JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im headed out there to try and get some blue backs. anyone have a favorite lure or fly they like to use.
im headed out with agilas and blue foxes. and some random dace nymphs and buggers. perhaps even some beaded flies.

also going to bobber up some shrimp.

wish me luck.

waters being fished will be the salmon river and the nestucca

A word of caution here, the salmon river and the little nestucca are both closed to the use of bait above tide water until Aug.31st I believe. The cuts are in though, and further up than one would think right now, they came in a little early this year. If I was to use bait though I would either use a garlic scented full length nightcrawler on a #2 bait hold hook with the lightest test leader I could get away with, #2 or #4 at tops as the water is Gin clear and low due to lack of rain. Or a sculpin cut lengthways from the tip to the tail, leaving an eye on each side. Both of these are flat deadly on Cutthroat. I've taken a few really nice ones this year at the confluence of the little and big nestucca river. Your on the right track though with the lures and flies. And YES Wayno the do hit crawlers,, my drug of choice, along with a little garlic scent.;)

I've not fished bluebacks for many years. I learned the old-school way on the Siletz and Nestucca. Behind a boat, we drug a worm behind a Ford Fender or a Willow Leaf. See how old I am?

Sculpins, (mudcats) for bait? Who'd a thunk?:)

I miss this great fishery from decades ago.

WAYNO.

I've not fished bluebacks for many years. I learned the old-school way on the Siletz and Nestucca. Behind a boat, we drug a worm behind a Ford Fender or a Willow Leaf. See how old I am?

WAYNO.

I also fished the Siletz for blueback back in the day. I didin't troll but pitched rooster tails. So far, nothing has been more fun then those trout on ultralight gear

WAYNO.

Any time you would like to go WAYNO just let me know. I'd be glad to take you out and rekindle those old memories.

A lot of good sized ones around.Blue fox #3 or #4 trout colored blade with the silver bell that has a pink stripe on it.My friend Brian says that lure is like batting cleanup.If I catch one in a hole with a different lure he will catch three with that one.We caught a good sized 16" one that had two whole mudcats in his belly two weeks ago.

Blues were out today but no bites...saw two eight ponders though. One up at roslodge and one down at the rail....no luck for me lol

Those eight pounders you were looking at were Steelhead my friend. The poor one thats down at the rail has been trapped there for awhile by the smolt trap that has been placed there by ODFW. They have built a barrier completely across the creek and halted the run,, something illegal about that too. I've had conversations with the manager at the Salmon river hatchery about that in the past (his wife is running the smolt project) and had the full barrier removed to allow passage. I explained that it was a federal violation to block passage, it was opened shortly thereafter. Perhaps a call up the food chain in the department is in order this time. There is also another trap just upstream from that one.
I understand the importance of an accurate smolt count, but if you or I did this, we would be in deep kimchi for doing so.

I wish we would have had a chance to have met when you were down! I live just up river from there.
John.

I used to catch 'em in the Yaquina up by Elk City about 40 years ago. I had a spot that I could count on to limit in a couple of hours. Don't recall ever getting skunked there. Of course, memory fades in 40 years.

Worm to catch a small bullhead. Stripped about 2 inches of bullhead meat off the side and used that for bait.

Nightcrawlers fished on the bottom or under a slip float work great. I've also done well using pieces of squawfish, perch, and bullhead.

Lures I've done good on - size #2 or #3 blue fox vibraxorange/nickel, nickel/orange triple teasers and dick nites, wedding ring spinners tipped with bait, black rooster tails, black panther martins.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top