JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Please help. Looking for a not too exspensive scope for bench rest 22 LR. I just ordered a CZ 517 heavy barrel rifle. I'm thinking around
a variable 6 to 24 power?? What is working for you guys?:rolleyes: Thanks for the input.
1604107370705.png

I have three really nice .22 rifles. They all wear the same glass as my big game rifles. I refer to them as my "free throw" rifles. I shoot them often so when I'm on the line, down by 1, shooting 2, with the championship on the line, I'll drain them both.

So put the same glass on them as you have on your hunting rifle.

P

how far ya shootin ???

Usually 50 yard matches. Sometimes out to 100 yards.
I have three really nice .22 rifles. They all wear the same glass as my big game rifles. I refer to them as my "free throw" rifles. I shoot them often so when I'm on the line, down by 1, shooting 2, with the championship on the line, I'll drain them both.

So put the same glass on them as you have on your hunting rifle.

P

Ok what scope are you running?

I have a Weaver V24 on my CZ 455 Varmint. It gets a bit dim when turned up beyond 20X, but works well and wasn't too expensive (as far as scopes run). I also have a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20 on my Kimber K-22. A nice setup as well but more $ than the Weaver and I don't think Leupold makes this model anymore. I also have a few older fixed power Leupold target scopes (24X and 36X) on some other 22 rifles for shooting off a bench. No need for a spotting scope at 50 yards with those!

If you are shooting benchrest,, I would consider the reticle and magnification you want relative to how you are going to be shooting and the target, and also fixed vs. variable. I wouldn't try shooting offhand with my 36x Leupolds, and the fine crosshair reticle on one or two of them is harder to see/find quickly depending on what type of target you are shooting at. However, if you are trying to get small and precise groups, a thicker crosshair and lower magnification makes it more difficult for me. I would also strongly consider including an AO feature on the scope you select to help focusing and adjusting parallax at various distances.

Good quality, variable power target scopes are generally not inexpensive ( more than the cost of the CZ 457). There are some pretty good fixed power scopes (if you are solely shooting off a bench) that are less $. A Weaver or Sightron 24X and 36X can be had for what I consider reasonable for the quality.