JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a few $$$ saved up and been thinking about some scope swapping and buying.

Right now I have an IOR 4-14x50 on my Target AR and very happy with it. I have the exact same scope on my NM M1A but rarely shoot it. I have a Remington 700p LTR with threaded barrel in .308, that I have had for many years. I only have about 150rds though it and have been thinking about shooting it more. Right now I have an inexpensive scope on it and thinking about moving the IOR from the M1A onto it.

I also have an Armalite AR-30 in .300 WM that I have had for a few years an also hardly shot. I wanted to use this with one of my silencers but was never able to get a good adapter for it so had been researching my options. I think I finally found an adapter that will work with this gun and ordered one. If it works it is time for a good scope. I will mostly just be "bench"/target shooting with it. This gun is too big and bulky to hunt with. I am looking at using it at 500 yards or more, as I have many guns for shorter ranges. I will be buying another IOR for this gun but I am not sure what power to get.

With my 4-14x50 I run almost exclusively at 10x which works good for so many reasons. The other I am looking at is a 6-24x50 which I see often suggested. I am planning on target shooting and maybe some varmint type shooting also. Any thoughts on either of these powers from people that do long range shooting?

You can get more scope with less adjustment ,no?
Why not find a nice 10X for it?
looks like the have some 35mm tubes for lots of adjustment or a 56mm objective for plenty of light.
How about this since it aint my money?
Valdada IOR Terminator Multi-BDC Rifle Scope 40mm Tube 12-52x 56mm

If I was just going with 10x then I would probably go with the 4-14 just because it is nice to have the bit of extra zoom or extra wide if needed.

I was thinking the 6-24 since in theory I can still use my Mil-dots at 2x with some simple math, but maybe I am wrong. That is kinda why I was asking the guys that shooter longer ranges if the higher power scopes are actually useful.

That is a monster of a scope.

My experience with the 6X24's is that I rarely use the higher mags. From the few times that I remember using 20 to 24 power settings it just meant that a rodent was identified/shot at a longer range than usual. That's not really much of a trade off for a couple of hundred extra dollars.

Have you checked out the Leupold VX-6 3-18 or 4-24? The glass is really amazing. Comes with CDS dials as well and at a very fair price for what you get.

Not sure why I would choose a lesser glass but that is an option. I don't feel Leupold are bad glass, but I have never been a fan. When you get into their higher end stuff the price is in line with high end glass. The problem with 18x is it does not do anything easy with math for hold over compared to 10x (what most mill dots are set up to work at).

One of the things I really like, besides the quality, is the standard MP-8 Dot reticle,

MP-8Dot.jpg

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
You can always dial a high power scope down. No such option going the other way.

For 100/200 yard target shooting I like my 8-32x Sightron III scopes the best. 90% of the time they are on 32x. I have a couple 5-20x Nikon Monarchs and find them lacking even at full power while target shooting. My next scope will be a 12-42x or even a 15-55x. Have to aim small to shoot small.

Sage rat hunting is a little different. 10-20x is usually what I run my scopes at. Having side focus on those scopes are a huge plus.

The 6-24 IOR tacticle is calibrated for 24x. Why not spend the little extra and get FFP?

He's already used to using second focal plane scopes. Might as well stick with what he's used to. Also, he doesn't have to deal with the reticle being too thick on full power and too small on low power. And it saves money to go sfp.

I had considered a FFP scope. I do understand how they work and the reason. As honda stated I already have a couple of similar scopes that I am familiar with and so would like to stick with the same.

I did look up the specs on the 6-24 and they show;
RETICULE MEASUREMENTS:
1 MOA PER SPACE @ 21.5X POWER
1 MIL AND 1/2 MIL PER SPACE @ 12X POWER
1/2 MIL AND 1/4 MIL PER SPACE @ 24X POWER

He's already used to using second focal plane scopes. Might as well stick with what he's used to. Also, he doesn't have to deal with the reticle being too thick on full power and too small on low power. And it saves money to go sfp.

You are preaching to the quire as far as price. I have been buying higher quality SFP scopes instead of lower quality FFP because I really don't think I need FFP. I am shooting at known distances all the time and if I do need to use the reticle, I don't have a problem turning my scope to max power. However, I can't imagine that I would need any kind of familiarizing process to use a FFP scope. If the reticle was to thick at max power, I would assume I bought the wrong scope.

Seems like FFP would be a perfect fit for what Nwcid is asking for. :s0092:

Nice video. The scope I am getting will be another IOR. Sticking with a solid brand that I am use to and has a reticle that is amazing.

As I did state in my in OP I have no plans on hunting with it as the set up would be to bulky/heavy to be practical.

The point of a 10X is that a fixed power scope is inherently clearer than an adjustable scope since it has fewer lenses. If you know anyone with one, ask to look through it at the range. Take a little while and compare it against one of your variable scopes. If it's a good quality scope, you should notice that the clarity is way better. The downside is that 10X is a little much inside 50 yards.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top