JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've used them in early adulthood and then again after I shaved (most) of my beard off in 2020. Figured worth a shot again, but reverted to a more traditional setup. Still, relearning the skill didn't hurt (much).

The vintage razors and the expensive ones out of central Europe seem to be good. But there is a sea of low-quality, poorly made, crapola too, so caveat emptor. And ditto what was said above about a strop.

After seeing this out of curiosity I looked at Amazon and was surprised to see they still sell these things. Quite a few kinds there. Not what the OP wanted of course as he is looking for old ones but, I was surprised to see there must be a lot of people still using the old way to shave.
Been using the same one for over 60 years. Why people use anything else is beyond me.

Fear I would guess. :s0140:
I know I would not want to trust my aging eye's and hands to do a shave on myself with one.
It helps that it was how I was taught to shave and that I've been doing it so long that I don't even need a mirror. For someone just starting, I'd recommend to go slow and easy while building the muscle memory and expect to get nicked a few times while learning.

ETA: Using a strop is also a muscle memory skill that need to be practiced to perfect.

I trade my skills in property maintenance for free haircuts at a local barber shop that caters primarily to men.
They specialize in traditional straight razor facial shaves. I was just asked to replaced all of the older barber chairs, as the hydraulic lift cylinders had the bad habit of suddenly dropping downward a couple of inches when occupied by heavier set guys.
Not a good thing when you're laying backward while a straight razor is scrapping upwards on your throat.

Last Edited:
Making straight razors out of 1095 is fun. Most folks would be stunned how little steel is in one of those things. I tend to make them out of leftover cuttings of steel. If you have any inclination to doing metalwork, they are an easy point of entry. And... yes, I do use them to shave sometimes. Not stainless, but easy to make. (FWIW I don't sell them) I only mention this because a lot of the guys I know who use one also do some metalwork.

Making straight razors out of 1095 is fun. Most folks would be stunned how little steel is in one of those things. I tend to make them out of leftover cuttings of steel. If you have any inclination to doing metalwork, they are an easy point of entry. And... yes, I do use them to shave sometimes. Not stainless, but easy to make. (FWIW I don't sell them) I only mention this because a lot of the guys I know who use one also do some metalwork.
That would be fun to be able to do that.

That sounds like an excellent sales pitch. Now that you said I can't buy one, I really really want to.

Damn I have not seen one of those things in decades. Since I sport a lot of facial hair can get away without shaving for a couple days at work. Often hit the spots with an electric when in a hurry. Have been using the throw away's for a hell of a long time. Ever since the stores started having to lock up the damn blades for the nice razors and it was too much hassle to find a person with the damn key. 🤬
Daily Wire did a VERY funny ad making fun of Harry's a while back when they got "offended" and dropped their ads. So I did pre order one of their deals just to support them. Will be interesting to see how it feels to shave with a real razor again when the kit gets here. NOT brave enough to try a Straight on myself. :D
Ha, just realized I typo'd. I'm 37, not 27.

I'm 27 37, and I rock the double edge safety razor. Even my "premium" blades only cost be like $10/yr.
Damn I have not seen one of those things in decades. Since I sport a lot of facial hair can get away without shaving for a couple days at work. Often hit the spots with an electric when in a hurry. Have been using the throw away's for a hell of a long time. Ever since the stores started having to lock up the damn blades for the nice razors and it was too much hassle to find a person with the damn key. 🤬
Daily Wire did a VERY funny ad making fun of Harry's a while back when they got "offended" and dropped their ads. So I did pre order one of their deals just to support them. Will be interesting to see how it feels to shave with a real razor again when the kit gets here. NOT brave enough to try a Straight on myself. :D
Started using a straight razor and shaving soap & brush in high school (I'm a rather hirsute MF - a Neanderthal, really...), and used one for several years until the early 80s, when I went back to college and pretty much gave up shaving entirely, and ended up looking like this...

Sobo_Pembroke quarry.jpg Sobo_Whitesides, NC.jpg

Then in the early 90s, styles changed and I went nearly clean-shaven (but kept the mustache) for a number of years until the late 90s. Drug out the old straight razor and soap & brush again through those years. Along about the late 90s, I again slacked off the razor and used disposables to "keep the line".

Recently, I found the old straight razor and shaving soap cup again, but the brush had dried out and deteriorated to the point of being useless. So I use the gel shaving cream now, until I can find a nice brush, at which point I'll go back to using the soap. I really do like the nice, clean line along the neck that one can get with a straight razor. You just can't get that with a disposable. Maybe one can with a DE blade, but not a disposable...

And yes, @solv3nt, I caught your typo correction... :)

Killing time today in Elma WA, waiting for a tire repair. Asked about old razors in 2 places ( antique book store and a different place called " this and that ")
Neither one of the owners has seen an older razor come through in a while. The book store guy is pretty well traveled. He says he'll keep an eye out.

Last time I was at the Barton store on the way to Estacada they had a bunch of old memorabilia and a couple of straight razors for sale.

I'm 27, and I rock the double edge safety razor. Even my "premium" blades only cost be like $10/yr.
Same. Keep a disposable on hand for when I'm in a rush. Havent developed muscle memory yet.
Fear I would guess. :s0140:
I know I would not want to trust my aging eye's and hands to do a shave on myself with one. :D
I'd recommend to go slow and easy while building the muscle memory and expect to get nicked a few times while learning.
Almost to the point where I don't need a mirror. It would be easier if the razor handle had a shape where you knew the head orientation by holding it.

I have seen old ones at some knife shows. OKCA show in Eugene always had them. No show the last few years due to Covid. Maybe 2023? Watch for knife shows in your area.

Hi All:

I am looking for a few, quality older strait razors in descent condition. I don't really want to buy from Ebay or one of the other mail order sites. Do any of you have suggestions where I might try between Portland and Seattle? I live in Tacoma but am willing to drive for the right opportunity.

Thank You:

James
We're you looking for them for eall hangers or use?

For use you can contact a custom maker. I have done a few, but not for a while.

For commercial straight razors, I suggest the Portland Razor Company.

Wall hangers, go to some old school barber shops and see what the have on the walls.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top