JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at a pawn shop and they had a Ruger .44Magnum that looks mechanically sound. Comes with a red dot scope. They knocked the price down by $100 but I still didn't buy it. The reason is unsightly scratches with rust in the scratches all over the barrel. It was like somebody kept tossing the gun into a metal toolbox or something. The barrel looked OK but I'd have to check it with a bore light to be sure.

My question is whether the stainless scratches with rust are repairable? The scratches run from minor to moderate but no deep ones. Any ideas?

They polish out but can you find one that isn't beat to death at a similar price?

That a pistol has a generic red dot on it is not necessarily a selling point to me. Aimpoint T1 yes, NCStar, keep it.

H

If its a Super Redhawk or Super Blackhawk I would buy it at that price.
It's still not a bad deal for a standard stainless model, but be sure it's sound.

I'm always leery of firearms that appear to have been abused. Who knows how deep the abuse goes and how much "bubba work" has been done inside.

For me they're only a potential parts gun and I pay accordingly.

I'm always leery of firearms that appear to have been abused. Who knows how deep the abuse goes and how much "bubba work" has been done inside.

For me they're only a potential parts gun and I pay accordingly.

That was entirely my thinking. If he/she treated the outside like that what else was abused? I walked away and spent a few more dollars on a like-new BFR.

You need some savvy to check out a unwarranteed revolver, end shake/cylinder/bore alignment, trigger feel (for bubba work detection)

Stainless will rust if you neglect it!

As long as it is mechanically sound the damage you describe can easily be taken care of with very little work. I love taking guns like that and making them look new again...or often better than new.

One thing I will add. In my experience I have often found guns with similar surface issues are usually in better shape mechanically then well loved guns. people that just toss them aside and pay them no attention are seldom big shooters. The guns have usually been shoved in a drawer or stored for long periods in a holster. people who actually shoot their guns tend to appreciate their guns and care for them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top