JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so who uses what method? I sealded some rice a week ago or so and used the iron and the level trick. Well opened up the buckets today to look and one worked great and the other well it had an issue and did not seal all the way. I might have not had enough air out of it yet as alot of air was gone but:huh: Anyway opened it back up and made 6 small bags out of one big bag. This time I used my wifes hair straighner and it worked awsome. Seal looked 100% beter than the iron seal. Just wondering what you have used and found to work.

Thanks in advance:s0155:

I use an old model airplane iron (kind used to iron mylar onto wings) to provide the heat. Then I use a piece of wood under it. Biggest thing is to make sure the seal is complete 3/4 of the way across. Then to a 45 degree angle down, after squeezing the air out and seal the rest of the way.

Works great. Just started doing that this year (and my preps as well in buckets). Works great. I have had one that I had to reseal. But all the others (>10) have worked just fine.

Sodbuster

I was told to use an Iron, a level, a short 2x2 or 2x4. Not to install the bucket lid until you can actually see that the O2 absorber had worked or not. Or if the Mylar bag had a hole in it. After a few days you will know for sure or not if everything worked. If the Mylar bag has constricted around the food, you are golden! Then install the bucket lids.

Howard

Never thought about using a hair straightener...might have to try it out when the wifey not looking.

I used the iron first and after using the wifes straightner I will not use the iron again. Seam was lmost as smooth as a baby butt with the straghtner:s0114:

never had a problem with using the iron. i do put 1 or 2 extra o2 packs in each package
if you end up with a dud absorber you don't have to repack. they are cheap if you get them from LDS

I have no clue what kind of hair straightener to use but I am gong to Target today to pick one up.

Survival Blog has dozens of posts that say the same thing. Once you use a hair straightener you will never use an iron again.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top