JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am having a issue in my Hornady seater/crimper die I think! Can someone tell me what is happening? If you look in the picture the bullet on top has a crimped ring about a 1/3 of the way from nose and you can see it's not seated all the way unlike the lower bullet. one came out right after the other so I have inconsistency by about .040 of a inch. could it be in consistent case flare?
I'm using a Hornady LnL with bullet feeder
Thanks Stacy
photo.jpg

photo.jpg

Seems like you need a seater stem more suitable to those hollow points. It looks like you have a round-nose seater profile and it's goobering up the HP's.
Get another one and if necessary you can customize an existing seater with epoxy.

What's the issue? Looks to be seated too far, way too much crimp from what I can tell from the hazy pic. Is the upper one ruined from the die, are you belling the mouth enough before seating?

well the one on top is seated to about 1.26 which is sajusted c.o.l in my hornady book and the lower is 1.22 and they flexa wait in between that I seated deeper because I am having a feed issue so I was experimenting.

What they said....

Lemme guess, Rainier Ballistics plated HPs? I had the same thing, not quite as severe, happening with Rainier .45 ACP HPs. I determined my crimp was a little too much, and the round nose seater stem in and RCBS set would crush the end of the, softer, plated bullet. I believe if you send a bullet into the die manufacturer they will custom make you a seating stem.

Mike

Whenever I have a "feed issue" I make sure that the round is powerful enough to function the pistol.. ie at least achieve 100% slide lockback. Then, I look and make sure that there's no remaining flare on the case.. any amount of remaining bell is not good and could easily hang up.

Certiandeaf- I'm using plenty of powder 9.5 gr silhouette and that is also way I was taper crimping as much as I am. I was watching the feed and it looked like the bullet tip was catching a tad that's was I was experimenting with seating depth.

Mikej- acualley they are 200 gr. Nosler sporting handgun bullets

I hear you. I generally like my rounds to be as long as possible.. as long as they'll fit into the magazine, pass the "plunk" test and reliably feed/work.. and have enough bullet in the case to provide plenty of grip and physical strength of the cartridge proper.
Anyway, good luck.

Too much crimp. The case mouth is crimping before the bullet is seated completely... the inconsistency is due to differences in case length...

Back off the crimp or better yet crimp in a separate station

Certiandeaf- I'm using plenty of powder 9.5 gr silhouette and that is also way I was taper crimping as much as I am. I was watching the feed and it looked like the bullet tip was catching a tad that's was I was experimenting with seating depth.

Mikej- acualley they are 200 gr. Nosler sporting handgun bullets

If those are full metal jackets and you're getting that much distortion? I'd think you'd be feeling it in the seating process? I'm a "Single Stage" guy so....

Too much crimp. The case mouth is crimping before the bullet is seated completely... the inconsistency is due to differences in case length...

Back off the crimp or better yet crimp in a separate station

^^ Yep.^^

I've also noticed different head stamp brass has different consistencies, causing a slight difference in the seating process/feeling.

Try a separate Lee crimp die. Its a little tricky seating and crimping in the same station. Also, as others have mentioned, the seater stem may not be correct for the bullet you are loading. Good luck.

Did this issue get resolved? Looking at your finished cartridge again, almost looks like you've got a "Roll Crimp" on it? Is your die for BOTH .40 and 10mm?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top