JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I can not speak for every combat veteran , I can say for myself that coming home and readjusting is a long and on going process.
Somethings you think you have come to terms with , are safely put away so to speak.
And sometimes the past you want to forget , comes right back and hits you where you live.
Learning to accept what happened and what you did can be painful.
I hope everything turns out well for O'Neill.
Andy

Some can come to terms but it unlikely be put to bed. Though lasting only seconds now, I still get instantaneous, vivid, crystal clear visions of burned bodies piled up every time I smell singed hair or burnt cloth well over 40 years after the fact..
Veterans are still responsible for their actions. Nonetheless, some patients and understanding is afforded them.
There were things in my life I could not fathom or relate to until I experience them, so in my youth had no patients for and in some cases made fun of.
Age has taught me patients, wisdom understanding, and experience that matters, is unforgettable..

Why put it in the news?
Is he the first soldier to get a deewee?
HELL NO,leave the guy alone:mad:
And sorry,why should we make a thread on this? How many of us drink alcohol?
How many had times were there when we maybe shouldn't have drove home?o_O
Yeah,why did I bother to post here

I get what you are saying mjbskwim.
Would it have made the news if it were anyone else?
And it is true that folks should see to their own affairs , before addressing others about theirs.
However , because of O'Neill's past achievements , rightly or wrongly , he will make the news.
But I do agree with "leave the guy alone".
Sometimes it is best to let the person fix the deal , the best way he can , by himself.
Let him sort out his problems and move on.
Just like everyone else should do , when they have issues ...
Andy

Why put it in the news?
Is he the first soldier to get a deewee?
HELL NO,leave the guy alone:mad:
And sorry,why should we make a thread on this? How many of us drink alcohol?
How many had times were there when we maybe shouldn't have drove home?o_O
Yeah,why did I bother to post here

The same reason movie stars get put in the news.
Not that I agree with it but that is life and you have to deal with it.

I didn't post to put it in the spotlight. People like this should be more in the spotlight because he's an elite fighter. The best of the best. A hero among heroes.
And he's obviously suffer ling just like any no name PVT grunt who witnessed war. The greatest thing we as a nation can do for those that gave so much to this country, and those who suffer wounds and scars that we can't see is to reinforce at every avenue that they are not alone.
This isn't a battle they should face quietly in the dark.

Bring it to light. Bring it to the surface. Bring them together.

I'm hoping this was a case as he said of sleeping meds that he took at a bad time. And not alcohol. But either way. He should never be charged, hell he should never pay taxes for the rest of his days.
Same goes for all the others that gave such a sacrifice.

Man this was hard to read. I would have had a hard time being that officer to charge this man.

<broken link removed>

He will get his day in court just like everyone else does. It maybe hard arresting him, but it's harder going to the scene of an accident where the driver has plowed through a group of kids, or having to do a next of kin notification. Situation sucks, plenty of veterans have suffered the same or worse. Regardless, impaired driving gets people killed, and many time the impaired walk away without a scratch.

Secondly no one should get a free pass. If this was a Joe Citizen, a congressman or the the guy who signs the officers checks they all should be treated the same way.

he served his country. he did his job. that doesn't make him above the law. do i agree with the ticket? no, not with the information given but, the cops were just doing their job.

that music video in the above post brings tears to my eyes. i have a buddy who did 20 years and 6 tours. literally broke his back for our country. now hes disabled. one night driving home i saw him in the middle of the street(out in the country thank God)with his gun, naked, screaming at "rag heads" to get the F away. i kept driving and got out down the street and made contact with him from a distance. long story short... it turned out ok.

PTSD is real and our veterans need help.

While I can not speak for every combat veteran , I can say for myself that coming home and readjusting is a long and on going process.
Somethings you think you have come to terms with , are safely put away so to speak.
And sometimes the past you want to forget , comes right back and hits you where you live.
Learning to accept what happened and what you did can be painful.
I hope everything turns out well for O'Neill.
Andy

This is something every veteran and their families live every day. It gets easier with time, but it never goes away. 7 years past for our family, but the thoughts never leaves you. It gets easier with time, but the first two years are very challenging for every one. The families carry this burden as well in our love for them.

While I do not agree with his choice, a DUI is really a small thing in the terms of what these service members deal with, and I will not pass judgement on him, but extend my thanks for his service and my compassion for what he has to deal with.

Thank you for your service as well Andy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top