Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Seattle PD may have illegal firearms database

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by thurston24, Nov 16, 2012.

1. thurston24

thurston24 Richland, WA Member

I was spending part of my morning perusing The Truth About Guns and found this article that bothered me a fair amount. The crux of it is that there are unconfirmed reports that state that there are databases linked to our license plates that detail whether or not we have a concealed carry license and lists firearms we own and their serial numbers. This is really disturbing as the laws states that no one is allowed to have a database of the firearms we own or anything and the Seattle PD is probably not the only police organization that has access to it. So the next time you get pulled over, don't be surprised if you get questions about firearms and an officer requesting to search your vehicle.

I actually contacted the Second Amendment Foundation, which is located in Bellevue, WA since someone needs to fight this if it's true. The positive aspect is that the State Constitution has a right to privacy in it that really protective (It actually prevents our trash from being searched when it's on the curb), so I think that the courts should provide a fair amount of help with this.

2. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Well when that guy shot up the coffee shop in Seattle last year,the SPD had a list of the guns he had purchased since the 80s.
    The list was fairly small,like a 1911 that he used that day and 2? other handguns. I believe that the state only would have info on our handguns purchased at FFLs,as we don't fill out a state form for rifles.

3. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

This is one of the reasons that FTF sales are preferred. Less the state/government knows the better we all are.

4. sasquatch

sasquatch Everett, WA Active Member

The Washington State Department of Licensing maintains a database of Washington gun owners. If you have purchased a firearm from an FFL in the state of Washington, that info is on the database. All law enforcement agencies in the state have access to it.

5. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

What does the database cover?
    Is it, "Mr X. bought a gun"
    or is it, "Mr X. bought this gun on this date, and this gun on that date, etc....?"

One is slightly intrusive and not good, the other is BS and someone's head should roll.
    Starting with Obama :thumbup:

6. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

Everyone seems to ignore what FOPA says about databases. I've read that FOPA doesn't specifically prohibit the state from creating a local database, just as long as they don't use ATF data.

The Tiahrt amendment allows access for local law enforcement to the ATF database. WA state government also keeps a local handgun database based on the state form you fill out at the dealers. This is how WA gets around FOPA.

There is a good overview of OR and WA gun databases here - http://eaglefirearms.com/?page_id=58

7. beavertonbuck

beavertonbuck Beaverton Active Member

I'm curious if can you provide a link for that. I thought you guys went thru the FBI for the background checks. If so then how would WA get the information on the gun purchases?

8. sasquatch

sasquatch Everett, WA Active Member

Look at the post just before yours......there's the link you need.

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I quit reading when he said to ask the sheriff

22many and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Benkei

Benkei WA New Member

WA State maintains a handgun registry. Anytime you buy a handgun through an FFL you have to fill out an extra form detailing the handgun info that goes to the state. Cops do have the ability to bring up this data on their computers. The handgun registry is not mandatory, meaning if you buy a handgun secondhand you do not have to send in the handgun paperwork to the state.

11. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

DOL has two "firearms related" data bases that are available to LE (but not the general public)

One is all CPL applications

The second one is all sales through a licensed firearms dealers in WA. It is not a "registration" it is a sales report. It is not supposed to be something that can be accesed by the general public, only LE or by court order.

It is a "sales" report...not anything more. When you sell whatever you purchased from a licensed dealer to someone else privately...the trail ends...unless the original buyer gives LE or Judge the information...I forget works...also many many (if not most) firearms never have gone through an FFL. Inheritance, gift, FTF, came from out of state when someone moved here,,,,obtained prior to GCA1968...all kinds of reasons the gun never passed through a WA licensed dealer.

So, when LE stops you for a traffic violation, he can (and normally will) see that you have a CPL (or not) when that CPL was issued (if you have one), and what (if any and only) pistols you have purchased through an licensed dealer in WA since 1986? (I think that is the correct date)

12. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

Thanks for the clarification. I agree this doesn't fall under Tihart, but it's still more than a little creepy. I'd be REALLY interested in knowing if this database had helped (IN ITSELF) to solve any crimes. My thought would be probably not. I mean seriously, how many crimes are committed with legally obtained guns from a FFL where there wasn't already clear evidence of the doer?

13. thurston24

thurston24 Richland, WA Member

A few people have mentioned FOPA and I have been looking for the full text because I would like to read the legislation to form my own opinion. I haven't been able to find it. Does anyone have link where I can read the full text?

14. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

Um, Google is your friend?

Try this link for generalities, the actual PL is listed fro your perusal..

Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

15. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

To the OP, I can tell you that in WA State they do know if you have a CPL when they run your name/license.

How do I know this? I sometimes listen to the free app "5-0" on my iPhone. This app acts like a radio scanner for several police and fire agencies. On more than one occasion I have heard them run a person's name and birthdate, and the response will come back that they have a CPL.

Now, I don't know if they have a linked database or if their "search" feature simultaneously runs the name and birthdate against a separate CPL database.

Peter