JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Haven't read the whole thread yet, so maybe someone already suggested this:
Bulk coffee bean bags are fairly heavy mylar, and often come with a pressure release valve. They are a bit of a pain to wash to get the oil removed, but it can be done. I don't drink coffee, but I used to work at a tech startup that drank several bags of the stuff a week.
Also, toner cartridges for laser printers usually come in some kind of mylar, and the mylar usually has some kind of stinky preservative embedded in it. Don't store food in those as they are NOT food safe. But they work for ammo.
You can cut these up into smaller bags by sealing the edges with something hot. Before I got a Food Saver I used a clothes iron. I also have a hand vacuum pump - the kind you can buy for bleeding brake lines - in case the power goes out and I need to vacuum store food in a bag.

We used to use Syrup bags from pepsi, they have a screw top maybe 2" so can be cleaned and the top has a valve pretty handy for waterproofing stuff. Not sure if they still make these.

That's how i store all my ammo. Each ammo can gets a few of those packets.
All of my ammo cans have a tight seal on the top...i always test them prior to purchase to make sure they seal tightly.
...and i always rotate through my ammo. when i buy new ammo i will go through the process of unloading my ammo boxes, pulling out the oldest of that caliber and replace it with newer stuff. i always try to shoot the oldest ammo i have first.

I'll have to try testing. How do you go about doing that?

Another thing I've learned over the years is to apply some petroleum jelly to the seal every so many years. Those seals dry out over time.

If you do your do diligence, once sealed, the little amount of moisture in that air that gets sealed in with the ammo should not cause any real problems. If your worried. Through some rice in there, loose with the ammo.

Petroleum based lubricants will deteriorate those seals over time. Coconut oil is what I use on mine because it doesnt go rancid like other vegetable oils do.

th?id=JN.UbQh3VKFLWd36uz%2fh9GISA&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top