JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Reactions
Hello guys.
I have been having a recurring problem effectively searching topics for information. I've tried the search box, clicked titles only, used the drop down, all to no avail.
Sorry if this seems elementary to some, but could someone give me a quick tutorial?
My specific query is : "Pistol caliber carbines at Johnson creek range".
If this in fact has not been discussed, I would be surprised. However I have tried other queries and had no results as well.
Thanks in advance for the support!

To the OP's original question; the search engine here sucks. It is my only complaint with NWFA. I've discussed it with @JoeLink a couple of times and he is understanding, but hasn't found whatever computer magic it takes to fix it.

Upvote 0
To the OP's original question; the search engine here sucks. It is my only complaint with NWFA. I've discussed it with @JoeLink a couple of times and he is understanding, but hasn't found whatever computer magic it takes to fix it.

Agreed. But in this case his question is very specific.

Upvote 0
Yup. 9mm and .45ACP is ok, but no .22 WMR. :rolleyes: No magnums allowed!

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 8.42.20 PM.png

:cool:

Last Edited:
Upvote 0

Thank you for the insight on the search engine question. That's what I'm really trying to do, is use the search engine more effectivly.
So what if any advice would you give on search queries? I seem to run into the issue often, and it (IMO) seems to make this vast database of knowledge and discussion less accessible.
And thanks to everyone else who answered my example query! I knew the rules at JCGC, but it has been a while and I was hoping that they had changed. A 9mm 8.5" barreled MPX is not beating some of the more popular pistol cartridges to the line, so I had hope that reason would prevail. Not my range though, so not my rules :)
Thanks again for everybody's input.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the insight on the search engine question. That's what I'm really trying to do, is use the search engine more effectivly.
So what if any advice would you give on search queries? I seem to run into the issue often, and it (IMO) seems to make this vast database of knowledge and discussion less accessible.

As others have mentioned, the search here isn't very good. Part of it is the way it's setup to string words together, and part of it is that often times members don't use descriptive titles for threads (the engine weighs titles heavier than thread content). A new and better system is on the horizon which should improve the first issue. Improving the second issue is a matter of us staying on members to use descriptive titles :)

Upvote 0
As others have mentioned, the search here isn't very good. Part of it is the way it's setup to string words together, and part of it is that often times members don't use descriptive titles for threads (the engine weighs titles heavier than thread content). A new and better system is on the horizon which should improve the first issue. Improving the second issue is a matter of us staying on members to use descriptive titles :)

See guys its all your fault! Make better titles!! :D

Upvote 0
part of it is that often times members don't use descriptive titles for threads

Just curious, how do "keywords" fit into the search criteria? And is there a algorithm in place for multiple search query hits in a single thread to produce top ranked title query results?
Thanks for the insight. It's good to know that it is a known issue to be addressed. I thought I was doing something incorrectly or ineffeciantly. I will look forward to the horizon, as I always do!

Upvote 0
Just curious, how do "keywords" fit into the search criteria? And is there a algorithm in place for multiple search query hits in a single thread to produce top ranked title query results?
Thanks for the insight. It's good to know that it is a known issue to be addressed. I thought I was doing something incorrectly or ineffeciantly. I will look forward to the horizon, as I always do!

If I remember correctly the algorithm removes 'common' words, so in effect the search is purely for keywords, and that's exactly how the results should be returned if the results are being sorted by relevancy (more keyword hits = higher relevancy).

Upvote 0
Here's the magic:

-Go to Google
-Type in what you're looking for
-Then add after your search terms: "site:northwestfirearms.com"

You'll get every thread that matches your topic.

Upvote 0

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads