JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My deer season was over by 8:30 opening day...

DEERclosesm.jpg

Unfortunately I had to quarter him to get him out of here by 5:00 pm...

WapinitaCanyon-edgesouth2.jpg

Field dressed this guy went 200#. He was in very good condition with lots of fat under the skin. This is the best deer meat I've ever eaten, even though it was not very well taken care of for a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
yup.. i sorta hate you too. i probably wouldn't have taken it, though... i love hunting too much to take one on the morning of the first day.

he is a nice one, though... i suppose it'd be hard to pass that up.

He wasn't the best one I saw. The day before, when I was scouting, I kicked up two mule deer bucks along the canyon rim. One of them was a forked horn that was as big as the one I got. The other was a 3 point that was somewhat bigger than the one I took. So there are at least two more good bucks in that area.

My first shot on this one was a head shot with my Howa 1500, .30-06, 180 gr Corelokt at about 75 yards. All I could see was his head and the wind favored him, so I couldn't wait for a better shot. The first shot hit just below the eye and severed the lower jaw and tongue. He made two jumps down into the canyon and fell in a pile. As he was getting up again I hit him behind the shoulder and he rolled/slid on down into the canyon a ways further. I climbed down to him with just my knife and pistol. Imagine trying to field dress a deer weighing more than you do on a 45 degree, loose shale slope, then quarter it and pack it out of there. Fun!

yup.. i sorta hate you too. i probably wouldn't have taken it, though... i love hunting too much to take one on the morning of the first day.

he is a nice one, though... i suppose it'd be hard to pass that up.

Not really the end of my hunting season. I'll still hunt that area for coyotes. I usually see more coyotes than deer when I'm hunting there. I like calling coyotes.

What kind of trading?

trading of coyote pelts- fur trading

i've actually been looking for current market info, but havent yet found much. 5 years ago prices were pretty dismal- you'd need to trap and hunt full time, and tan, to make a meager earning. but things can change..

i probably wouldn't have taken it, though... i love hunting too much to take one on the morning of the first day.
I too appreciate the the love of hunting but I have passed up opening morning shots only to have an empty meat pole by the end of the season. I still believe in the 'Bird in hand' theory. Good lookin' muley Zig and that skyline looks real familiar - wouldn't be near Gray Butte north of Redmond would it?

I too appreciate the the love of hunting but I have passed up opening morning shots only to have an empty meat pole by the end of the season. I still believe in the 'Bird in hand' theory. Good lookin' muley Zig and that skyline looks real familiar - wouldn't be near Gray Butte north of Redmond would it?

Wapinita Canyon, Juniper Flat outside of Maupin. Relatives own several ranches in that area.

trading of coyote pelts- fur trading

i've actually been looking for current market info, but havent yet found much. 5 years ago prices were pretty dismal- you'd need to trap and hunt full time, and tan, to make a meager earning. but things can change..

I'm afraid I got spoiled in the days of $25 coons and $50 coyotes and foxes. I can't see the point when 3 or 4 hours of labor returns $20 if you're lucky. I'll sell a fresh coyote hide if somebody wants it, but I'm not skinning, fleshing, stretching, curing, etc. for $2 an hour.:(

Not really the end of my hunting season. I'll still hunt that area for coyotes. I usually see more coyotes than deer when I'm hunting there. I like calling coyotes.
I hope you have your cougar tag. They have been known to come to calls, and the closer we come to reigning in their numbers, the closer we get to more successes like the one in your picture!

I hope you have your cougar tag. They have been known to come to calls, and the closer we come to reigning in their numbers, the closer we get to more successes like the one in your picture!

I get a sports pack every year. I would not go hunting in that area without cougar tag and I don't go anywhere over there unarmed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top