JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay so first off, thanks to all for your suggestions.
I went to a gun store and a rifle had the Athlon Ares on it. Long story short the scope was great and the owner. Had great things to say about it. As I was "scoping" out the cronus btr already I ended up just ordering one.

That said I mounted it to my bergara hmr and have run into an issue and would like to know the best way to solve it.

I have a 15 moa rail on plus I used my AD recon sl 20 moa scope mount to attach the glass to the rifle. As it sits there is 1/3 inch from the scope to the barrel clearance. With the cheek riser fully fully fully extended I'm still too low to get a good no muscle rest and see through the scope.

The way I see it I have a few options to fix it, but I would prefer to keep the recon mount on unless there's no better way to fix it. I can further build the cheek weld, or flip the rail backwards, or replace the rail if there's a lower overall height rail, or last would be to go with a different way to mount the scope. Please help.

DEFINITELY don't flip the mount or rail. That won't go well. You'll lose elevation adjustment and you won't gain that much height. Right now you're adding 35 MOA of angle to your scope, which actually might give you problems setting zero. I've never used that scope though so it might be fine.

Anyway, given your parameters, the simplest option is probably just to build up your cheek rest a bit. I like the Wiebad stock pads:

Mini Stock Pad

They'll add some comfort and a little cheek height. I just got one recently myself.

If you're still not on, then you'd probably be best off switching to some quality rings. Lots of different opinions on rings, but I stick to Nightforce, Seekins, and ARC, for the most part. Vortex rings are re-badged Seekins, and also fine.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add: There's a long snipershide post about how top split rings can cause issues with scopes maintaining zero. Just keep that in mind if you have issues.

All my scopes are slightly used and outstanding quality and better buys
Some sites to check their classified sites:
Accurate shooter
Snipers hide classified
Long range hunting
24 hr campfire
And others offer great used quality values
I have bought
Nightforce
Burris
Vortex and even Leupold right on this site..
Great alternative to retail and no tax, and more scope for less money

Thanks for the quick response. I have more than enough adjustment in the scope, as a rough conversion I have 100 moa of adjustment. That said I was unaware of the potential issues from a vertical clamp scope mount

It would appear that the ADM recon mounts do not suffer from the problems that other vertical split ring mounts do. That said I really like the mount and will continue to look for another option to solve my problem. I like the mini pad, but in general is the scope just too highly mounted?

It would appear that the ADM recon mounts do not suffer from the problems that other vertical split ring mounts do. That said I really like the mount and will continue to look for another option to solve my problem. I like the mini pad, but in general is the scope just too highly mounted?

Honestly, no it doesn't look that high. It's beneficial to have the scope close to the bore, but in practice I'm not sure it makes a terrific amount of difference, within reasonable tolerances. I've never done the math though. Plus, less than 1/2" over the barrel is really pretty good. I'd go ahead and do something to beef up that cheek rest and see if that gets you where you need to be. As I said, I just got a Weibad mini pad and it's really nice. You could just use some foam and duct tape if you wanted though. Whatever works and is comfortable.

(What is up with these people still giving you scope advice? Eesh.)

I'd go ahead and do something to beef up that cheek rest and see if that gets you where you need to be. As I said, I just got a Weibad mini pad and it's really nice. You could just use some foam and duct tape if you wanted though. Whatever works and is comfortable.

(What is up with these people still giving you scope advice? Eesh.)[/QUOTE]

Will do thank you again, but no duct tape for me. If I had to i would but I don't "have" to so I will order a weibad and move on with life.

People read titles and formulate an opinion regardless of context.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top