JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I got to chatting with a guy earlier and while doing so the question of whether a Weaver base will fit on a Picatinny rail came up so I had to go pull the scope off my Handi-Rifle (with Weaver Bases) and try it on my PCC - and it works perfectly! Basically a Picatinny rail is an improvement of the Weaver style in that it has more grooves for better fore and aft adjustment.
So the first pic is the scope off the Handi-Rifle and I got to thinking I might go shoot it to see just how accurate the PCC really is but I thought the scope looks kind of big on it - so then I remembered I had an old Bushnell 40 MM on an old .22 that is really clear and so I swapped it out - looks a little better as it is not so 'bulky'.
I'll still be getting a 1-4X 30MM for the PCC but i might go shoot it with this one jsut to see how accurate the PCC really is!
IMG_1535.JPG
IMG_1536.JPG

Correct. For the most part they are now almost the same based on the 1913 rail as the standard.

I have found variations that do not cross over, as @11Charlie and @Joe13 can attest, a traditional Weaver dosnt always fit a true Mil Spec 1913 rail! :eek:
As i found, a true 1913 is slightly narrower across the face then Weaver, and clamps at an off set angle of the clamping claws with out full engaugement, this can lead to scope shift, especially with heavy optics, and undue stresses on the claws, ( broken clamping screws) amd a very expensive optic taking a headder off the Rifle! Be careful mixing these!

Well regardless I just got back from giving it a try with LESS than stellar results!
Rested the PCC and touched off. OK about 4" high and and about 1.5" to the right.
Made scope corrections and fired again with the round only moving to the left slightly and elevation about the same so I adjusted elevation down to what was a little more than what was DOUBLE according to the 1/4" click @ 100 yard standard.
Next shot elevation good but about 1.5" to the left. Well, long story short but the remaining 20 or so rounds were all over the paper with no consistency. I am going to blame the scope as it is pretty old and did not seem to adjust properly AND I can hold 1.5" with its stock sights at 50 yards.
I am going to slap on a known, good scope and try this again and hopefully get better results or just get a new 1-4X for it.
There is simply no other reason(s) for the inconsistency I experienced.

Well regardless I just got back from giving it a try with LESS than stellar results!
Rested the PCC and touched off. OK about 4" high and and about 1.5" to the right.
Made scope corrections and fired again with the round only moving to the left slightly and elevation about the same so I adjusted elevation down to what was a little more than what was DOUBLE according to the 1/4" click @ 100 yard standard.
Next shot elevation good but about 1.5" to the left. Well, long story short but the remaining 20 or so rounds were all over the paper with no consistency. I am going to blame the scope as it is pretty old and did not seem to adjust properly AND I can hold 1.5" with its stock sights at 50 yards.
I am going to slap on a known, good scope and try this again and hopefully get better results or just get a new 1-4X for it.

Sounds like your mounts are shifting under recoil. I would loosen them, then press them forward towards the end of the barrel as you tighten them down. This will insure the recoil lug is up against the backside of the rail lug and won't move. You might have to loosen the ring caps to properly do this on a 2 piece ring set.

Well, more poor results.
I swapped the scope on the PCC with a Leupold and shifted the mounts forward as recommended to try it again and got similar results. After zeroing the scope I had a couple 'reasonable' shots and then no consistency and shots all over the paper - and this is well rested on a bench.
Ok so I pick up my Henry BBB .357 and, after having to re-zero it due to a front sight swap I shoot the attached six shot group at 50 yards with 'open irons' (Receiver peep W/blade front) .
I don't get it. I have NEVER had this much of a problem shooting a rifle with a scope - the wild card is I shoot the PCC very well with the stock sights - even getting a couple 1.5" rested groups at 50 yards.
Any thoughts or ideas as to a reason for this ?
I am very reluctant to buy a new 1-4 X scope for it now - which is what I really want to do.

IMG_1540.JPG

Somehow I believe Leupold scope fits in this category more times than not. In my personal experience. I won't use them anymore.. Please correct me if I'm wrong..

Please correct me if I'm wrong..
Well, in this case the Leupold I was using was recently on a .223 rifle and shooting cloverleaf groups.

Since this happened with two scopes I can't help but think it COULD be the scope mounts shifting as suggested. Hard to accept as the mounts seem to fit well on the rail but I guess it is possible.

My personal experience is picatinny scope rings don't properly tighten down to a weaver base. Example: Attaching a set of Warne Maxima's to a 10/22 weaver base seemed to BARELY snug up and then rounds were all over the map.

I wouldn't bother going with a 30mm tube on a PCC.
Well, a scope is my only option - unless I move forward and custom make a dovetailed front sight mount and a flat base for the rail I can drill and tap to mount a Williams receiver sight.

Weight is not a consideration - especially with a small, 30 mm scope.

In my case I mounted Weaver rings to the Picatinny rail and they seemed to fit well. They fit the grooves snugly and tightened up with no problems.

Yeah man, I was just pointing out the general discrepancies between mounts. I totally understand what you were doing.

Maybe you're just a really bad shot? :p

J/K

Keep us informed of any updates, I for one am interested in the outcome. :)

Maybe you're just a really bad shot?
Did you notice the six shot group shot minutes later with 'open irons' on my Henry .357?
AND I can hold 1.5" + groups with the PCC with its stock sights.
I am beginning to agree with the scope mounts shifting as the problem.

Did you notice the six shot group shot minutes later with 'open irons' on my Henry .357?
AND I can hold 1.5" + groups with the PCC with its stock sights.
I am beginning to agree with the scope mounts shifting as the problem.

It was a joke. Sorry.....

LOL - I KNEW that - I was just still on a serious side with this!

Roger that! And yes, I agree with you that the mounts are awfully suspicious here. Having dealt with it before, I know how frustrating it can be to "chase" shots all over the paper. :confused:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top