JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If the scope rings are mounted forward in the slots, and there is shifting the rings are probably an issue.

Weaver will fit, but working after that is hit or miss. Normally its fine, but sometimes you just get a miss.

Could be an issue with the rail too.

Did you take the scope out of the mounts or just remove then remount and press them forward? If the scope was not removed from the mounts and the mounts individually pressed forward while tightening down it could still be causing shifting as the spacing in the mounts could be off. Where one is pressed forward enough and the other one isn't.

Well, a friend loaned me a set of 'real' Picatinny rail scope rings so I put the scope back on and got BETTER results - but still some inconsistency.
The attached target shows two 5 shot groups I shot this morning. The circled shots are one set of five aiming (rested) on the center of the dot, and the uncircled shots are a 2nd set of five aiming at the bottom of the dot at the top of the black vertical line.
As you can see a fairly tight group of three, then a couple flyers - with similar results on the others.
Both were shot without any scope adjustments as I was just wanting to see group results.
I am going to swap the Leupold with a nearly new Nikon I have and see if anything changes.
img20190728_11272287.jpg

Do yourself a favor and get some seekins rings.
No need to lap and they are rock solid.
ARC and nightforce are also great rings but a little more spendy and not any better than seekins.

Does the scope have an adjustable parallax? Part of this could be parallax as well. If you get behind the scope at 100 yards and slowly move your head up and down and left to right while in the eye box does your reticle stay on the target or move off the target?

I helped my wife's cousin get his gun sighted in for his sheep hunt last year. After he got it dialed in, I got behind the gun and without adjusting the scope at all I was able to move the POI 3.5" at 100 yards.

Could be an issue with the rail itself.
The rail is machined on the receiver with no issues. Very nice machining.
Or something to do with the takedown barrel,
This has become a consideration but I cannot imagine what it could be however I have thought about it and am thinking the reason I can shoot it accurately with the stock sights is because they are both on the barrel and therefore any issue with the barrel (if any) are eliminated due to this.
The barrel locks up very tightly and is in effect 'free floating' because of the takedown aspect and I wouldn't think there would be any issues wit the scope mounted but it IS on the receiver so if there are any barrel issues there is little that can be done.

This has become a consideration but I cannot imagine what it could be however I have thought about it and am thinking the reason I can shoot it accurately with the stock sights is because they are both on the barrel and therefore any issue with the barrel (if any) are eliminated due to this.
The barrel locks up very tightly and is in effect 'free floating' because of the takedown aspect and I wouldn't think there would be any issues wit the scope mounted but it IS on the receiver so if there are any barrel issues there is little that can be done.
Could be anything.

I would opine the problem is not with the mounts or rings. I would first suspect paralax or resting part of the barrel on the fore rest. The fact the scope works fine on a different rifle suggests the other rifle fits you differently causing you to not have a consistent cheek weld from shot to shot. Iron sights don't have paralax, nor do red dots. Just my $.02.

You need to rest the rifle by the magazine well and not on the forend. I can shift 2" at 50 on my 10/22 takedown just by using a bipod.

My PCC doesn't shift as I hold it by the mag, AR style.

I would opine the problem is not with the mounts or rings. I would first suspect paralax or resting part of the barrel on the fore rest. The fact the scope works fine on a different rifle suggests the other rifle fits you differently causing you to not have a consistent cheek weld from shot to shot. Iron sights don't have paralax, nor do red dots. Just my $.02.

Red dots can absolutely have parallax

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads