. All used to be clean. All used to be safe.

Not so much anymore: Left Coast Lawlessness (City Journal Op Ed via The Woodpile Report)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top