JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Resizing some brass shot out of my Aero m5 in 308 and I'm noticing some pretty consistent brass markings. I don't care if they're scratches but cracks are an issue. Any opinions on these? I can't tell what sort of damage they are.

Still pretty new to reloading but these have only been fired 2 to 3 times max. I'm not the best at keeping track at how many times they've been loaded, just keep an eye out for this kind of stuff.

20200402_151325.jpg 20200402_151348.jpg 20200402_151359.jpg

This is after a tumble, yes?
Cracks will show powder tracks after firing, before you tumble.
In the photo, on my phone, those look like deep gouges.
I'm concerned that they are on the shoulder, close to the case wall.
Toss, annealed the rest, keep track.

Hard to tell from just looking at the pictures.

Either way, if it's a scratch, it looks deep enough to compromise the integrity of the case. The location on the shoulder area would concern me.

Hard to tell from just looking at the pictures.

Either way, if it's a scratch, it looks deep enough to compromise the integrity of the case. The location on the shoulder area would concern me.
That was my concern as well. They're deep enough in most cases to catch a finger nail in so I guess I'll toss em. Thing is, I have a bunch of once fired lake city stuff that has the same marks so I'm wondering if I need to look at the feed ramps/chamber in the rifle.

This is after a tumble, yes?
Cracks will show powder tracks after firing, before you tumble.
In the photo, on my phone, those look like deep gouges.
I'm concerned that they are on the shoulder, close to the case wall.
Toss, annealed the rest, keep track.
Yeah. Looking through all my brass and it basically all has the same gouges in it. A good portion of it is only once fired too.. Sigh

it looks like both in different spots.

one thing you can try is if you take a paper clip, straighten it out and then bend a 90* at the end, use it to see if you can feel it on the inside of the case. most likely a split or almost split if you can

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top