JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new and just joined here and I hope someone can help me.
I have my dad's old Westernfield 771a and I'm wanting to upgrade the scope. I need to have raised rings to clear. The existing bases and rings look like Weaver but they aren't the right size. I contacted Weaver, or RCBS and they said that they were made for a scope ring combo for that rifle only. The rifle was made by Hyme in Germany. Nothing else will fit. Has anyone come across this? Should I just have the rifle drilled and put different base on it?
Thanks for any info.

The existing bases and rings look like Weaver but they aren't the right size.
Welcome to NWFA.

Weaver would have no reason to make rings specific to one rifle. They make bases to fit the rifle on the bottom and standard rings on top.

Rings are available from many companies, in many heights and diameters, to fit Weaver bases.

A good photos of both bases and rings would help. Take the bases off and look for a name or number somewhere on them.

Some sources say it is the same basic rifle as the Mauser 3000. Weaver says the bases for the Mauser 3000 are 68 rear and 46 front.

Here are some photos with Weaver bases.

Bruce

Last Edited:
Welcome to NWFA.

Weaver would have no reason to make rings specific to one rifle. They make bases to fit the rifle on the bottom and standard rings on top.

Rings are available from many companies, in many heights and diameters, to fit Weaver bases.

A good photos of both bases and rings would help. Take the bases off and look for a name or number somewhere on them.

Some sources say it is the same basic rifle as the Mauser 3000. Weaver says the bases for the Mauser 3000 are 68 rear and 46 front.

Here are some photos with Weaver bases.

Bruce
Thanks for the info but unfortunately those bases won't work. The bases are off and no numbers. I've been through every base that Weaver has on their site and can't find the hole spacing and length and diameter to match. But I did find on the rings they say Realist I assumed that that was a series name turned out that it's a manufacturer. So now I assume that the base are the same manufacturer. They look just like Weaver except they are to narrow and the rings won't tighten down.

1. I would try a thin aluminum shim cut from a soft drink/beer can, wrapped around the base, then try a Weaver ring. This metal is easy to trim with scissors to a neat fit.

2. Post the measurements you have. Diameter, height, and hole spacing is important but length can vary. Height can be adjusted by shims or filing, too.

Bruce

If that is similar to your gun, this appears to be a relatively common (but very high quality) commercial Mauser action.

Mounts for an "FN 98" (Fabrique Nationale: Belgian maker of commercial Mauser actions) might fit nicely.

Your gun deserves better rings and mounts than Weaver. (Though they have never failed me.)

I went through a quandary not long ago with a commercial Mauser action that had unusual hole spacing. There is a frequent phrase regarding such puzzles:

"When in doubt, call Talley". The Talley firm spent time with me and solved my quandary (I did NOT want to put another hole in that gun)!

I wont profess to know the answer to all this, but I will share some base numbers from close-but-not-exact Western Field rifles. This is from a Weaver Ring chart of 40+ years ago.

P1000063 (2).JPG

You may have to make a "receiver cast" in order to determine the radius/contour of the receiver and hole spacing. If it is a round top, I believe there are blank bases which could be matched and drilled.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top