JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Rantz: Seattle mayor's gun violence plan lacks actual plan

The article:

upload_2018-3-22_10-14-50.png

Can someone remind Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan that a plan to tackle gun violence should include actual plans? She seems to have forgotten any specific details on going after the actual gun violence we're experiencing in the area. Indeed, it's like she's addressing problems from another city.

"We don't have to wait for Washington D.C. We don't have to wait for our state capitals. We can act and we should act," Durkan told KIRO 7.

Her plan? A link to a website explaining Extreme Risk Protection Orders and legislation requiring the safe storage of firearms.

The first idea isn't her own, so we're not going to give Durkan or the Seattle City Council props for posting a link on a website no one will be able to find anyway. Glad to know she's doing the hard work of posting links to a city website with details available at other government websites.

Safe storage of guns? That doesn't actually lead to demonstrably less gun violence because the way it'll likely be implemented would add punishment to a crime that already took place by the time you find out the gun wasn't properly stored. I assume Durkan isn't sending the police around to check if your guns are stored properly and the type of people who are irresponsible with guns are the ones who won't be listening to a gun storage requirement.

KIRO 7 reports that "funds from the gun and ammunition tax in 2018 will be used to fund gun violence research at Harborview Medical Center." That was part of the gun tax when that legislation was passed. Durkan had no role in this. And I wouldn't be bragging if I were her. We already know the causes of gun violence. We're just wasting taxpayer money for more studies that will be used to demonize legal gun owners and erode our Second Amendment rights.

What's the cause of Seattle's current gun violence? Bad guys using guns, many of which are stolen, much of which is gang related. We've had a string of armed thieves breaking into homes. If Durkan actually spoke to cops, maybe she'd realize going after law-abiding gun owners won't make much of a dent in the gun violence we're experiencing. Is this Durkan being tough on crime? Nope. She's busy sending them to college for free.

Where's the plan to actually address the gun violence we're experiencing here in Seattle? We're still waiting for those details, Mayor Durkan. Perhaps you can lead the City on this?

Safe storage of guns? That doesn't actually lead to demonstrably less gun violence because the way it'll likely be implemented would add punishment to a crime that already took place by the time you find out the gun wasn't properly stored. I assume Durkan isn't sending the police around to check if your guns are stored properly and the type of people who are irresponsible with guns are the ones who won't be listening to a gun storage requirement.

I really like this point. It's a waste of everybodies time, and will help nothing...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top