1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Scope question?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by lowly monk, Aug 17, 2011.

1. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

I have a Tasco, 3x-9x32 Tasco scope. It says "Opti centered zoom, Nitrogen filled, Fully coated". Is any good and for what range? I got it off the 30/06 my dad left me.
    Thank you.
  2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

nforest and (deleted member) like this.
  3. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

Does it say: "Made in Japan"? Older ones were, and were pretty good inexpensive scopes, too.
  4. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Tasco scopes are like Forest Gump's "box of chocolates". You never know what you're going to get.

Some are OK to Good and some are not worth mentioning.

If your dad had it on a 30-06, shot the rifle a few times, and the scope still works, it's probably an OK scope. Only way to tell is to use it. First zero it, then change magnification. Shoot again and see if point of impact remains the same.

Then adjust elevation up an inch or so, shoot, then bring it back to the beginning and see if the group returns to the same place. Likewise for windage. If it "can't find its way home" just sell it at a garage sale.
    lowly monk and (deleted member) like this.
  5. jskirk00

jskirk00 Portland Cedar Mill, Oregon, United States New Member

I have had a 30-06 Springfield with the same tasco for years. I have killed several elk with this combo. I had no problems. I would spend some time shotting it and if it works for you use it.
    lowly monk and (deleted member) like this.
  6. best defense

best defense Beaverton, OR Active Member

The older Tasco scopes were not too bad, but from what I've seen the new ones are all made in China, and they don't look too good. The guarentee you get with them even reads like some Chineese person who took the translation out of a book does not look right.
    From now on, I am going to save my money and buy either American or European scopes. I know they cost two or three times as much, but I just don't like the look of the Chineese scopes, and there are a lot of American name scopes that are now made in China, so read the fine print.