JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Too much air gap in cases can be bad
in long shells sometimes mag primers will solve your problem sometimes they won't.changing powders sounds like what you need to do. in this case the powder back in shells causes too much pressure use a slower powder on the chart that will fill the case more look at 32 mag powders and use one that works atnear max load and work it up a little if need

I just picked up 100 Federal 200 primers at Fisherman's in Tigard (near 217 and Scholls) for $3. They are yours for the taking if you report back here if they made any difference (I work in Hillsboro near 26 and Cornelius Pass Rd). Or you can just pop in and buy some, they might limit you to 300 or so, but they did have about 1k in stock.

OK I went to Fisherman's and got some Fed 200's. Also looked at a Savage 10BA Stealth they had, interesting gun. I had no idea they sold gun stuff. :rolleyes:

So now I could make exactly the Hodgdon load. Here are the chrono results (F means powder forward, B means powder back).

4.3gr Titegroup
1103 F
1116 F
1120 B

4.8 gr Titegroup
1172 F
1162 F
1224 B
1201 B

5.2 gr Titegroup (max)
1203 F
1277 F
1270 B
1267 B

The "F" brass tended to fall out of the cylinder while the "B" brass always needed a push. The "B" also might have had a bit flatter primers. The max loads had quite flat primers generally.

Conclusion, there is still a bit of powder position sensitivity here, but not near as much with the rifle primers. So I guess I will stay away from rifle primers except when I'm loading .357 Max. I don't think they hurt much with a case full of slow powder, but they definitely do with the fast ones.

The velocity is just what Hodgdon predicts in this load, but they are using a 5" barrel and mine is 4".

Last Edited:
It definitely is powder position sensitivity. :(

I put 4 in the cylinder and shot two with the powder forward, and two with it back. No chonograph because I was in the woods, but the first two cases fell out of the cylinder and the second two took a hard push. Also their primers were much flatter.

I wonder if my using small rifle primers has a hand in this.

I guess I will go back to H110 or 296 even though it is unpleasant to shoot because of the blast. Maybe just a starting load and leave it at that. I wish someone would publish a Blue Dot load, that is my only intermediate pistol powder.

I might need to re-check my .44 Mag Titegroup loads now, just to be sure.

Really dude? You're using small rifle primers, not small pistol primers. That's where the extra umph is coming from. Rifle primers have a little bit of extra priming compound to ignite bigger charges.

It may seem positional, but that's probably a smaller part than using a much hotter primer than you should. I've also found the federal primers tend to be hotter than CCI or Winchester.

If nothing else, back the load off to .32H&R mag specs and see if it evens out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top