JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got to see that happen in Yaquina Bay back in the early 80's. I had to feel bad for the sealions when they were trying to get out of the water and not become lunch. some did, many didint. It was quite a grisly scene. Orca quickly became one of my favorite animals at that point and I wish there were more of them along our coast to clear out these sea rats that kill our salmon.

and they are sooo smart. I saw a video on animal planet or some bubblegum that showed two killers playing with a baby seal then nudging the little bugger back to shore. Also, the Great white that was killed back a few years ago in Cali used something we humans just discovered a few years ago to kill it.

Ah Orca's eating Seal Lions is going to do what for Salmon Populations? OK I guess if they are eating Sea Lions then they keep those few Sea Lions from eating Salmon. But since Orca's live off of salmon I kind of think the exercise is moot. From Wiki.

Killer whales hunt varied prey; however, different populations or species tend to specialize and some can have a dramatic impact on certain prey species.[89] For example, some populations in the Norwegian and Greenland sea specialize in herring and follow that fish's autumnal migration to the Norwegian coast. Other populations prey on seals. Salmon account for 96% of northeast Pacific residents' diet. About 65% of them are large, fatty Chinook.[90] Chum salmon are also eaten, but smaller sockeye and pink salmon are not a significant food item.[91] Depletion of specific prey species in an area is, therefore, cause for concern for local populations, despite the high diversity of prey. On average, a killer whale eats 227 kilograms (500 lb) each day.[92

Several years ago while trolling inside the Duxbury buoy (2 miles off the southern Marin County coast) we saw a great white shark at least 16 feet long make short work of a sea lion. It was grisly to watch but the nearby salmon probably appreciated it more than I did.

I was at sea world last week for the Orca show and they had a clip playing on the big screen. They spent 5 minutes talking about how they saved the life of one (1) Sea Lion. It was classic. It was wounded and they had found a bullet in it after they did surgery for the big cut on it's side from a boat or something. Sounded like they had it in ICU for weeks before they released it back into the wild.

I hope it lived a nice healthy life or was naturally consumed by an Orca. Well that's all i'm going on say on the internet about it:)

Tom Mattusch, Captain of the Huli Cat, a 53' party boat out of Pillar point (Half Moon Bay) south of San Francisco, tells a story about an ecology trip he once had to Ano Nuevo Island to watch elephant seals at their breeding grounds. A great white attacked a sea lion and was tearing it to shreds when a little girl rushed up to him and started beating him with her fists saying "Make him stop, make him stop".

It's all part of the indoctrination our children get in government schools in CA.

Too Bad I could not invite all the Board Members of the Native Fish Society to the:

Come Swim with the Whales Party!

And dont forget you must wear your black wetsuits and uni flipper so as not to disturb the Orcas .

Wish I could scoop about 100 lbs. of those live anchovies and introduce them to my vacuum packer then spend much time following the Striped Bass from Brookings northward ...:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top