Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sea lion attacks San Diego fisherman

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by U201491, Apr 28, 2015.

1. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. U201491

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  3. Raidingtime

Raidingtime SE Portland Oregon Well-Known Member

4. U201491

5. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

When one eyeballs you at 30 ft. you really appreciate their size.:eek:

U201491 likes this.
  6. U201491

And anyone that thinks a Sea Lion won't go after a Dog or a Child needs to watch this one.
    We witnessed one kill a Heron just to kill it then tossed it away.
    The clock is ticking till someone's kid gets killed while swimming along the rivers here.
    They do not call them Sea "Lions" without cause.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  7. Raidingtime

I simply enjoy barking at them. However, I would not want to fight one with my fists.

8. Raidingtime

well they were there first. Pretty sure the U.S. Navy runs over their kids all the time. Just saying...

9. MinnesotaORnewbie

MinnesotaORnewbie Oregon Active Member

10. Quacky88

Quacky88 Oregon Active Member

Hahaha. Classic. At least Señor Douche has a new story for his friends down at the country club.

11. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

A Leopard Seal will hunt you down and kill you. They have a very nasty disposition.

erudne and salmonriverjohn like this.
  12. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Was fishing on the Willamette last week. Hooked a chinook and as it was getting closer to the boat the fish took off at warp-5. Of course it was a sea lion running off with the fish. Broke it off that fast. Then we idled over to the bank to let the dog pea. Three more sea lions that apparently didn't realize the fish was already gone followed us all the way to the bank at a very close distance to the boat. Ya just don't know what those sea lions are planning.

WAYNO.

13. PrDubi

PrDubi Deep in the heart of Dirty South Salem Active Member

soo.....as a newbie.... isn't their something within the law you can do if sea lion is taking your catch?

14. scrandall01215

scrandall01215 Washougal,WA Well-Known Member

Ya let him eat it!! That's what the LAW says.
    Stacy

15. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've heard of people taking off after the fur bag. If you can stay on top of the beast they will release, eventually, maybe. They don't/can't eat under water, they come to the top and thrash it around breaking the salmon apart.
    As far as I know, non-lethal means are allowed, and some people are using them. Paint ball, marbles, wrist rocket. However, if you were to cause an injury you could be in BIG trouble.

That poor little penguin.....What trouble did a penguin ever cause. :(

16. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had a boat down at Newport for years and heard lots of stories of dogs being grabbed off the docks. Never had one go after mine but they were there. We used to clean the sea bass and throw the carcass in the marina. The sea lions would be right there and grab em . The marina finally banned dumping them in.

17. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

See line must have been watching the news about Baltimore and Ferguson and decided it was time he got his fair share.

18. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Eight years or so ago Wifey and I were in Newport on the docks looking for some tuna. There was a guy there on crutches that had his calf bit by a fur bag that came up on the dock!

We'd heard the story of a tuna boat that had been tossing tuna carks in the water and had been fined. This must have been about the time they banned throwing fish parts in from the docks. There were fur bags here and there, and man, those things a huge when they're right next to the dock you're standing on. Anyway, we were lucky enough to be there when a couple of State Police were down there lighting off some seal bombs. Pretty neat little pyrotechnics they had there. They'd light em' and toss them in the water, when they blew up hundreds of little fish would jump and a big bunch of bubbles would surface.

I wish someone would REALLY do something about these animals, but it looks like they're waiting 'till a child has an arm/leg pulled off or is drowned or something! Funny how the elected officials can come up with a law in a couple of months that puts the hurt on law abiding citizens, yet they stand around thumping their dummy's waiting for a child to die by fur bag!?

19. PrDubi

PrDubi Deep in the heart of Dirty South Salem Active Member

they outsmarted the Corp of Engineers... up at the locks.... little buggers they are.

20. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you've ever watched one eat a salmon, you will have noticed that they only take a large bite of the Salmons belly where all the fat is stored, and then toss the carcass over their shoulder and resume hunting.