JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So if you had a spare 3-9x scope lying around and wanted to try it on a lever gun, would you put it on a Marlin .44 mag or a .357 mag? I'm intentionally not stating my purpose for either gun, because what I learn here could influence what I decide. So I'm interested to learn what you guys might do given the same choice, and why. Thanks for ideas.

I killed my first buck with a browning model 81 .308
I know this isn't a pistol caliber, but given the chance to do what you are thinking, no, I would leave it as is. That's a short range gun, and there's a man thing about iron sights. Remember scopes were for city folk, or folks with extra money back in the day. Like even 40 years ago. The best shots always started on iron sights. My thoughts...

Oredgonhunter is wrong. Scoping is a matter of choice. In my case I need the scope on my 357 and 45-70. Maniless has nothing to do with your choice to scope or not. It is dependent on your needs or desires.

So if you had a spare 3-9x scope lying around and wanted to try it on a lever gun, would you put it on a Marlin .44 mag or a .357 mag? I'm intentionally not stating my purpose for either gun, because what I learn here could influence what I decide. So I'm interested to learn what you guys might do given the same choice, and why. Thanks for ideas.

Well, since you've given us only two choices, and not the reason, my suggestion is, it doesn't matter...Both guns have similar trajectory. If you might be setting up a gun that could be used for medium-sized game hunting, then putting it on the .44 would make more sense. If you're striving for familiarity for a lever gun and scope combo, I'd still stick with the .44, since it's slightly harder kicking than a .357.

WAYNO.

You don't need a scope on a Marlin carbine. Either of them. They are 125 yd game rifles. A 3x9 isnt gonna buy you a single extra yard for all the effort. If you must have a scope I would advise something lower powered. It's not a manliness thing, more one of practicality. People kill bubblegum with iron sights at 125 yds all the time. By scoping you add weight and reduce the handiness that makes these little carbines so useful. BTW, I own one in .44 myself.

I'd say some sort of peep sight also. They are very fast and accurate.
I'd take off the open sight, replace it with a dovetail blank and sell the scope.
You won't regret it.

A Lyman peep sight is what I would go for. I see no use for a scope on a .357 or .44 lever gun. I have a 24" .357 and I wouldn't consider scoping that. A fixed 2x scout type scope could work, but why? I honestly believe optics to be overrated. On one of my rifles sits a 3.5-10x. All the rest of my scoped big game rifles have a fixed 4x or less on them. If you go the scope rout, don't remove the front or back iron sights. Those could come in real handy in the field.

I think the responders here are reading too much into the original question...

Sounds like it's an experiment of some kind, not necessarily designed to create a plains-shooter out of a revolver-cartridge-carbine. I hope the OP will let us know what the intentions of this experiment are.

WAYNO.

I think the responders here are reading too much into the original question...

Sounds like it's an experiment of some kind, not necessarily designed to create a plains-shooter out of a revolver-cartridge-carbine. I hope the OP will let us know what the intentions of this experiment are.

WAYNO.

Since when does having a peep-sight make a rifle a "plains shooter"?
What are you talking about?
What was the last American military rifle with open sights?
How long have they, the military, been using peep/aperture sights? They still use them.
Have you ever fired a weapon with peep sights?
Also, any scope will f up the cheek weld unless you strap on some sort of gizmo or re-stock it.

Since when does having a peep-sight make a rifle a "plains shooter"?
What are you talking about?
What was the last American military rifle with open sights?
How long have they, the military, been using peep/aperture sights? They still use them.
Have you ever fired a weapon with peep sights?
Also, any scope will f up the cheek weld unless you strap on some sort of gizmo or re-stock it.

Peep sights, and they are my preferred choice, was not part of the OP's question.

My comment, addressed the discussions of putting a scope on short-range lever guns. That's all. My little lever guns would never wear a scope either, but as the OP said, it's an experiment of some kind, and not knowing why, I was not into judging his motive.

WAYNO.

When I was YOUNG I preferred Iron sights for hunting in west WA. but as I have aged scopes have become a must have, especially since I can adjust my scope to suit the vision in my diminished eyes, just in case I lose my glasses! Good Scopes can make an image brighter and clearer which is always a good thing. If I had a 3-9X on a pistol caliber carbine it would be set on 3X and left there. Options are always good as long as they do not overwhelm the primary use of the tool in your hands.

If it were me, I also would not scope either gun. Like others have said, I would get rid of the scope and use it to fund a good peep sight. My preferences are for Skinner Sights. Good luck with your decision.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top