Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Seattle mayor moving forward with gun ban

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by targettarget, Mar 25, 2009.

1. targettarget

targettarget Calgary - Alberta Member

http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=288
    NICKELS’ PROPOSED GUN BAN WILL BE CHALLENGED, SAF, CCRKBA PROMISE
    For Immediate Release: 3/24/2009

BELLEVUE, WA – Once again when faced with a controversy, Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels is reviving his plan to ban legally-carried firearms from city property, and the Second Amendment Foundation today promises once again to immediately take him to court.

“This time around,” said SAF founder Alan Gottlieb, “Mayor Nickels needs to raise this issue to distract public attention from the political smell arising from the snow plowing investigation. We remind the mayor that his office has been warned by Attorney General Rob McKenna that neither he, nor the city, has the authority to enact such a ban under state preemption.

“Mayor Nickels thinks he can enact this ban merely by executive order,” Gottlieb observed. “He’s not even thinking of putting this before the city council as a proposed ordinance, because he knows it would never pass. Greg Nickels is the mayor of Seattle, not the emperor of a city-state.”

Nickels’ plan was revealed by the Seattle Weekly Tuesday morning. A spokesman for the mayor’s office told the newspaper that the ban “is expected to begin sometime in May.” Gottlieb said SAF expects to be joined in a legal action by other gun rights organizations.

“Mayor Nickels evidently believes he is above the law, and that ‘if the mayor does it, it is not illegal’,” said Joe Waldron, legislative director for the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. “You might as well call him ‘President Nixon’.”

“At the public hearing on this issue in December,” Gottlieb recalled, “people were literally lining up to be involved in a lawsuit. Nickels and his staff are trying to portray the opposition as coming from outside the city, but that argument is specious at best. Whether people just visit the city frequently, work in Seattle or live there, they have every right to expect Seattle to comply with state statute.

“If the mayor thinks this will divert attention away from the snow plowing controversy,” Gottlieb said, “he’s mistaken. This ploy won’t cure that headache. It will only give him another.”

2. BlvdKing

BlvdKing Almost Boring Member

sounds like another "elected" official has lost their mind

3. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

It's a win-win for him: either he ultimately prevails in court and gets his ban, or he fails and "at least he fought the good fight" in the eyes of those who typically vote for him. Plus, he'll use the loss to "prove" to Olympia that a legislative solution is needed (or, that's how he'll spin it down there).

I could also see a strategy where they use this as a tool to trespass (remove) people w/ guns from parks/city property, but never actually file any charges. If charges get dropped, do pro-2a advocates have a case to chase through the legal system? I don't know - not a lawyer.

I could also see this never getting used at all, but simply put out there for show or maybe used at some future date when people aren't paying attention.

I spoke w/ Joe Waldron about this at the WAC show last weekend. They're plan is apparently to take this up in Federal Court. Not sure if I agree with that since I think they have a stronger case in State Court, but I imagine they're trying to build Federal case law for other purposes.

Anyway, we'll see.

4. Sun195

From the Seattle Weekly:

5. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

The state constitution is pretty clear. I think he'll have better luck finding Police Chief Kerlikowske's lost gun.

Sadly, the above is not a metaphor.

6. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

You know, the City of Miami have such a reputation for doing things THEIR way it is often referred to as "the Republic of Miami". Seattle is so "other", even when compared to the radical Pacific Northwest, perhaps it should be a candidate for its own moniker. Something like "The United Emirates of Seattle", perhaps even "the Kingdom of Nickels"

7. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

WOW.. whats up with these guys.. Seattle's mayor isnt thinking correctly and Portlands like teen aged boys.. Is it me or are they all a little loony?

8. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

Have there been any "peaceful demonstrations" involving open carry over Czar Nickels' attack on our Constitutional Rights? When Nickels' last disrespected us with this attack, I wrote the Governor asking that she have him arrested.

Since the 1940s the moniker Soviet Seattle has been pretty popular..

9. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find supporting documentation on my Soviet Seattle comment and came up with this...

10. Sun195

Folks - there's no need to call the Mayor names. There's enough to be said about this policy direction without resorting to that.

11. RainbowBob

RainbowBob North Seattle Member

I sent Seattle's Mayor Nickels a letter explaning why his idea to ban guns from city property was a bad one.

This is the Mayor's reply:

This is my reply:

12. BrianL

BrianL Hermiston Active Member

Well written! I can't wait to read what the Mayor has to say to your response.

13. RainbowBob

I never received a response from the mayor to my response. And I'm not suspending my respiratory functions while waiting for one. He (they) gave their prepared stock answer. They are apparently unable to think beyond that.

14. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

So he bans weapons in the city.

So what?

Not a lawyer, but I would imagine you can appeal, to the state, and charges will be dropped. Then counter-sue for false arrest, etc etc.

No?

Obviously looking past the inconvenience of being arrested and held, for any length of time, before that happened.

15. Sun195

From today's Seattle-PI article:

16. RainbowBob

Well...it's hard to argue with that...as long as it doesn't involve restricting the self-defense rights of those who are legally armed.

17. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

Strangely enough, protecting our children from "gun violence" is in no way connected to the disarming or further thwarting of the law-abiding.

18. Kennedy

Kennedy Beaverton Member

I must agree, that email was perfectly written, but it seems that the obvious facts elude him.

19. Sun195

He's shifting rhetoric on this issue. Another example is the Chamber's trip to Montreal. These trips usually focus on a number of topics in the host city and the original trip description included this topic:

Latest trip description changed to this:

The question is whether he's changing the subject to throw-off gun rights advocates or to lower expectations for gun control advocates given the difficulties he'll face in enacting a gun ban on City property. We'll see.

20. AR15L

AR15L Auburn, WA Member

Really? Then why has the State Supreme Court told Major Five Pennies that what he is doing is illegal?

Again, really? Tell me how disarming a legal citizen makes parks safer for all residents and visitors? I can not carry my legal firearm that I have a state authorized CPL with me onto a Seattle owned park whereas criminals, that don't obey laws, are able roam at will.

Last... stay tuned for the lawsuits the minute he signs the papers.
    Let's see, the city has to defend themselves in court with taxpayers money trying to do something that is illegal to start with. Yup, makes sense to me. :nuts: