Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Seattle Gun Store Pulling up Stakes

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by fredball, Jan 8, 2016.

1. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Seattle Gun Store Pulling up Stakes in Protest of New Gun, Ammo Tax

precise-shooter.jpg
    This Seattle gun store won’t sell you guns or ammo, at least for the next couple of months. (Photo: Precise Shooter/Facebook)

In protest of a recent gun control law passed in Seattle, Wash. a local gun shop has halted the sale of guns and ammunition. Their next step will be to pack up and leave.

Sergey Solyanik, the owner of Precise Shooter, warned the city that he would move his shop out of town if the law went into effect and is now making good on his promise. He plans to move his shop just outside of Seattle to Lynnwood, part of the greater metropolitan area, just out of reach of the new tax law. The new location is expected to open in mid-February.

Seattle’s gun tax law raises the price of all firearms by $25 and the cost of ammunition by 2 to 5 cents per round. Solyanik argued against the proposal, saying that the tax was too high and would impair his ability to compete.

“It would make us unprofitable,” said Solyanik to the Seattle Times. “I calculated it by retroactively applying the tax to our existing sales—I’m a software developer, so I can do that—and we would be operating at a loss for the entire store.”

The tax was proposed last summer by Seattle City Council president Tim Burgess and signed into law in August of 2015. The law went into effect on Jan. 1. Revenue from the new tax is to be used to pay for research on ways to prevent gun violence.

“People who shoot up people in the streets—they don’t come here to get guns. They get them on the streets,” Solyanik said. “It’s just collective punishment for all of us.”

“We are all disappointed,” said Solyanik. “We feel that, basically, a crockpot politician was trying to buttress his ‘progressive’ credentials and we got run over.” By halting sales, Solyanik is denying the city any revenue from the gun tax from his shop, as well as sales taxes after he leaves.

“Burgess doesn’t expect any money from this. In fact, there will be a net loss for this city. This location brings in roughly $50,000 in sales tax revenue, so that is all going to be gone next year.”

Seattle estimates that the tax will raise up to $500,000 annually.

Although the city council passed the law unanimously, it’s already being challenged jointly by the National Rifle Association, the National Shooting Sports Foundation, and the Second Amendment Foundation.

“Once again, anti-gun activists in Seattle have chosen to violate the Washington State Constitution and trample upon the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens,” said Chris Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “They tried to enact similar regulations back in 2009 and lost. It’s a shame to see such a waste of public resources on issues the courts have already ruled to be a clear violation of state law.”

“We’ve been down this path before with Seattle when we sued them and won, knocking out their attempt to ban guns in city park facilities,” said the SAF’s Alan Gottlieb. “They city does not seem to understand that no matter how they wrap this package, it’s still a gun control law and it violates Washington’s long-standing preemption statute.”

The Washington state constitution explicitly forbids municipalities from passing any gun regulations that are stricter than state law without authorization from the state legislature.

precise-shooter.jpg

2. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good for them. Though I hate that they will take a loss in relocating the business, anything that denies Seattle ANY revenue from gun and ammo sales is a great move. If I lived closer, I'd happily give them business after they move to help with the costs they will incur.

Sgt Nambu, Caveman Jim and RLS like this.
  3. Slobray

Slobray Yelm, WA Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about this: I like that they are taking revenue away from Seattle, but I hate that they have to pay moving costs and that they are doing exactly what the city coucil wants.

I honestly believe that this is the intent that the city council had in mind when they first proposed this tax. They want all guns and ammo dealers out of Seattle. First, they will extort as much as possible in the form of a jizya, then they will keep raising the % rate until every store that sells guns and/or ammo either A) quits selling those evil and scary items, B) goes out of business or C) moves out of the area.

Ray

Onramp, 3MTA3 and Caveman Jim like this.
  4. RLS

RLS milwaukie Active Member

This is nice to see.the move will cost him a lot of money up front, But if he has had good business practices his customers will follow him and he is also going to get a ton of new customers that refuse to pay a penalty on purchases of guns and ammo to the city of Seattle.

Onramp and GunnyG like this.
  5. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

In reality, the ONLY thing they will succeed in doing is reducing the number of gun/ammo stores inside the city limits. They will not reduce the number of guns, nor the amount of ammo, and they will fail in their bid to collect those taxes. I would love to see a map, down the road, of gun stores surrounding the entire city, all of them just outside the border, and all Seattle gun owners buying from them - effectively extending the middle finger to the Seattle city council. It's just a shame that the businesses have to be targeted like this and the residents of Seattle have to be forced to go outside the city limits to avoid this petty, ineffective and completely foolish tax.

Onramp and Slobray like this.
  6. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

On my 1 hour commute home from work in the evenings. I like to listen to talk radio. There is a guy on KIRO radio named Jason Rantz. He does not claim to be a liberal and he does not claim to be a conservative. The thing I like about him, is he brings up things from both sides of the story that make you really think about the subject. This is a cut from a show about the Seattle gun tax thing. He brings up some things that will make you stop and think how stupid this tax thing is. I am sorry for the first 2 minutes with radio stuff, but at the 2 minute mark, it gets interesting.

http://kiroradio.com/listen/9996815/

Doc In UPlace likes this.
  7. Slobray

I believe that they don't really care if they lose money, they will just raise other taxes to offset the loss. I think that they're blinded by their gun free utopia goal that they can't see the forest for the trees.

I think if this tax does stand, the Seattle will be similar to the dry counties in the Bible Belt, that there will be a gun store on every street just across the city line.

Ray

etrain16 likes this.
  8. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

GET REAL . . . The tax is NOT about income . . . It's about the 2nd amendment.
    It's almost as though every elected democrat has been inoculated with some sort of anti-2nd amendment serum!?!?!?!?

Sheldon

Capn Jack and Slobray like this.
  9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

That sucks for the owner who just bought that store not more than a year ago.
    He's over on WAguns
    All the best to him in his move

10. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Good, now those 1000's of poor Syrian refugees can feel safe as they rape the local Progressives near University Place

11. 223to45

223to45 Whatcom Active Member

i was thinking once he got resettled , driving all the way down just to buy something in support of him.:D

12. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

I agree 100% with this analysis, politicians are basically lawyers that can manipulate words into a double edged sword.
    I don't trust then as far as I can throw one!!!

Slobray likes this.
  13. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I'm sure a highly taxed dope shop will take its place.
    yay for the retards

14. Slobray

I really, I mean REALLY would like to see just how far I could throw them (politicians).

Ray

Caveman Jim likes this.
  15. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

It's too bad one of the Elite on the Seattle City Council is not a victim of violent Crime in the City or one of their loved ones ,Because this would change their mind about stupid laws like this .

16. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Up there in the land of $15/hr minimum wage and $8 coffees, it's no wonder they come out of the womb with a bloody tip-jar already in hand. feh

Dreams of Steel likes this.
  17. freestoneangler

freestoneangler wa Well-Known Member

That's what I would do if I were them. Their customers will likely follow and they'll pick up new ones in the new location outside The Land of Oz.

Then, that Seattle store can get back-filled with a more meaningful and society improving commodity... a pot shop... staffed by half stoned, skin art, walking tackle boxes, making $15/hour :rolleyes:.

Sgt Nambu and nammac like this.
  18. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

Why it s a good move, its 100% what they want. San Fransisco in the 1970's had 100's of gun shops and even indoor ranges. Now they have none as of last year the last one close regulated and taxed out of business. Sadly just because he closed does not mean liberal town USA will go buy guns elsewhere most just wont. I have friends up there that are hardcore gun owners and they tell me horror stories of living in Seattle the person on person crime is sky rocketing and the cities response is to help disarm the citizens o_O:mad:o_O. As freestoneangler said I am sure the hardcores like all of us will go outsides but the new owner and borderline newbies probably will think they moved cause guns are bad.:confused:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    nammac, 3MTA3 and Slobray like this.
  19. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

I am anxiously waiting for Mt Rainier to blow up . . . . PLEASE!!!!!

Sheldon

whiskeybill and DuneHopper like this.
  20. Slobray

Hold on a second, it's not close enough to Seattle to do any good, though it might do some good in Olympia and Tacoma. Before it happens, I and probably quite a few of us gun owners need to sell our houses to some proggies and move out of the way. I don't want us to end up like Harry Truman.

Ray

Diamondback likes this.