JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently purchases a .223 and now I need to purchase a scope for it. I want to spend less then $400 so I would like some recomendations. How do you use the windage adjustment and elevation adjustments. With my deerrifle and use a 3x9x50 Leopold. I like the quality but not sure that I want leopold or nikon or??? Please help..
tlakidd

I think the Nikon marque offer the best value for the dollar spent. Three or more "lines", increasing in price as they go up, adding features. I tend toward the Buckmaster line, several ranges of zoom and objective diameter. Range in price from about $150 to maybe $400 in that line. Their Monarch are more dear, but I generally don't pay the extra new.... hard put to see the difference, and I've got a picky eye. When I come across them used, if they're near perfect I'll usually buy it.

One thing to keep in mind... the diameter of the objective (front) lens is what largely determines how bright the scope will appear. There is a large difference in brightness between 30 and 40 or 42 mm diameter. However, from 40 to 50, the increase is marginal, yet the price increase is significant. Unless yhou'll be using it in extreme low light conditions, save the money and weight and stick with the 40 diameter. 3-9 x 40 is a great all round unit, and their Buckmaster lineup prices this one just over two hundred.... I've not seen sharper or more clear optics until you start spending three or more times that. And even then, something else might be sharper, but how much, and what is the REAL advantage for three, four, times the money? I don't see it. Nikon optics are amongst the best in the world, and have been for a long time. Their experience in photographic and video optics enables them to develop and produce better quality optics for less money than anything else I've looked at. Their production facilities are state of the art of optics, I believe they also formulate and process all their own glass in house.More savings, and total quality control from start to out the door.

Another vote for the Nikon, I use the 3-12 Monarch, just got another for christmas and am waiting for the Larue mount to arrive next week to get it attached to the AR.

Check Philoamth Gun Shop for their scope prices before you buy, they beat the big internet sellers.

I use the varmit dot for elavtion. i sight my 223 for 100 yards close shot i put it on the belly long shots i put the dot on there head. this works great for me. when im cose i use 6 power and lnong 16 to 20 power my favorite is the luepold target dot

You could follow the same built info my dad tought me. Build the best weapon you afford to build. Beacause any weapon built to hunt 2-legged animals can hunt anything. I know some people have trouble spending more money on optics then they spend on thier weapon but sometimes theres no substitute for quality. Im saving up for a Nightforce 8-32 x 56 NXS w/ mil-dot reticle.

I like the Burris 4.5X14 42 30MM Ball-M-Dot I have. it works good at close in and 14X reaches out as far as I need.
I like to compare and actually lay out AT real distance the FOV in feet.
Good Luck

I just mounted a Vortex 6-24x50 on a Savage 93 17 HMR. Nice and clear. A lot of scope but I have old tired eyes. $130 at the Gun Show. Vortex has a lifetime 100% guarantee, no questions.

I have a chitload of scopes from the low end Bushnel/Simons/Tasco to the high end of the same. Leupold makes excellent scopes but good luck finding a goodvarmint in that brand for $400. A Bausch and Lomb (now Bushnell) 3200 or 4200 are excellent scopes. Milldot reticle reduces/eliminates manual range adjustment. If you can find a tasco tactical, very good for the bucks. All in $300-450 range, or less used.

The B/L are my favorites in 6-24X. Rats don't stand a chance with good loads when you do your part.

I second the vote for the nightforce. The mil dot reticle is a thing of great beauty and I shot a ground squirrel at 550 yds with the 308 savage 10 fphsp using the 51/2-20x56 nightforce. Very high dollar compared to the others but when you need your money back you can re sell it for a marginal loss. Try that with a nikon or cheaper models of leupold.

I would'nt get anything above 14 power. Thats really as high as you need to go IMO. Mirage gets too bad. I have a 6.5 - 20 Leupold on my .223. After a few shots, the heat coming off the barrel makes a blurry sight picture. My Gun does anyway.

My favorite sage rat rifle is my Anschutz 1517 with a Leupold VXL Long Range 4-14. It has the B&C reticle, which I could care less about. I found this scope on Craigslist for about $650 if I recall correctly. A bit higher than your budget stated above.

From a bench, a higher power is fine. A buddy of mine shoots his 204 ruger using a Nightforce long range scope. It's a great setup, but expensive. I have a CZ in 204 ruger with a Leupold 6-18, which works pretty well on sage rats. That's closer to your stated price range, probably about $300 at Cabelas bargain basement in Lacy.

I own a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-12 on my 308 rifle (not for sage rats), and it seems OK. Price was in the $100-200 range used.

I own a Falcon Menace 4-14 mil/mil on another 308 I built (not for sage rats), and it's OK for the price. However, I would say that the Leupold appears much more clear at distance. Price was I think just over $300 new with a group by on Calguns.

For my money, I would go with the best name brand you can buy for your budget, considering magnification you want. Leupold, Nightforce high up the list, and others as a compromise for budget. I think you could get a decent Leupold used here on the boards or on Craigslist for your budget. The bonus with Leupold is that if anything is ever wrong, go drop it off at their factory and it will be repaired for you at no cost.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top