JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here is my dilemma. I recently acquired a new firearm, a Savage Model 12 FVXP in 22-250 and I have a ground squirrel trip coming up. I am looking to fire my the model 12 out to 100 to 600 yards. I want a scope with turrets (can be the type you pull the cap off of but can not require tools like the leupold type on the vx 1 series) but I don't care about mil dots or any of those other things because I know how to calculate my clicks for yardage with a ballistic chart and I will have a range finder available to me so those types of bells and whistles don't really do anything for me. Ideally I would like to pay 250 or less for the scope. The scope will need to have a good amount of MOA adjustment. Around 50 to 60.

I always vote for leupold model with the gold ring for a lifetime warranty and the quality.

Probably going to be another $100 on top of what you want to spend though unless you find one used or on sale.

For rifles Im not hunting with, Bushnell Trophy series is cheaper and seems to handle just about anything I put it on.

Might give the new REDFIELDS a look. They have a nice 4x12x44 that has good glass and is made by Leupold. Also may give Millett a look. Quite a bit of power and nice glass with out the high end cost, In my experience, these scopes are very under appreciated. Finally, a Barska might just do the trick. Awesome glass made by Zeiss under contract and a very good value for the money!

There is a company called Kenton Industries that makes laser engraved turret caps for different manufacturers of scopes (Basically the CDS offered by leupold.) and they do have them for the redfield and they also have one for the vortex diamondback

One of the other scopes that caught my eye was the Vortex Crossfire 2 in 4-12x44. Any thoughts on this scope? It is the one I am leaning toward most. It has the capped turrets which I can make do with until I have a spare $60 (For custom caps from Kenton) and my hand loads figured out for the 22-250. I will be using leupold standard 1" rings and the standard once piece base for the scope base and rings. I shouldn't have any clearance issues.

If your distance is going to be out to 600yds........you will need more than a 12x magnification, esp. for small critters. A scope with 24x and clear glass without distortion is about right as with a variable you can dial it down (usually to 6x) if you get close....
remember a clear sight trumps magnification, BUT it is nice to have both.
Leupold does make a fine product with a great warranty.

One of the other scopes that caught my eye was the Vortex Crossfire 2 in 4-12x44. Any thoughts on this scope? It is the one I am leaning toward most. It has the capped turrets which I can make do with until I have a spare $60 (For custom caps from Kenton) and my hand loads figured out for the 22-250. I will be using leupold standard 1" rings and the standard once piece base for the scope base and rings. I shouldn't have any clearance issues.

i would stay far away from the crossfire line. Anything short of their razor line is junk IMO.

I would go with a Leupold with CDS dials personally.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top