JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I first got my CCW in CA (80's), I had to take a college class and prove my ability on the LE range. They wouldn't let me shoot my gun back then, so I had to shoot with one of their .38 service pistols. Never shot one before the test day. I had to qualify with 43 out of 60 rounds. I qualified with a 60 out of 60. Better than the officer re-qualifying that got 43 out of 60.

You are right, it's more about how you have trained in a stress induced test.

I'm not in a hurry to pull my weapon because I only do that if I'm going all the way. Also, a weapon on my hip is going to draw less attention than a gun in my hand. I don't want to make myself a target.

The reality for me is I am most likely to be drawing my gun to protect us from any number of predators (2&4 legged) on my rural property than in a Starbucks. And the chances of me facing weapons there is more likely as hunting season brings out the criminals.

I am as we speak, (I just got a call) having a sudden problem with a trespasser (non-resident neighbor) that has just cut my locks and install their own locks on my gates, so they can get to their property "easier." I just notified them (again) of the errors of their ways and let them know, if I catch them or if any of my neighbors catch them on my property, (Oregon law requires written permission on your person to be on my property) their personal property will be confiscated, they will have to find their own way home, (2 hours away) and I will gladly return their property when they return with law enforcement.

Rural confrontations are a little different and usually less dangerous. Most likely, no one is going to get physically harmed. The legal costs and possible loss of their confiscated property will be the problem for them. Absolutely nothing I hate more than confronting criminals. That is also why I have an attorney. That is one reason why I live in Rural Oregon.

Consider it from a slightly different point of view.

To answer that question, I was confronted directly with that type of scenario myself during a recent defensive handgun class I took. Without going into specifics about a very realistic scenario they put us through (we're asked not to share those specifics so others can have the chance to experience it in class themselves), I can tell you that day made me seriously rethink getting involved in anything that doesn't directly affect the protection of myself or my family.

The real question is not whether you're a wuss, but whether or not you're willing to put your life on the line for someone you don't know? Remembering that if something happens to you, your family is potentially left without you there to support/care for them. Remembering that getting involved may cost you jail time or at the least expensive lawyers, the potential loss of your job, etc. And your family suffers the whole time. While I agree, having grown up with the belief that you help others, my thinking has been adjusted a bit to focus on my primary responsibility - my family - and that includes making sure I come home each night to care for them. I don't see that as a wuss answer at all, but a responsible answer.

Now, does that mean I would never get involved? I can't say it does. I've stepped in to several fights in my past, and to date, nothing bad came of it for me. My actions, should something like what happened in that restaurant happen to me, will be dictated by the circumstances and my choices at that time, I can simply say that I have yet another level of consideration that I didn't previously include in my planning for such events. And that new information will help to inform any future decisions I make about getting involved.

Some other things to consider - what if you choose to get involved and in the melee, you accidentally shoot an innocent bystander? What if that was a child? Could you live with yourself then? All I'm saying is that there is more to choosing to get involved beyond just whether or not you're a 'man'. There are potential consequences that must be considered in any case like this.

etrain is right on target. The concerns he raises are very real, and the exposure to liability in the event you take action can be life altering, not only for you but also for your family. Especially in cities like Portland or Seattle.

Getting out of the situation is preferred to having to respond with violence. Get my family out. Get others out. If exit is not an option, then lead with lead the way.
This is just after the most recent London attacks. Most people enter a bar or restaurant by the front door. When SHTF how do they try and escape? By the way they came in, right towards the bad guys. Situational awareness about exits, the kitchen or other routes that aren't clogged with sheeple.

This is just after the most recent London attacks. Most people enter a bar or restaurant by the front door. When SHTF how do they try and escape? By the way they came in, right towards the bad guys. Situational awareness about exits, the kitchen or other routes that aren't clogged with sheeple.
That just made me think of the opening scene from Ronin,where Robert Deniro walks up to the bar then goes around back to plant a gun and check the back exit.
Then tells the gal 'I never walk into a place I don't know another way out' or something to that effect.
Guess y'all in the jungle should check all the exits from now on?

When it's just me, I prefer to be near a back door/emergency exit for that very reason. Unfortunately, my mother is a borderline-invalid due to morbid obesity who thinks just waddling to the front door from a handicap parking space is the Bataan Death March, so when I'm stuck with her playing Ball-and-Chain the only way out is *through*. :(

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top