JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know a lot of you are into training and that type of thing. A few years ago, I volenteered for the Multhnomaha County Sheriffs S.A.R. Team. I got some really good training, for FREE. I hear every county, atleast in OR, must have a SAR program, and most are Volenteer. It takes some of your time, we had meetings every Wed night and Outings for training one weekend per month. Your first year you are not certified, you do the traning, and at the end you take your Cert. Test. They teach you everything from Servival, First aid, CPR, Climbing, Repelling, to. Crime scene searches. We searched a few Murder scenes for Evedence, even found the body once. You supply most of your own gear, boots, pack, trail food, all that stuff. It is really good training! Plus you can help people! Just thought ide let you guys know. There are a few idiots you have to deal with, some of the advisors think they are The S**t cause they have a bubblegum that said MCSO and sometimes got to drive a truck with blue lights on it that said Sheriff on the side. Anyway, its a pretty good deal.

Usually they have a signup date I think mine was in the fall. Its once a year. You just get a backround check, which they pay for. They love EMTs joining. If you are too weak for it, you will quit! Out of about 100 that signed up. Maybe ten got certified. You have to hike a lot! We had to carry a 350lb man up Larch mt in a litter! Then back down! With our 3day packs on too! In the snow! The weak don't make it!

Old and probably outdated...

Subject: Search and Rescue Volunteers

The Polk County Sheriff’s Office is looking for adventurous individuals who enjoy the outdoors and like helping others. We are recruiting for ground search/support team members as well as individuals interested in being part of a newly formed specialized response team. Specialized response team members are members who own either a 4-wheel drive vehicle, all terrain vehicles (ATV’s), horses, JetSkies or snowmobiles.

Applicants should be in good health, able to walk long distances and be able to walk in difficult terrain.

The Sheriff’s Office will provide all of the training to those who are interested and who successfully pass an oral interview and criminal background check. Applicants must be 18 years of age and have a good driving record. Those that successfully complete the academy will become a State Certified Search and Rescue member.

Applications can be picked up at the Polk County Sheriff’s Office – 850 Main St., Dallas, Oregon 97338.

Application deadline is January 1, 2008.

Questions:

Contact the Sheriff's Office at 503-623-9251

Application:

Download the Polk County Volunteer Application. Please complete the application and mail to:

Polk County Sheriff's Office
850 Main Street
Dallas, OR 97338

Application Process:

1. Submit the volunteer application.
2. You will be contacted for an interview. Volunteer criteria include:

* Pass a police background and, if applicable, a driver's license check.
* Be a U.S. citizen.
* Satisfactory completion of the 60-hour SAR Academy.
* Possess a current, valid Oregon driver's license.
* Possess current First Aid and CPR certificates.

3. Satisfactory completion of both a field and written test.
4. Satisfactory completion of a mock search.

Once you have completed these four steps, you will be have the opportunity to take an Oath of Office and will be considered a certified member of the Polk County Search and Rescue Team.

Ongoing Requirements for Volunteers

Certified volunteers are required to complete 30 hours of ongoing training each calendar year, in addition to the original 60 hours of training through the SAR Academy. They also must attend monthly meetings and participate in mock searches.

Yamhill County SAR also provides a two-day survival training course. They have instructors and in the past have also had Air Force survival instructors, the formerly PDX based USAF SAR with a PaveHawk demonstrate.

A big component of any SAR effort is communications and some folks just do that end of it, learning about radios and how to communicate with search teams and the Sheriff's office.

I was rescued by the SAR team around Mt Hood a couple of years ago (not the mountain rescue team, the sheriff's team). They came in with 60 lb packs, carry everything they need for getting in an out themselves, tons of lights for when they are on the scene, lots of extra water, first-aid gear, plus a litter to carry out victims if need be. Others though stayed at the vans and trucks manning the radios, etc. All volunteers and good folks.

I actually did a Explorer group for SAR when I was in middle school. I did it for 2 years and was certified in SAR when I was 12.
I feel completely comfortable in the woods and I haven't done anything with that in over 15 years.
It's definetly a great way to get some necessary skills.

I've looked at joining http://www.pnwsar.org/ -- actually I am using their gear list as a guide for a get home bag/BOB....

They have a firearms policy:
FIREARMS POLICY

If a member of Pacific Northwest Search and Rescue is legally entitled to possess a firearm, their actions must comply with all applicable laws. However, if a situation should ever arise related to an individual's possession or use of a firearm during a search and rescue mission or PNWSAR sponsored training activity, the individual's actions would most likely fall outside the scope of PNWSAR's activities and cause the individual to be legally responsible for their own actions.

Therefore, Pacific Northwest Search and Rescue does not recommend, sanction, or condone the possession or use of any firearm during any Pacific Northwest Search and Rescue sanctioned training activity or search and rescue mission.

Failure to comply with this policy statement is subject to review by the PNWSAR board of directors and may result in actions taken against members pursuant to the by-laws of Pacific Northwest Search and Rescue.

For me, use of firearm in a SAR situation would be most likely animal which, IMHO, DOES fall under the scope of the PNWSAR.

I am hooking up with the local Douglas County SAR program. good group sold guns to members, and they twisted my arm into it....

but yea all they want is people with time, able bodies and or equipment like the equine and 4X4 divisions. like anything anymore they are hurting for volunteers.

good training, good caring people... its a good thing. Plus you are there to save lives.

hat is the best way to go about joining a SAR program and is there any qualifications that may help or hurt?

The best way to get started is to contact your county sheriff. They are the ones who set up the training & exams.

As far as abilities, some of the things that they need are Ham radio operators, medical (First Responder, EMT, etc.), climbers, equestrians, 4-wheelers, etc.

For Benton County, after passing the training, people can then get involved with a number of SAR teams depending on their interests and/or abilities. There is a Mounted Posse group for the horse people, Marys Peak SAR for the general SAR types (used to be mostly a 4-wheeler group), Benton County Amateur Radio for HAM/coms types, Trackers for those interested in mantracking, and Corvallis Mountain Rescue for the climber types. We also used to have a search dog team but they disbanded a few years ago.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top