JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a handful of old rifles that have been passed down. Many of them don't have any bluing left. Some are considered family heirlooms, but have little monetary value. Several have old worn out or broken scopes on them.

I'd like to get these shooting again, but don't want to spend a fortune to do so. What do you all think? Find some old scopes, re-blue them, etc?

Is there a budget scope out there that still matches the old school look?
Here is a picture of an old Savage that needs a replacement scope, and the rear sight possibly removed.

02711A9F-ECD4-4BBA-ADC1-64D409D2C811.jpeg

Bit different scope on this one. The rear lens is bouncing around. Looks like it was dropped and landed on the scope.

Hunting for old scopes is difficult with the stay at home thing.

I collect old El Paso-made Weaver scopes from the 50's and 60's, as I bleeve that they represent THE definitive American-made rifle scope of that time. I have a few K4s and older designs, and the 3 -9 variable on my K31 that I leave set on x4 to comply with the rules. I paid $40 for that great scope, but I also bought four others at the same time for $80, so I don't feel I was ripped off.

Here's the K4 - an older model from around 1950-52 -

1585175087125.png
1585175208601.png

...and here's the x3-9 -

1585175267713.png

I think that the earlier one looks better, but that's just my opinion.

Here's a real oldie, though - a Walther Sport Modelle 2 from 1930 with a contemporary scope -

1585175421233.png

And a Mauser ES350B from 1937 -

1585175491684.png

This x18 Unertl Super Varmint with calibrated head is on a 1957 BSA MkII International -

1585175683629.png

...and these two Tasco T707 - a x16 and x18, are on another BSA and Anschutz respectively -
1585175777602.png

1585175846591.png

I'm embarrassed to say that you've seen them all before, but it's true, you must be sick of seeing 'em by now.

I also have a little collection older scopes from around 1905. I might dig them out and take a pic for you if there is any interest. Oh, and a v. odd US-made prismatic scope for cheapskates...

Awsome collection tac! Thanks for sharing.

I was recently amazed by the selection of weaver and redfield etc scopes on eBay. Search for "vintage scope" and go from there.

Rings from Warne. Made in Tualatin, OR.

Clamp-on mount from Swiss Products in Kalispell MT. Family business that makes ALL kinds of VERY HIGH QUALITY accessories and diopter sights for Swiss rifles of all ages - Swiss Products | swissproductsusa | Kalispell Montana

If you DO deal with them, tell them I sent you, father and son team of Piérre and Latigo St Marie are like family, capisce?

Last Edited:
The only old El Paso Weaver I have mounted at the moment is a K2.5 post recticle on my 1893 Mauser, which was a Boer contract rifle (1898) that was part of a shipment that was turned around at South Africa by the British blockade and returned to Berlin. Most of the shipment was sold to Chile, but this particular rifle was retained and made into a sporter at the factory, my guess by an employee for himself. The wood tooling marks in the mannlicher stock are identical to another Chilean DWM 1893 I have. Did I mention the 7X57 is a shooter too...? And the scope is still in great shape for being over 70 years old.

20190924_172948.jpg

I had a Win 88 that was missing the front sight so I picked up a Weaver KV 2.5-5 from Ebay for $50-60. I think it'd been re-worked in El
Paso while they were still doing that because it was just as clear as my Leupolds and Nikons. I sold it with the rifle and I'm kind of wishing
that I'd have kept the scope. It'd work nicely on my Marlin MN 22 mag.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top