JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sunday, February 28, 2016
he National:
AIRGUN owners have been given six months to get a licence for their weapons before strict new laws come into force at the end of the year.

The Scottish Government pledged to introduce the licensing scheme following the death of Glasgow toddler Andrew Morton, who was killed by an airgun in 2005.

The two-year-old died after being hit on the head with an airgun pellet near his home in the Easterhouse area of the city on March 2.

It is estimated that there are about 500,000 unlicensed air weapons in Scotland.

It will be a criminal offence to have an air weapon without a licence or permit from December 31, 2016

For the children!!

F those Scots! They had a vote to become independent and it failed, preferring to stay tethered to the UK (England) so the checks keep coming.

I just wonder how long until we have something similar here... that is to say if you don't think it already is via 'background checks' and 4473's.... :rolleyes:

So because of one, bizarre freak accident 500,000 guns are going to be registered? I'd say that the people could just say "NO"? Would LE start going door to door? While neighbors stood there and watched as their neighbors were arrested for "Failure to register an air gun"?

I'm sorry, but I think it would suck to live in these countries. You still have as much chance to be robbed or murdered for the most part, but have pretty much had the choice of how to protect yourself removed. Living for 60 years in America and still being able to make many choices for my self with out being told what to do "For the good of the collective", sure feels good!

It would sure be nice to have @tac come in here and give us some more insight into the situation, but I fear the gentleman is gone.

Sound to me like Scottland is just trying to find ways to come up with revenue. This kind of knee jerk reaction is just insane.

The perp is the only one that deserves to be punished, not the innocent masses of air gun enthusiasts. Sickening.

Good grief. Why so many people are okay with this crap is beyond my thinking. I guess there isn't much they can do to stop it, short of armed revolt, and they're certainly not going to do that.

As with this country, nothing about this new law as ANY DAMN THING to do with saving lives. This is government control, plain and simple. And EVERYONE, regardless of political affiliation, should be outraged by it, whether in Scotland or here at home. It's frickin' sick.

I wonder if they just issue each subject a small jar of Vaseline to make things just a little easier?

I'm still waiting for my jar. It's getting more and more painful as time passes :(

Last Edited:
So because of one, bizarre freak accident 500,000 guns are going to be registered? I'd say that the people could just say "NO"? Would LE start going door to door? While neighbors stood there and watched as their neighbors were arrested for "Failure to register an air gun"?

I'm sorry, but I think it would suck to live in these countries. You still have as much chance to be robbed or murdered for the most part, but have pretty much had the choice of how to protect yourself removed. Living for 60 years in America and still being able to make many choices for my self with out being told what to do "For the good of the collective", sure feels good!

It would sure be nice to have @tac come in here and give us some more insight into the situation, but I fear the gentleman is gone.
What happened with him? I was also waiting for his input.

Sound to me like Scottland is just trying to find ways to come up with revenue.

I can't see that. If they actually started jailing innocent people over this law, it is certainly a net loss in the budget.

Nor do I see it as any vast conspiracy.

No, I just see this as baked into the model of governance that we have today. Think about it. The gun bureaucracy wants to expand its reach a bit, just some empire-building. Combine that with the prohibitionist nut cases applying some pressure and some re-election funding to legislators, and to most legislators not having much of a gun-owning constituency, and the fact that ordinary people don't follow what the legislature does (they have better things to do with your time) and this is what you end up with. There is no "reasonable" stopping point to it.

Again, the remedy is not to expend great efforts to try to stop the worst of it. That's been tried, and the success rate is low. The remedy is to ignore the law. For that purpose, this law is actually quite excellent, because it is so ridiculous, and so it is easy to ignore.

If the people can't manage that, then they deserve to be slaves.

Here's a thought. Let's say it costs $5 per gun to register them. If 200,000 guns are registered, that would be a million dollars to save somewhere around zero lives. Now imagine how many lives you could save if you spent that money in a thoughtful, responsible manner. A hundred? A thousand? It's sure to be a lot more than zero.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top