Scope quest

Discussion in 'Scopes & Optics' started by kiester, Jun 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kiester

kiester
    Near Salem Oregon

That convinced me to take another look, I like the reticle options.

2. P7id10T

P7id10T
    Dysfunction
    Turlututu chapeau pointu Gold Supporter 2018 Volunteer

If you can't find one locally to check out, I'll be down in Salem June 16.

kiester likes this.
  3. ConcernedCitizen

ConcernedCitizen
    Tigard/Tualatin
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

Have you considered Primary Arms?

It's not American-made, but it is an American company. Very similar to the Vortex Strike Eagle, but better BDC reticles. They even have a "Predator" reticle designed for hunting.

Not sure if the light transmission or weight meet your criteria, though.

kiester likes this.
  4. kiester

kiester
    Near Salem Oregon

I have considered them, I presume they are on par with the strike eagle. Great for the $ no doubt, and good warranty..but yep 24mm I did try a primary arms advanced red dot and 6x magnifier. Worked well on coyotes, I just didn't like the magnifier weight plus extra mount and low light performance. I think I want to stay away from 24mm but a sig sauer in 24 was recommended also. I think I need more ar's, that might be my real problem.

5. Argonaut

Argonaut
    Weiser

The Germans did extensive testing on light transmission and the human eye’s ability to use it prior to WW2. They proved that a 56mm objective gathered the most light that the eye can utilize. My brightest scopes (designed and built by germans for use at night) are 6X56 with a 30mm tube. My 3-12X56 30mm tube variable is not far behind. We don’t often need that kind of light gathering ability here in North America because generally, night hunting is illegal.

Dungannon and kiester like this.
  6. ConcernedCitizen

ConcernedCitizen
    Tigard/Tualatin
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

I really like their newer 1-8x24 ACSS for the additional magnification, and you might also look at their new Raptor FFP scopes. I believe the glass is supposed to be better than previous versions.

They do have a 3-18x due out later this summer, but it might be too heavy for your needs.

kiester likes this.
  7. American123

American123
    Federal Way
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Trijicon 2.5x10x56 30mm tube, massive light transmission and clarity. You can get it in mil dot, then get to know your mil dot, it’s just a BDC for any gun and any caliber if you do a little homework. ;)

8. American123

American123
    Federal Way
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I should also add that the Trijicon was on sale at Dvor for less than $600,

That 56mm objective is massive lol, I’m still trying to figure out what size butler creek cover will work for it, I’ve ordered and returned 3 that have claimed to.

9. titsonritz

titsonritz
    Oregon City
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I wouldn't even begin to make a suggestion without knowing your budget, but I am curious why would you limit yourself to an "American made" scope? Most components are not made in the US regardless of manufacturer and you seriously limiting your options on some great glass.

kiester likes this.
  10. Argonaut

Argonaut
    Weiser

I can appreciate his American only exclusion. I don’t care for oriental products. We have 2 great American scope builders right here in the northwest that grind most of there own glass. Leupold and Nightforce. Both make world class products but can be expensive like any quality product. Leupold makes several European spec scopes (aimed at the European market) that can be bought here as well as most of the American military sniper scopes. Nightforce (in Orofino Idaho) is an incredible company that I believe would build most anything you want. Leupold really perfected the ability to seal scope tubes to the optics in the early years. There were other good American scopes but if you left your rifle leaned against a tree while hunting, there was a good chance it would fog before you needed to use it. And the Leupold warranty in unequaled.

kiester likes this.
  11. kiester

kiester
    Near Salem Oregon

$1200 max, wouldn't mind spending less. "American made or the equivalent" equivalent rating is up to you and your knowledge of experience.

Thanks!

12. kiester

kiester
    Near Salem Oregon

Knowledge or experience :confused:

13. kiester

kiester
    Near Salem Oregon

Dvor has some decent sales on still.

14. Twodogs

Twodogs
    portland Or

Meopta would be my first choice great glass and they make the scope you want, second pick would be Steiner great glass and built like a tank.
    I've got a Nikon monarch gold 1.5x6x42 that is my favorite coyote hunting scope sadly there not made anymore.

kiester likes this.
  15. kiester

kiester
    Near Salem Oregon

Thanks, I look them up

16. kiester

kiester
    Near Salem Oregon

I found the meopta, I like so far

17. WildBills-AR

WildBills-AR
    West of U

Look to some Trijicons, I love mine and got a really good deal from Amazon.

18. kiester

kiester
    Near Salem Oregon

Scope purchased, thanks all.

19. Twodogs

Twodogs
    portland Or

Which one?

20. kiester

kiester
    Near Salem Oregon

Nikon 1.5-6x42 m-300 bdc illuminated dot. The bdc is easily usable for any caliber with the nikon software. Just punch in the ballistics or factory ammo and it shows impact points for the reticle. Reviews for the glass are very good. It also is custom cap ready for 99.00 a piece. I got it for 499.00 from natchez. On paper it's a little on the heavy side but it checked alot of boxes. It is made in the Philippines I believe but has lifetime warranty. I am building a truck ar mostly stock pieces from other ar's as I upgrade. So if it falls short it may end up on that. But the glass reviews and software, apps and wind wizard thingy won me over. Oh and the price.