JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you are a member of CityClub or Town Hall, it might be worth attending <broken link removed> :

Tuesday, February 24, 2009
CityClub, The Seattle Channel and Town Hall present:
Seattle Speaks: The City's Gun Ban - Where Do You Stand?

Town Hall (downstairs) • 1119 Eighth Avenue, Seattle

Doors open: 6:00 pm • Audience overview: 6:30 pm – audience must be seated at this time to hear important instructions! • Live program: 7:00 – 8:30 pm

Free to attend for CityClub and Town Hall members, but you must register in advance.

Can't be there in person? Visit www.seattlechannel.org to watch and join in live!

To register: CityClub members call 206.682.7395 - Town Hall members call 206.652.4255

CityClub, The Seattle Channel and Town Hall invite you to join us for a new and exciting joint venture. Come with an open mind and be prepared to be challenged as we walk through the legal, constitutional, personal, local and national aspects of recently proposed gun regulations in Seattle. Broadcast live and online from Town Hall, our audience will hear a variety of opinions, voice their own, and vote along the way as we deliberate the many sides of this complicated issue. Only the first to arrive will get voting devices – so come early to get the best seats!

Following the shooting at the Seattle Center's Folklife Festival in May 2008, Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels proposed banning all firearms from City property, including: parks, community centers, and City Hall. While it's clear Mayor Nickels is committed to instituting a gun ban in Seattle, the constitutionality (both federal and state) of such a proposal is not as clear. Moreover, Washington law has traditionally pre-empted local jurisdictions from enacting gun restrictions measures, though a recent State Supreme Court case raises questions about just how far the state's "pre-emption" law actually reaches. Nickels' ban is due to go into effect later this spring, which gives citizens a chance to continue to comment on the idea before it becomes policy. Some have pushed for the State Legislature, in session until mid-April, to weigh in to clarify the state's pre-emption law, as well as consider whether to deny guns to anyone who has been involuntarily committed to a mental health facility.

How do you feel about this issue? Do you support Nickels' proposed gun ban? Do you think guns cause or prevent violence? If shown enough data on the deterrent effect of individual gun ownership, would you be open to changing your position? Do you feel confident that the screening process for owning a gun and acquiring a concealed weapons permit is strong enough? Do the United States and WA State Constitutions leave any ambiguity on the right to own weapons and for what purpose? Has the rise in youth violence made you rethink this issue? Bring your own questions, an open mind and join us as we tackle the topic of guns in our region.

My guess is that the public hearing didn't go very well for City, so this will be used to generate more "positive" feedback on the proposal. Attend if you can. Actually, CityClub is a pretty good group to join if you're interested in regional governance-type issues.

Nickels' ban is due to go into effect later this spring...

Say WHAT? This has been covered. Our State AG told the mayor he can't do it.

This is making me mad. I need to stop here before I post something that will surely get me banned.

Say WHAT? This has been covered. Our State AG told the mayor he can't do it.

This is making me mad. I need to stop here before I post something that will surely get me banned.

If you recall, this has always been "due to go into effect later in X time period". I think it keeps getting delayed for a few reasons. First, people have been vocally against it (I suspect this event is meant to create some positive press for the notion). Second, delaying may allow them to slip it in under the radar when no one is watching. And third, this places it closer to the election so he can use it as an issue to run on (which, unfortunately, would probably benefit him in Seattle).

It's important to keep the heat on this issue. If you can attend this, do it. I expect it will come down to a court challenge in the end anyway.

One good thing: Chief Kerlikowske is moving on to the Obama Administration to become the new drug czar. With him gone, there's one less gun-control advocate at the City.

But, yes, please don't post something so I have to ban you. I'm new to this stuff - take it easy on me! :s0114:

This reminds me of the sign above the stockade at the Presidio, "Obedience to the law is freedom."

Anyway,
Too bad it's not an open meeting. The responses to the thread about "do you carry with a round in the chamber" have got me thinking that some people who have CPL's don't yet have the training they should have, and that some training and proficiency testing before issue might be a good idea up here in Washington.

Going through the DOJTC course here was a positive experience for me (however disjointed all the agencies are for professional licensing) and just suggesting somebody read a book while they fill out the CPL paperwork doesn't quite compare to a day-long course and live fire qualification for safe handling and accuracy.

So if I were able to attend this meeting those things would be on my mind, of course Mayor Nickels can take a long walk off of Pier 47 with his unconstitutional ban measure.

Last Edited:
The moment it goes into effect, I will be going to a piece of city property with my pistol, and my concealed carry permit in anticipation of being ticketed. When I do I will then be taking the case as far as I have to until its shown to be against the state constitution and struck down. I will be like Rosa Parks, but armed.

The moment it goes into effect, I will be going to a piece of city property with my pistol, and my concealed carry permit in anticipation of being ticketed. When I do I will then be taking the case as far as I have to until its shown to be against the state constitution and struck down. I will be like Rosa Parks, but armed.

Just be aware you could end up like Rodney King...

Hope u have lotsa money. youll need it. Go get 'em.

Hope u have lotsa money. youll need it. Go get 'em.

Do you mean to tell me that by one person standing up for what is right would go it alone? No one here would chip in, instead they would rather impotently pound away about the big bully in seattle picking on their rights, and bemoan the injustice of it all? Or would they roll up their sleeves like men, stand up and do what they could for what is right? I may be a cynic, but even my faith is larger than a mustard seed, and after word got to GOA, JPFO, and the NRA, and every forum and meet up group my wife and I are members of, I doubt I will stand alone.

Do you really think that police do things like that unprovoked? Im talking about a just act of civil disobedience.

You're armed and cops, like most people, prefer to go home in one piece at the end of the day. I doubt it would be as "enthusiastic" as the treatment King got, but there's the possibility of tasting the pavement before it's over with. Just make sure you have your "Save Simon" legal defense donation paypal account set up before you go. :s0155:

JumpWing and Trlsmn, wise advice, the situation will be discussed with a firearms law firm and several law enforcement personnel as to the best approach. All consequences will be weighed, but still a decision will have to be made, and this will have to be challenged.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top