JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After a minor mod to my Mini resulted in a dramatic improvement in accuracy, it's now accurate enough to warrant a scope, albeit just for load testing, the rest of the time it'll continue to wear a RDS. As this will just be an occasional use thing, and probably won't see a lot of use even then, I don't see a need for a high dollar scope. I also won't be using it for long range shooting, maybe 100 yards while load testing, if that. My RDS is sighted in at 50, and that works fine for my needs. Only fly in the ointment is eye relief, I'm going to need about 12".

So with all that said, can anyone make a recommendation? Want to keep the cost under $200, don't need any fancy bells and whistles, a standard unilluminated plex reticle will do just fine. Not worried about light gathering, nor do I think a variable is necessary for my purposes. Just want glass good enough for clear view at 100 yards, and adjustments that hold. Thanks.

Dave

I also won't be using it for long range shooting, maybe 100 yards while load testing

With your requirements, just about any scope in your price range will work, 12" eye relief being the biggest factored requirement.

100 yards isn't that far.

I've heard good things about opticsplanet.com but never used them.

I had a Leupold 4x on a hunting rifle and it was fantastic but you can find decent stuff for cheaper.

I'd get at least a 4x or higher would be better for load testing imo.

Good links, thanks, but almost all the scopes reviewed are either variables, or well beyond my budget. That said, the Vortex keeps showing up on all these lists, so I may have to give one a look. Only concern is eye relief, it's rated at around 10", and I'm afraid that might be a little short on my Mini. It's an older model, and tends to eject empty brass up and forward, so I'm concerned about a scope getting hit. The minimum just to clear the ejection port is about 10", and that doesn't allow any leeway if a shell flips forward. Anyone have one of these that could either confirm my concern or set my mind at ease? Thanks, guys.

Dave

I'm having issues with how you plan to mount that optic on a Mini-14.

The way the rails attach aren't really reliable for accuracy and so your accuracy will be negatively effected by that mount... negating the accuracy gains.

Which is exactly what I have on my Mini. It goes on in place of the OEM hand guard, and replaces the upper half of the gas block, plus has a clamp that wraps around the barrel back toward the ejection port. With it in place, all optics are mounted forward of the ejection port. The UltiMAK is great, my only complaint is the cost :eek:. There are a couple of other similar products, at similar prices, but this is the only one made of 2024 aluminum, all the others are 6061. 2024 is about the same as 7075 in so far as strength and hardness is concerned, which is about double what you can get from 6061. Harder and stronger seemed like a good choice for an optics rail, and so far, I'd have to say it's worth the cost. Plus, it looks slick, Ruger should either make these an OEM part, or at least offer them as an option, even on the current model Mini's. So, any more questions, Dyjital ;)?

In my experience, to get the eye relief you want (which I would want also), if you go with Leupold, you would need to go with a pistol scope - their Scout scopes just don't have the eye relief to mount forward of the action the way most people want to, or should.

Burris, more eye relief - 11-21" - they are basically their pistol scopes, which is what I use. In my experience Burris scopes are good quality and rugged.

The only thing is I have not found anyone who makes a tactical Scout or pistol scope with enough eye relief that starts at 1-1.5X and goes up from there. Weaver makes a 1.5-4x pistol scope with a glossy finish. I may get one and paint it with a matte finish.

So, any more questions, Dyjital ;)?

Yup.

I do. It's the repeatable accuracy considering the mini's inherent multi-MOA accuracy. The large weight of the rod/spring slamming back and forth up there with the mount and barrel flex just has me curious.

I'm all for the mount if it can keep your accuracy. The physics side of me is still questioning.

I'm really interested in the end result.

Btw: I'd run a Leupold 1 or 4 x scout scope.

Don't know about continuing repeatable accuracy yet, but the mount is alleged to maybe help with some of the barrel flex. I do have a strut for it, I may install it before my next range trip, although at the moment, I'm inclined to leave it off and see if the accuracy improvement I saw on my last trip continues, then install the strut and see what difference, if any, it makes.

Here's some fuzzy physics for you, the accuracy increase came from simply changing out the recoil spring for a stronger one. That was literally all I did, and group sizes went from about 2"+ at 50 yards down to 1". 5 shot groups BTW, and using a red dot, NOT a magnified optic. Not a clue as to why that should happen, I wasn't expecting it, although I'd read of other people getting similar results. Oh, one other change, while installing the mount, I also changed to a smaller (.050") gas bushing, didn't really notice much difference, other than ejection being a bit gentler and less erratic. Still launches empties up and forward, but they're not bouncing off the firing line roof, most are landing about 5 or 6 feet away at the 1 o'clock position. And so far, no difference in reliability, I put about 200 rounds through it with no issues.

Something else I've read, and seems to be holding true, is bullet weight matters with these rifles, sometimes a lot. I've been running some 62 gr. Magtech factory FMJ's, as well as a couple of different reloads, a 55 g. FMJ and a 62 gr. bonded soft point. Both the heavier bullet loads are much more accurate, with the handload looking very promising, with a better optic, I might be hitting that magical 1 MOA. Fortunately, I still have a bunch of those bullets on hand, which is the main reason I'm looking at a scope. Not that I need 1 minute accuracy from this rifle, but if I can get it, and I'm loading for it anyway, why not?

As to scope recommendations, I'd love a Burris or Leupold, but I just don't want to spend the money on something that's going to spend most of its time collecting dust. I thought I'd scored a Leupold 4X pistol scope yesterday, but turns out it had just sold. So the search continues. Too bad I need a scout mount setup, I have a couple of scopes on hand that would be perfect otherwise. I guess that's just one more thing that argues in favor of the AR platform vs. these older Mini's. Regardless of the challenges, though, I'm enjoying this little rifle, and like the AR platform, I think it's a lot more capable than folks realize. More later.

Dave

Found a cheap scope that will do what I need. It's a BSA 2-7x32 Edge, it's actually a pistol scope, but the eye relief range is 9-21", so lots of folks use them for scout scopes. I actually owned one of these a few years back, not a bad scope for the money, less than $100 at Midway, and free shipping. Ordered a couple sets of rings, low and medium, so should be GTG. Later.

Let us know how it works out.

Still interested in groups

Will do, and so am I :). Probably next weekend at the earliest, it just shipped, and could be even longer, I go in for minor surgery Tuesday after next, and will probably be laid up for a few days after that, if only to pacify the wife :rolleyes:. Later.

Les écrans plus petits et puissants sont à peine observés dans les smartphones de nos jours. En y réfléchissant, nous avons organisé une liste des meilleurs smartphones 5 pouces que vous pouvez acheter en ligne aux meilleurs prix. À la recherche d'un smartphone taillé sur mesure ? C'est peut-être difficile de trouver un tel appareil qui soit exactement comme on le souhaite, mais en ce qui concerne les smartphones 5 pouces, le choix est très large.

I was just thinking the same thing!! :rolleyes:

Les écrans plus petits et puissants sont à peine observés dans les smartphones de nos jours. En y réfléchissant, nous avons organisé une liste des meilleurs smartphones 5 pouces que vous pouvez acheter en ligne aux meilleurs prix. À la recherche d'un smartphone taillé sur mesure ? C'est peut-être difficile de trouver un tel appareil qui soit exactement comme on le souhaite, mais en ce qui concerne les smartphones 5 pouces, le choix est très large.
English please! ;)

Since someone brought this back to life, I guess I still owe you guys an update. I'll make it short, the scope was pretty much a bust, at least on the Mini 14, I shoot it just as well with the red dot, and it's a lot easier to sight with, even when playing around at longer ranges. I can pretty consistently whack an 8" steel gong at 200 yards, and a 12" is doable at 300. Plenty good enough for the role this rifle fills, if I need precision, I have a couple of bolt action rifles set up for that. Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads