Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Seattle Mayor moves forward on gun ban plan

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Joe Link, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Original story here -> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/386966_guns08.html

2. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

And unfortunately in this state (like any other so-called "blue" state) the big liberal cities seem to set policy for the whole state. Hopefully the attorney general will be able to put an end to Nickels plan.

But this state (mostly big liberal cities) just re-elected a bunch of libs to state government so color me skeptical. :paranoid:

3. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

This crap is beginning to border on criminal. Nickels, you #%@*$ douche, these power limitations and safeguards are meant to protect the people from politicians EXACTLY LIKE YOU.

4. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

He thinks that because he's a liberal Seattle demoncrat why wouldn't everyone think his intentions were above reproach. I mean after all, it's for the children you know. :angry:

5. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

What's the matter with you all? Are you against "common-sense"?

I absolutely hate that phrase. It's just cheap rhetoric to suggest that those who disagree with your position lack common-sense.

These proposals aren't common-sense. Common-sense dictates that you don't propose laws & rules that you know violate the constitution. The AG has already issued an opinion on this matter and they should leave it at that.

The only comfort I can find in all of this is that the City has a lousy record in court cases, so maybe they'll lose big-time on this one too.

6. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

This is how liberal mongoloids like the mayor and his ilk define "common sense"...

Common sense: Disarm the law-abiding
    Common sense: Improve working conditions for criminals
    Common sense: Remove the equality of firearms so that, once again, the stronger or more numerous have the advantage
    Common sense: Increase the danger to many to decrease the *perceived* danger to a few
    Common sense: Restructure the very nature of man through legislation
    Common sense: Utopia is achievable by force

7. Buddhalux

Buddhalux Hillsboro, Oregon Active Member

Well to me, common sense is to remove all illegal weapons from the community especially focusing on convicts and criminals. That doesn't mean impede on legally obtained legal weapons from law abiding citizens.

8. caliber bob

caliber bob Yamhill County, OR. Member

That sucks. To me, and this is just my opinion, some of these people who try to create these laws and then enforce them are just ignorant. They really don't know what they are getting into, or what they are starting.:huh:

9. s_ribs

s_ribs Tigard, OR Member

I had to stop reading once I saw the "common-sense gun laws" comment once again.

What "common" sense would this be???

10. SimonJester308

SimonJester308 kitsap county Member

Well explain how to do this without limiting the rights of "legal" gunowners? If it truly is common sense then the explanation you provide, if you can, will be self evident. But I'll go ahead and toss my nickel into the hat here and say there is no way. The framers of the Constitution knew that, so they wrote it SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. Simple, and self evident. The only way to do it without infringing on the rights of everyone, is to allow everyone access to Arms. They were smarter than we are now, and we've been screwing it up ever since. The day we start to be more JPFO/GOA and less NRA the better.

11. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that we allow felons to possess firearms? If your argument is that you can't prohibit these folks from owning guns w/o infringing on the rights of the broader public, then I might point out that many (most?) are under supervision upon their release from prison and this creates an opportunity to verify whether they own guns w/o infringing on the rights of others to do so. Certainly, this verification becomes more difficult once they leave supervision, but depending on their future interactions with law enforcement, this can continue to be verified on occasion.

12. s_ribs

s_ribs Tigard, OR Member

He isn't. ;)

13. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

have you considered a recall petition don't mention firearms make it for failure to uphold oath of office

14. emanon

emanon SE Portland, Oregon Member

I for one want to see felons and others currently permanently prohibited from legally owning firearms have a practical way to regain that option.

15. SimonJester308

The law already allows felons to possess firearms, so why would I need to suggest it? If you had any idea of what you were getting excited about, you would already know about firearms rights restoration.

There are two groups of the population that can prove that there is absolutely no way to keep firearms out of the hands of people that aren't suppose to have them. Law Enforcement, and Felons. So I don't have to argue anything, that truth is self evident.

I would also suggest you learn a thing our two about our criminal justice system before you speculate as to how life on probation/parole really is, as being one who has taken that walk, I can assure you that the only "rules" that are adhered to are directly proportional to the convict's sense of morality.

My sense of morality is that God himself breathed the words of The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution, and that wiser men than what we have amongst us today made sure to write it down so we could read it for ourselves. So I ask what part of SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED don't you understand?

16. SimonJester308

I am.

17. SimonJester308

There is. http://www.washrecord.com/

State and Federal laws have provisions to reinstate firearms rights.

Been there, done that. Takes some time, but well worth the opportunity for reintegrating with society. Waiting on my concealed carry permit.