Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Seasonal campers, what time of the year do you start camping in the PNW?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joe Link, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've never really camped anytime other than summer, but I'd like to start. Considering my limited time I'd like to get some enjoyment out of it, rather than just wet, miserable survival like some trips I see people take.

I have a FZJ80 Land Cruiser with a sleep platform in the back. It does get cold at times with the large interior, but it's always dry, up off the ground, and more secure than a tent.

Where are your favorite spots within a couple hours of Portland? Any other tips, tricks, advice, etc. would be appreciated.

2. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

As long as it's not bitterly cold we will 'do' a few winter trips close to home IE. East out on the desert. The last couple of years a few of us have started a New Years Eve camping trip just East of Bend and we will set up generators with lights on targets and shoot until midnight then hail the new year with shots of Pendelton. It's no doubt easier to 'winter' camp over here than on your side due to precip. Being covered, dry and relatively warm are the big three.

3. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

I agree with RVTECH that you are probably better off on the colder drier side. Anything within a couple of hours of PDX is going to be wet and windy and may not be worth the effort, though in my younger days I'd tent camp or even backpack in the stuff including snow.

There is a lot of open camping in the Ochoco Forrest not far out of Prineville. If that's in your range, about 4 - 5 hours, and you are interested I can PM you a few locations.

BVB and (deleted member) like this.
  4. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

I have elk hunted and family of four camping out of my Landcruiser when I had them (Five FJ-60's). I put small CATALYTIC propane heater on passenger floorboard for comfort heating in the colder weather.

5. Dallas Ken

Dallas Ken Dallas Or. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Got to get on the east side of the mountain this time of the year. Lot's of places around Madras and towards Prineville. Haystack Reservoir south of Madras is a good place and you can drive out to the east a couple of miles onto BLM land and do some plinking. East of Bend is also a place to get out of the rain (usually). May have to increase your drive time a bit though.

6. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

I prefere our tent trailer with a front deck we can carry our Polaris Sportsmans on. Don't have to walk to the bathroom.

7. dolooper

dolooper Coast Range, or thereabouts Well-Known Member

Easier, if colder, on the other side. I'd rather cold and dry than any form of wet, I think.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  8. 1990Turbo

1990Turbo St.Helens Active Member

Bought this in January and went camping twice. This is our first trailer Ive done my share of tent camping now its time to be be dry and warm.
    trailer2_zpsacd7ab91.jpg

9. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

we try to take the grand kids camping/riding on spring break. the weather can be pretty unpredictable.

resized spring break 002.jpg

resized spring break 001.jpg

resized spring break 031.jpg

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  10. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

When we go "camping" it's in a 41' motorhome towing a Honda Odyssey. We like Silver Cove RV Resort on the way to Mt St Helens.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    Defender of Freedom Award
    NRA Recruiter
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  11. EUGENE the REALTOR

EUGENE the REALTOR Portland Metro Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I'm glad I saw at least one tent in this thread. :laugh:

dolooper and (deleted member) like this.
  12. 1990Turbo

1990Turbo St.Helens Active Member

Well my trailer is part tent does that count?

13. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

Do you like to fish? Like to hike? Hunt? Bring motorcycles? Boat? What is it exactly you like to do when you go camping?? Sit by a fire and drink until you tip over?? haha!

I like doing all these things but don't always do all of them each time I go as some places I go are better suited for different activities. Knowing what you want to do will let me give you a better recommendation on where to go.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  14. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Lakes Billy Chinook and Prineville.
    A week before 4 July to get a campsite for about six families, weather would be cold, rain, snow.
    Almost to the day, the clouds would part and the temperature would rise to the 80s.

Deschutes River @ Warm Springs
    Labor day, cold rain in Portland, Snow flurries at Govt Camp
    Wives declined to go in such incliment conditions.
    Wally and I came home sunburned, with trout and grins.
    Wives not amused.

15. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

Heading for Gold Beach for spring break, maybe I can catch a fish. Surf Pearch should be running good.

16. dolooper

dolooper Coast Range, or thereabouts Well-Known Member

Couple things to add.

If you're with the family, it's about fun. Don't be afraid to bug out if they're not comfortable. You don't want them to remember that time they stayed out in the winter or early spring unnecessarily when it comes to convincing them to go camping in the summer.

If you're not into the regular campground scene, we really enjoy exploring National Forest logging/BLM back roads. You can find some good spots and a lot of mediocre spots. We've been down many, many logging roads in our old Hyundai Accent that many a Subaru and even some Jeeps would have thought twice about. Heh, I didn't think I missed that old POS until just now. Gifford Pinchot is a good place that's pretty close and has a good supply of logging roads and isn't as popular as Hood.

Dress warm.

Seems like it goes without saying, but don't forget a jack and check your spare tire. Lot easier to check beforehand than it is to hump out 10 miles for help. So, apparently, it doesn't go without saying.

Dress warm.

If you have kids and they say they have packed the appropriate attire to keep warm, do not believe a word they say unless they are old enough to pay rent. If they're old enough to pay rent, take an extra hat and gloves anyway.

Dress warm.

Your dog is not only man's best friend, it is the functional equivalent of 4 hot rocks in a bed warmer. If you have a family, prepare yourself now for arguments about whose sleeping bag the dog goes into.

Keep the dog warm.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  17. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

We usually don't quit, but this year my wifes been in the hospital and really too sick to go. Last time out we ended up leaving the motorhome and driving her back to Vancouver to the ER.
    And she hasn't really felt like going out again till this weekend but a friend died and his service is this weekend.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    "Defender of Freedom" award
    NRA Recruiter
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  18. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

Last week...Silver Falls SP....25F when I woke up....Park was empty..

**was a fixer upper project...
    20140225_162252_zpsxllbkhbt.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014