JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Quick note on Leupold. They're made in beaverton up by 26. Very local.

I have a vx3 6-20. Had it for 25 or so years. It went through a divorce an 10+ years of storage in a non climate controlled storage unit. It was a mess and so blurry all the critters looked like they were soft focus for a wedding.

Took it in to the corp lobby. The receptionist called one of the techs, they ALL shoot...

He took one look and said we'll fix this. Come back in two weeks.

It is perfect as the day I bought it. All the outsides are dinged like I took it in, but everything is perfect.

All free. I couldn't ever get a non Leupold scope now unless it were some SCREAMING deal

Can't say enough about Leupold.

Quick note on Leupold. They're made in beaverton up by 26. Very local.

I have a vx3 6-20. Had it for 25 or so years. It went through a divorce an 10+ years of storage in a non climate controlled storage unit. It was a mess and so blurry all the critters looked like they were soft focus for a wedding.

Took it in to the corp lobby. The receptionist called one of the techs, they ALL shoot...

He took one look and said we'll fix this. Come back in two weeks.

It is perfect as the day I bought it. All the outsides are dinged like I took it in, but everything is perfect.

All free. I couldn't ever get a non Leupold scope now unless it were some SCREAMING deal

Can't say enough about Leupold.

From all I've heard about them, I'm convinced they will be where I will invest in the future. It's a huge bonus that they're local.

Cockoo's mount doesn't belong in the same sentence with Bobro and unlike his mount a Bobro can be trusted to RTZ.

<broken link removed> will be putting out a new scope mount that is also guaranteed to RTZ, expect a heavy price tag. I'll be picking one up for my .260 precision build.
Geissele Scope Mount Preview
Geissele's New Super Precision Optics Mount
Quiet DoD Geissele Project Revealed – Super Precision Mount

I've always kind of wondered how folks in the military do it. I've seen it in movies, where they are swapping optics, or just mounting and dismounting, then going in to take the shot. I don't know how realistic that is, or how often it happens, but it definitely had me wondering how they could mount a scope or make a scope change with confidence that it did RTZ.

I have quick disconnect rings on my hunting rifle, with a picatiny rail, to make my iron sights available quickly if the need should arise.

I have taken the scope off and put it back on a few times to test it. It is never back "dead on" but under 200 yards it would still take a buck without re sighting it in.

I've always kind of wondered how folks in the military do it. I've seen it in movies, where they are swapping optics, or just mounting and dismounting, then going in to take the shot. I don't know how realistic that is, or how often it happens, but it definitely had me wondering how they could mount a scope or make a scope change with confidence that it did RTZ.

In movies, not realistic. In real life it can be realistic. Not everyone uses a QD mount in the military. As for confidence in RTZ, a quality QD scope will maintain same torque, all you need to do is put it back in the exact same spot. A hand-tightened scope mount, not so much.

Assuming that you don't switch the scope between two rifles that is.

I've been getting emails from Aero Precision lately with their AR scope mounts on sale. Since no one has mentioned them, anyone have any thoughts on their mounts?

Nothing worse than having a $300+ AR billet upper, and the machined picatinny rail is chewed up by a cheap QD mount...:eek:

I will add in my profession I get to try allot of mounts, and I mean everything..
Out of all the QD mounts out there I really like the American Defense brand mounts. They are reasonably priced and they hold zero really well. I can take the mount and scope off one FN FAL and mount it on another.. Count my clicks to rezero on new rifle..
Shot it!
Take it off and remount it on the original rifle and move the turrets back, and I've had it be within .500 of an inch at 100 meters more than a dozen times!!
That's pretty darn good for a $175 QD mount.

Last Edited:
The other problems with LaRue is they chew rails up after repeated remove and installs
Only issues I've seen were marks. Never seen a chewed up rail, but then again I also don't know anyone who takes the scope off constantly. Not that it matters, I don't care for LaRue or Bobro anyways. And yes, its still a "people like what they like." Quality doesn't matter if people just don't like it.

I'll take a step further, mounts in general do not return to zero. LaRue only does so very marginally.

Like I said, don't know anyone who takes their scopes off constantly.

by a cheap QD mount...:eek:

At $210, I don't think that's cheap anymore. For a scope mount that is.

Honestly, I only use QD mounts so I don't have to keep tightening a screw or use loctite. I only use iron sights on my Colt upper. The rest just have iron sights in case.

I know a few, one being myself. I keep a T-1 on my AR because I like the light weight and fast close up use, but sometime I want too use a 1-6x. Bobro mounts make it a snap.

Fair point. Most of my scopes are a set and forget type of deal. Dedicated uppers (soon rifles once I start getting lowers), so no switching optics for me. So to me, RTZ isn't that necessary.

Which is all the more reason it shouldn't be chewing up rails.

Meh, if its a set and forget type deal it won't chew up the rail.

I prefer ADM, but to each their own.

I don't waste any money on cheap import scopes anymore!

Leupold
Night Force
Burris
RedField (made by Leupold)
Vortex
Oooppppsss:D
You actually DO buy "import" scopes, but typically not "cheap"
With the exception of the brand new AMG Vortex, ALL of those are predominantly import parts, assembled in the USA.

So don't get hung-up on the little bits, what does the company spec for components? That's the important question. There aren't a lot of folks who do tell you the shock rating on their scopes. Some who do, such as Bushnell's Tac line, state 1,000G 1,000 times. Same as the Primary Arms.

Once you have a list of optics you like that match your needs, I advise looking through them all and then stepping back for a day or two and then look again. Many of us have eye sight thats less then perfect and while a Nikon or Barska looks good to some one else, it may not be right to you! My self, I would love to own a Leupold but they don't agree with my eyes. Like wise Nikon do not, but Redfield my eyes like better! When I was shopping for a high end optic I really wanted a U.S. Optics and I was really about a click away from buying one, I am glad I didn't having had a chance to look through several, I found they just didn't look right to me! I ended up with a Nightforce NXS light seeker!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top