JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll be honest, I've never had to buy a scope for myself, but I am wanting to get a new rifle for deer/elk/possible moose hunting and am thinking 30-06 or 300WM, I'm trying to keep my costs down, but also want a good scope. I'm thinking around $200 max, maybe up to $250 if the quality SIGNIFICANTLY beats what I can get at $200. Suggestions? Links always helpful.

The Burris Fullfield II 3-9x scope is hard to beat and will cost you right at $200. Burris often packages other items with this scope to make it even a better deal. This can be a spotting scope or a small GPS or binos or a rimfire scope; depending on the package. I have one on a .30-06 and it is holding up fine from the recoil, and the glass is very clear.

You can find other really good deals if you are patient. I picked up a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x scope one time for $150 on closeout. Bi-Mart used to sell Sightron II scopes for way below what they should cost but not sure they carry that brand any more. I got one a couple years ago for $159, and most places were selling them for $250ish.

nikon prostaff series are hard to beat for the money.

if you hunt during dawn or dusk, you will be disappointed with cheap scopes. because they have bad light gathering capabilities, so most of them time you will not able to see the cross hair.

What will be the difference between a 3-9x40, 3-9x50, and a 4-12x40? Obviously, besides cost, and if I remember my science courses, the 50 will have a higher magnification at each power over a 40, and I'm assuming the 3-9 and 4-12 are different ranges of powers, is there advantage to one over the other? Disadvantages? I'm expecting to be making shots between 100-400 yards in a firing situation, most likely to be around 200 yards. That comes from my experience when I hunted in Colorado.

I'm liking the looks of both of your suggestions from what I'm reading from reviews on Cabela's, and I definitely like the looks and function of the Nikon BDC reticle and the Burris Ballistic Plex. I know I need to get in and actually look through them though to find which I'd be more comfortable looking through, but I wanna know what kinds of things I want to be looking at before committing to a purchase. The last thing I want is a clear shot on a big bull that I can't see through the sights.

Actually, the difference between the 40 and 50 is the field of view. The 50 will be wider than the 40 giving you a wider field of view, making it easier to find your target through the scope.

3-9 vs 4-12? I choose the latter. Having those extra three levels of magnification at long range is a nice advantage.

The scopes suggested are excellent. I might suggest looking into Redfield as well, their quality has really come up the last few years. My scope is a Pentax gameseeker 4-12x40, and I love it. Every year the guys in camp look through it and compare with their Nikons and leupolds, and can't see a difference. Of course I know the difference is I only paid about a hundred bucks for mine. Shoot 3/4 groups with it every year when I sight in.

All really good suggestions.

I have had perhaps 35 scopes and 25 pair of binoculars and a dozen spotting scopes.
From all over the world, multiple manufacturers and costing from $50-$1500+ (More often than not on the higher side)

Your budget puts you into a risky class of optics as far as reliable quality.
If you are planning on shooting over 700 yards at any given point in time with that scope ... it is even more unlikely to find quality within your budget.

If your doing that long of a range I suggest 4.5-14 x 40/42/44 with a 30mm tube for max light transmission.
Opticsplanet runs coupons for $5 off ... usually offers the bests prices and free shipping.

You will be exceptionally tough pressed to get the 30mm tube with clear optics in your range with that magnification; however with that said ... here are two cheap scopes I recommend.

Leapers UTG 1in 4-16x40mm Full Size AO Mil-dot RGB Zero Locking Resetting Riflescope SCP-U4164AORGW FREE S&H SCP-U4164AORGW. Leapers UTG Rifle Scopes, Leapers Rifle Scopes.

Very very favorable reviews ... I now have 2 of them ... with the features and what you get they are a real bargain. Glass is decent ... but not quite up to Burris.

Here is another: Mueller Optics 4.5-14x40mm AO APV Rifle Scope FREE S&H MAPV451440S, MAPV451440. Mueller Optics Rifle Scopes.

For cheapo scopes ... they are both fantastic.

If you are on a budget, you might consider one of the Nitrex scopes on sale at natchezss.com. The TR-1 is supposed to be comparable to the Weaver Grand Slam, and is made in Japan, and Weaver backs the warranty. I don't think it can be beat for $99.95 for gloss, or $119.95 for the matte finish.
Nitrex TR One 3-9x42mm Rifle Scope Gloss Finish TrexPlex Reticle - Natchez Shooters Supplies
<broken link removed>
That is the direction I would go, if my budget so dictated.

I prefer accuracy over sheer brute force..... I'd rather go for a fine rifle and settle on whatever scope I can afford to stick on top of it
A fine rifle with a scope that won't hold zero may or may not be accurate, you may not know for sure until you use a scope of decent quality. That doesn't mean you need to spend a fortune. I have been quite pleased with a couple of Intensity 6.5-20x44 scopes I got from Natchez Shooters Supply on closeout. They have been mounted on .17HMR, .22lr, .223 and .243 rifles and have performed great. The Nitrex is reputed to be of even higher quality. I really don't think you can get a better quality scope for anywhere near what Natchez is asking for the Nitrex TR-1. I am going to order one myself, just to see how good they are. Am anxious to compare it to the Burris Fullfield II's and Redfield Revolutions that I have.
I am sure there are better scopes available, but not within $50 of the price of these Nitrex models. Just have to decide if the matte finish is worth the extra $20.
I will compare it also to my new Zeiss Conquest and Leupold VX-2. I don't expect it to be as good, but I might be surprised how close it comes if indeed it is a rebadged Weaver Grand Slam.

Reticle. I wish I'd given this aspect more consideration before purchasing my first scopes. Thought about the Bushnell ET 10x42? Been a while since I read the previous posts carefully, so maybe a fixed magnification optic isn't something you'd want. Regardless, it has a mil-dot reticle which offers considerably more information r.e. ranging than plain-Jane duplex or fine duplex and also allows you to compensate consistently for holdover and -under, not to mention windage.

My little .17 shoots about two inches to the right with 17 grain ballistic tip, but is dead on with 20 grain OT. I have a Weaver K6 Classic fixed 6x with a duplex reticle on this rifle. Great scope, but not easy to adjust, and because there is, realistically, just one place to aim with this reticle, the best I can hope for with the 17 grain ammo is an educated guess.

Tactical/target turrets are real handy, too. If no one is willing to pay my (admittedly somewhat outrageous) price for my Stag, I'm gonna get one of those Bushnell 10x scopes for it. I've see them for as little as $200 on the web.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top